• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah l see . I don't watch the BBC, MoM but l know what is now.?

I don't know whether that's on principle, but if it is, I'd urge you to swallow it just to get the whole back-story of Line of Duty. It is outrageously brilliant.

Inkss

Reaction score
Bought this for £22/$30.
polo1.jpg

Not one for Bri Nylon or any of the 'lenes and 'lons etc (doesn't stop me from buying the stuff though)
I got it because it's a bit of British manufacturing (remember that ?) history.
Marathon Knitwear of Nottingham. Closed down in 1980, so it's 40+ years old and factory-fresh.

Was also thinking of buying this from the US :
s-l1600.jpg

Really like the cut of it and it's only £22. The postage is £40 though, and then £15-odd import duty makes it the best part of 80 sheets all-in. I'd have probably paid £80 straight-up if it was a UK item, but the fact that nearly 3/4 of the price is not on the actual item gives it the f**k off from me.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These taxes and import duties are a real ball ache eh? And seem to be getting worse.
@Inkss you need to buy a whole load of gear and have it all sent to my gaff. Then book a holiday over here and you can come and pick it up. (Lucky you’re not a 38L / 30 waist or there might not be much left for you to pick up!)

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really like the cut
Me too, and the pattern as well. Single vent?
I too hate to pay more money for p&p and duties than the cost of the item itself - and that's why with Brexit I almost quit buying from UK.
But that jacket is really nice ...

Inkss

Reaction score
These taxes and import duties are a real ball ache eh? And seem to be getting worse.
@Inkss you need to buy a whole load of gear and have it all sent to my gaff. Then book a holiday over here and you can come and pick it up. (Lucky you’re not a 38L / 30 waist or there might not be much left for you to pick up!)
It used to be under £15 and there was no import duty (around US$20.50 today) with a bit of wiggle room either way. I'd usually be alright up to around $40, but as of January it's been automatic on any price (on ebay anyway)
I don't know if US tariffs have changed since Brexit as well the EU. The stuff I buy from the EU is now 20% more than it was last year.

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know whether that's on principle, but if it is, I'd urge you to swallow it just to get the whole back-story of Line of Duty. It is outrageously brilliant.
Stopped watching the BBC around 6 yrs ago , a corrupt organisation as far as l can see , MoM.

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought this for £22/$30.
View attachment 1603232

Not one for Bri Nylon or any of the 'lenes and 'lons etc (doesn't stop me from buying the stuff though)
I got it because it's a bit of British manufacturing (remember that ?) history.
Marathon Knitwear of Nottingham. Closed down in 1980, so it's 40+ years old and factory-fresh.

Was also thinking of buying this from the US :
View attachment 1603246

Really like the cut of it and it's only £22. The postage is £40 though, and then £15-odd import duty makes it the best part of 80 sheets all-in. I'd have probably paid £80 straight-up if it was a UK item, but the fact that nearly 3/4 of the price is not on the actual item gives it the f**k off from me.
There is a USA company l buy from for my business and recently RM have delivered straight to the door . The guy in CT works out the postage and around 6 days later l get my goods whereas previously l has to go pick up the stuff and pay the fees. ?

Inkss

Reaction score
One of those 'yoof' discussion programmes from 1980

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It used to be under £15 and there was no import duty (around US$20.50 today) with a bit of wiggle room either way. I'd usually be alright up to around $40, but as of January it's been automatic on any price (on ebay anyway)
I don't know if US tariffs have changed since Brexit as well the EU. The stuff I buy from the EU is now 20% more than it was last year.

i recently sent a small subcultural fanzine from Boston, USA to England via usual Airmail, and it cost $26!!!!!!
I was absolutely floored at the uptick in postage recently.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stopped watching the BBC around 6 yrs ago , a corrupt organisation as far as l can see , MoM.

And the irony of that is not lost on me, as Line of Duty is all about corruption within an organisation.

All I can say is, if you're missing good stuff that is indepentently made for the organisation, then maybe you can take a more judicious line, rather than one where you cut off your own nose (that's not meant offensively, it's just the only common phrase that works).

If you have less of an objection to ITV, say, then the good news is that they have commissioned at least one series from Jed Mercurio, the writer of Line of Duty.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
It is well known that the BBC planned the Covid-19 pandemic (that of course doesn't exist, all those people that died are BBC "fake news"), is responsible for Paul Weller haircut - his hairdresser escaped from a BBC laboratory - and of course murdered Lady Di to increase their audience... :-D

benj84

Reaction score
I picked up this from a charity shop for €22, wondering if any one has idea of a date?

Attachments

• IMG_20210427_165358.jpg
    IMG_20210427_165358.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20210427_165351.jpg
    IMG_20210427_165351.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 36

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads