• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

donkeyjacket2

Reaction score
I honestly thought they were higher rise than that they look it on the pics, but i guess they were young and skinny so it would appear like that, personally don't go below a 12 inch rise now.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1565514 View attachment 1565515
Had these done up by Martin Greenfield in Brooklyn. This is some 60s hopsack sta prest fabric I had. I gave them a pair of vintage sta prest to copy. I'd say they made em spot on. They are an 11" rise just like the vintage ones. This color is a light olive green. I love this color.

Just like I remember, a magnificently plain trouser.

I honestly thought they were higher rise than that they look it on the pics, but i guess they were young and skinny so it would appear like that, personally don't go below a 12 inch rise now.

Proportions have changed. Young men seem to have a proportionally longer upper body these days. I think that's why their suits are cut a bit Norman Wisdom.

Ivyskin89

Reaction score

Proportions have changed. Young men seem to have a proportionally longer upper body these days. I think that's why their suits are cut a bit Norman Wisdom.

It's strange how hard it is to find a plain flat front trouser with a decent rise

Inkss

Reaction score
Got these vintage Made in USA Haggar Forever-Prest with a 12" rise for £15/$21
hag.jpg

hag2.jpg

They're a straight leg, but a bit too wide at the moment. Another thing to add to my seamster's pile.
Got a years worth of togs to go over to him. Gonna cost me a bloody fortune. Then again I've saved a few bob being stuck inside for a whole f**king year.

Last edited:

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like short suit jacket but some do look a bit ridiculous like Norman Wisdom or Alexi Sayle even. .

Swampster

Reaction score
Length and tightness have always varied over the years. It might suit the sellers to use less cloth but they also respond to fashion - or try to set new ones - which is a better way of selling us more. We could all be stuck in zoot suits otherwise.
(Though in 2019 it seems some designers were heading back way).

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Length and tightness have always varied over the years.

When you see elbow patches sewn halfway up the tricep it's clear something else is going on, the whole form is being degraded. It's as if a 'designer' is just scaling something (that was once properly tailored) up or down on CAD.

Last edited:

Inkss

Reaction score
Because I can't f**king help myself, I ended up buying another parka (the one on ebay I posted earlier)
It's a 1984 contract M65 made by Selma Apparel Corp. Bought a replacement hood as it didn't have one. So with the new hood, I'm into it for £60/$83. Which is probably at least half of what I could sell it on for tomorrow if I wanted. (which I won't)
IMAG0001.jpg

A bit more green in person than in my terrible photos.
Just another bloody item for 'Little Ink's Surplus Shack'

Inkss

Reaction score
When you see elbow patches sewn halfway up the tricep it's clear something else is going on, the whole form is being degraded. It's as if a 'designer' is just scaling something (that was once properly tailored) up or down on CAD.
The Gant Madras jacket I bought last year had elbow patches where my wrists are when I bought it. Granted, the sleeves were 6 inches too long. But seeing as it was a 42s, which is my size (more or less, and yes I usually have to take the sleeves up an inch or so), but the jacket seemed to be designed for Mr Tickle or someone who'd had a comedy weight-lifting accident.

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because I can't f**king help myself, I ended up buying another parka (the one on ebay I posted earlier)
It's a 1984 contract M65 made by Selma Apparel Corp. Bought a replacement hood as it didn't have one. So with the new hood, I'm into it for £60/$83. Which is probably at least half of what I could sell it on for tomorrow if I wanted. (which I won't)
View attachment 1568056
That is a great price for an M-65 these days Inkss , especially as the condition looks excellent . Like yourself l recently aquired another parka which is also an M-65 , this time it is an NOS and comes with genuine coyote ruff . It is quite a dark green even compared to my M-51 , though a good bit lighter than the M-51 and l reckon with this one it might remain patchless apart fom that strip that they have on the right tit. .

donkeyjacket2

Reaction score
View attachment 1568056
Ebay addiction is a bastard innit?
FFS , where did you get that caricature of me. .

Looks like me an all these days, nowt wrong with traditional northern dress

Inkss

Reaction score
Found a similar condition M65, also a '84 contract in the same size made by Selma Apparel Corp :

Looks like I deffo got myself a bargain.

Ivyskin89

Reaction score
That is a great price for an M-65 these days Inkss , especially as the condition looks excellent . Like yourself l recently aquired another parka which is also an M-65 , this time it is an NOS and comes with genuine coyote ruff . It is quite a dark green even compared to my M-51 , though a good bit lighter than the M-51 and l reckon with this one it might remain patchless apart fom that strip that they have on the right tit. .

Bin the fur. Trust me it's the right move.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads