• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

SoCalBoy

Reaction score
Over the last week treated myself to some DM ‘Smiths’ and the Allen Edmonds MacNeil in the sales. Also pictured is the DM ‘Antique Temperley 1461. I love myself some DM shoes, crucify me :laugh:

Attachments

• F7043E8E-A5FB-4760-BEDA-5BC7780384F4.jpeg
    F7043E8E-A5FB-4760-BEDA-5BC7780384F4.jpeg
    242.6 KB · Views: 178

Northants bloke

Reaction score
Yes, it's just Rushden that I was talking of.
I've been to Barker, Cheaney, Church's, C&J, Trickers, Loake's and NPS's factory shops. It might be frustrating have wide feet reducing my choice, but at least I stand a chance of coming away from them without blowing my entire bank balance :)
is Loake's the one in Market Harboruough?

Northants bloke

Reaction score
Elsewhere on that site, there is a list of the Rushden shoemakers who used to be there. In the 1930s there were over 40. I think it is now down to 4, and much (most?) of their production is overseas.

My impressions of Rushden/Wellingborough areas these days
Sargents (probably made just Rushden?)
Grensons (mostly in India some still in Rushden)
Sanders (probably just Rushden)
John Whites (no longer local although they still pedal their past heritage- they used to own most of Rushden town centre)
DB shoes in Irchestrer Road?
Itshide (Odells) soles are also Rushden near Sargents

Nearby
DMs (Griggs) - Wollaston mostly Asian
NPS/Solovair -Wollaston all local
Coxs - Wellingborough trainers?
Barkers Earls Barton (part made locally but mostly ?)

Swampster

Reaction score
is Loake's the one in Market Harboruough?
That’s right. It’s an outlet for the factory but not right next to it, unlike Cheaney, Barker etc.
I think it’s only been open a year or so. I have had very good service from them.

Northants bloke

Reaction score
That’s right. It’s an outlet for the factory but not right next to it, unlike Cheaney, Barker etc.
I think it’s only been open a year or so. I have had very good service from them.
I had a brief look in Market Harborough last year but I still prefer Cheaney.
NPS would be of more interest to me if they offered half sizes but to be honest with more than 20 pairs of Cheaney's I shouldn't hurrry.
I think it is a pity none of the Rushden factories have an outlet yet at Rushden Lakes Shopping Centre.

Swampster

Reaction score
I had a brief look in Market Harborough last year but I still prefer Cheaney.
NPS would be of more interest to me if they offered half sizes but to be honest with more than 20 pairs of Cheaney's I shouldn't hurrry.
I think it is a pity none of the Rushden factories have an outlet yet at Rushden Lakes Shopping Centre.
I bought one pair of NPS but I also really wanted a half size.
I have a couple of pairs of Cheaneys and keep thinking about getting some Avons.

alkydrinker

Reaction score
Did everyone already hear this song BOGO Skin that went viral a couple months ago?:

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, and I don't get half of it, but the rest is mildly amusing.

alkydrinker

Reaction score
No, and I don't get half of it, but the rest is mildly amusing.
Yeah, it’s part of a short 4-song EP that apparently went viral when it came out. (Go to the YouTube user account to access the other 3 songs.) Apparently there were punk, oi, hardcore, and metal fans across various message boards in awe about how good the music is (even tho the songs are short and have unserious lyrics). I guess the guys who made it just put it out anonymously as a semi-joke.

I don’t completely get all the references either, but as it seems to be about ppl copying early British skinhead fashion I thought some here might be amused.

Tho I’m also a little confused about who the people are that they are directing this toward. I’ve gone to a lot of oi/skinhead shows here in the US and I never seeing anyone trying hard to copy an early skinhead look with argyle sweaters and such.

Tho I guess I do get suggestions on Instagram for accounts that show skinhead fashion....they seem to be small-scale and scattered from various international locations. But overall, I don’t really see “early skinhead poseuring” as a phenomenon that really exists to any extent that it is worth mentioning.

Last edited:

Ivyskin89

Reaction score
Yeah, it’s part of a short 4-song EP that apparently went viral when it came out. (Go to the YouTube user account to access the other 3 songs.) Apparently there were punk, oi, hardcore, and metal fans across various message boards in awe about how good the music is (even tho the songs are short and have unserious lyrics). I guess the guys who made it just put it out anonymously as a semi-joke.

I don’t completely get all the references either, but as it seems to be about ppl copying early British skinhead fashion I thought some here might be amused.

Tho I’m also a little confused about who the people are that they are directing this toward. I’ve gone to a lot of oi/skinhead shows here in the US and I never seeing anyone trying hard to copy an early skinhead look with argyle sweaters and such.

Tho I guess I do get suggestions on Instagram for accounts that show skinhead fashion....they seem to be small-scale and scattered from various international locations. But overall, I don’t really see “early skinhead poseuring” as a phenomenon that really exists to any extent that it is worth mentioning.
I feel like the very act of assigning a subculture label to oneself is a poserish act. It's hard to land on a concrete definition of what a skinhead is without leaving too much wiggle room.
I got sucked into this nonsense for years trying to mask my insecurities with a label and sense of belonging but it's all pretty shallow and I'd say the guy in the song is projecting hard.

SoCalBoy

Reaction score
I feel like the very act of assigning a subculture label to oneself is a poserish act. It's hard to land on a concrete definition of what a skinhead is without leaving too much wiggle room.
I got sucked into this nonsense for years trying to mask my insecurities with a label and sense of belonging but it's all pretty shallow and I'd say the guy in the song is projecting hard.
Just took a listen, I’m getting mixed messages. Is he calling out people that identify as punk rockers for wearing skinhead style gear? So basically the gear without all the baggage associated with the name skinhead? Or is it some sort of satire where he’s speaking from the POV of a skinhead saying “you’re not a skinhead if you don’t do ABCD”

alkydrinker

Reaction score
My impression is the band is from the rough-and-tumble working class Oi skinhead scene and they are making fun of art school types building a “fake” skinhead identity around buying the right clothes that contain deep references to historical skinhead trends.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics