• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My build suits a more American cut. Didn't splurge on the jacket, but I had to buy summat, so I grabbed this blue Made in Italy knit shirt instead
View attachment 1604386
£23/$32
Had my second jab today so I'll be off to my seamster in 14 days. Six jackets, two suits and nine pairs of strides to get altered. Looking forward to, and dreading it at the same time.
Just got nine pairs of kegs back from my alteration lady as well, just need to wear them now.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the vested interest , they took £40 million from Gates the eugenicist.

even after Saville died Rantzen (who headed up Childline at the time) admitted that ' we all knew about it'

To be precise, they received funding from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, amongst many other bodies, which in itself has hee-haw to do with eugenics.

Well I know JS did have a rep. What I heard at the time, however, was "If you're a young woman, don't get in the back of a taxi with him," so I have to say I wonder what the "it" was that they "all" knew about. I actually met the bloke once - I was on his Radio 1 talk show - and he looked me up and down once, maybe because I was the only skinhead in the room, I don't know. Meeting him is something I neither hide nor boast about, it just happened. It's to the Beeb's lasting shame they didn't look into all the rumours, though. I think they were running scared because of the powerful people around at the time who had it in for the BBC. Since 1980 we've had a run of right-of-centre governments who are so actively anti-BBC anyway that I'm amazed it still survives.

Screenshot 2021-05-06 at 06.45.18.png

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be precise, they received funding from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, amongst many other bodies, which in itself has hee-haw to do with eugenics.

Well I know JS did have a rep. What I heard at the time, however, was "If you're a young woman, don't get in the back of a taxi with him," so I have to say I wonder what the "it" was that they "all" knew about. I actually met the bloke once - I was on his Radio 1 talk show - and he looked me up and down once, maybe because I was the only skinhead in the room, I don't know. Meeting him is something I neither hide nor boast about, it just happened. It's to the Beeb's lasting shame they didn't look into all the rumours, though. I think they were running scared because of the powerful people around at the time who had it in for the BBC. Since 1980 we've had a run of right-of-centre governments who are so actively anti-BBC anyway that I'm amazed it still survives.

View attachment 1605368
Sorry mate , Gates is not what the BBC are paid to say about him . By paying them , he can go on air and claim he is a health expert and be unchallenged .

I get that you and l did not know what Saville was up to as l thought he was just an annoying grotesque clown but my point was that Rantzen implied that those who worked for the BBC DID know and possibly for varying reason chose to say nothing , whilst the endemic abuse of youngsters continued from the likes of Saville, Stuart Hall and |Harris.
However , once you take money from whatever outside organisation you are no longer a public service broadcaster , you are simply pushing a narrative , which is fine as long as people are aware of that and you wholly give them the choice of not having to pay for a corporation like that.

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maybe he thought he was going to get 'es heed kicked in , God knows he certainly deserved it.

northernbloke12345

Reaction score
Bought this for £22/$30.
View attachment 1603232

Not one for Bri Nylon or any of the 'lenes and 'lons etc (doesn't stop me from buying the stuff though)
I got it because it's a bit of British manufacturing (remember that ?) history.
Marathon Knitwear of Nottingham. Closed down in 1980, so it's 40+ years old and factory-fresh.

Was also thinking of buying this from the US :
View attachment 1603246

Really like the cut of it and it's only £22. The postage is £40 though, and then £15-odd import duty makes it the best part of 80 sheets all-in. I'd have probably paid £80 straight-up if it was a UK item, but the fact that nearly 3/4 of the price is not on the actual item gives it the f**k off from me.
I got a similar one, from UK but before Brexit
View attachment 1603685
Daks, for the equivalent of 23 euros plus p&p. Sleeves need to be lenghtened though.
Lovely checks

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe he thought he was going to get 'es heed kicked in , God knows he certainly deserved it.

Well, he was moderately friendly after that, asked for my opinion a few times.

Anyway, as for all the rest, mmmmmk, you make your point.

Inkss

Reaction score
Decided I would buy that brown check jacket, but it had been sold. Snooze/lose etc.
Got these two BB jackets instead. Being killed with shipping and import from the US, but they're exactly my size, so I've saved on alterations.
bbb.jpg

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1606685
I've been seeing more and more western shirts in these old pics

I wonder if they’re Levi western shirts. Could be the case of “We wear wear Levi jeans, therefore any of their clothing is acceptable”.
I remember in the late ‘80s/early ‘90s when kids were so desperate for the “right gear”, they’d wear a hang glider on their back if it had the Fred Perry laurels on it.

Ivyskin89

Reaction score
I wonder if they’re Levi western shirts. Could be the case of “We wear wear Levi jeans, therefore any of their clothing is acceptable”.
I remember in the late ‘80s/early ‘90s when kids were so desperate for the “right gear”, they’d wear a hang glider on their back if it had the Fred Perry laurels on it.

I'm certainly guilty of that myself.

Kind of digging the western shirt actually

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I remember having a 'Mille Chemises' western shirt in my rather gauche(!) French phase, before I got in with the Blackpool late mod scene. From the era, I can only remember one person with a Levi shirt, and he was the non-mod singer in a local band. I remember liking the shirt, but deciding it wasn't in 'the look'.

I never saw any in London, during the era.

Somewhere I have an ancient, fraying, western shirt by Wrangler that I haven't the heart to get rid of.

Inkss

Reaction score
I don't think I could pull off a Western shirt. Not with my build/face.
Less bucolic chic, more actual farm labourer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads