• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a black and tan was a favourite in other parts of er , the country . Heavy and sweetheart stout but again you'd never ask for a pint .

I never worked in a bar though , mind.
Guinness and scrumpy cider from the handpump, in places like Pompey. You only got a pint though as no bottles involved.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That FP V-neck - it reminds me a bit of the Middlesex CCC sweater my Indian mate wears every time we nip down to the park in St Andrews for some cricket practice. Although of course the FP colours are much brighter. There was a vogue amongst girls (up north 1967, SE London 1968) for wearing cricket-style sweaters.

[Off topic, but when he and I started these "nets" sessions I hadn't held a bat for 30 years. But having watched so much of the modern game on TV, I altered my technique and am now a much better batsman. Mind you, I have to be - my mate can bowl right arm fast, left arm fast, and right arm leg-breaks!]
Are you at St. Andrews MoM?
My niece has just started there.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you at St. Andrews MoM?
My niece has just started there.

Yep, I'm doing a PhD at the School of English. Also I'm an Assistant Warden at David Russell Apartments / Fife Park. What's your neice studying, and where is she staying?

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, I'm doing a PhD at the School of English. Also I'm an Assistant Warden at David Russell Apartments / Fife Park. What's your neice studying, and where is she staying?
I’ll have to ask.
She’s only 16 1/2 which I think is awfully young to be off to college but that’s the system the porridge munchers have. I think she’s studying astrophysics or something wonderfully nerdy like that.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ll have to ask.
She’s only 16 1/2 which I think is awfully young to be off to college but that’s the system the porridge munchers have. I think she’s studying astrophysics or something wonderfully nerdy like that.

We do have a relatively high number of under-18s. Daughter Ruth was 17 when she started at Glasgow.

Inkss

Reaction score

Pleased to see Fred Perry making an effort here. If FP starts having right wing connotations it would break my heart (as a wearer of this brand since I could crawl!)
Didn't this happen with Lonsdale a few years back, with German neo Nazis?
After the Facebook 'skinhead' debacle earlier this year, it's a shame
Black Shirts have always had yellow streaks.

Inkss

Reaction score
Might be of some interest to some of youse. There's a repeat of 'Handmade : By Royal Appointment' on BBC4 tonight at 11pm, featuring shoemakers John Lobb.
It might be good. It might be a ..................

Cutdown69

Reaction score
I didn't know Mussolinis or Enoch Powell's black shirts had yellow..does it mean anything symbolic? These US right wing seem to be embracing and using the laurel wreath.Other than as a Fred Perry tag, historically a symbol of victory.

Swampster

Reaction score
Mosley started with grey and black but switched to plain black based on his fencing shirt.

Spode had black shorts ?

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always liked the black w/yellow piping Freds due to them being the colors of my city’s ice hockey team.
Just like so many other things, the Proud Boys will fade and die, too.

Inkss

Reaction score
I didn't know Mussolinis or Enoch Powell's black shirts had yellow..does it mean anything symbolic? These US right wing seem to be embracing and using the laurel wreath.Other than as a Fred Perry tag, historically a symbol of victory.
I think the laurel is a reference to their Laurel & Hardy-style ineptitude.

Cutdown69

Reaction score
I think the laurel is a reference to their Laurel & Hardy-style ineptitude.
I hope so.. They all laughed at Adolf's Charlie Chaplin impersonation, and look what happened to that speed freak

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pleased to see Fred Perry making an effort here. If FP starts having right wing connotations it would break my heart (as a wearer of this brand since I could crawl!)
Didn't this happen with Lonsdale a few years back, with German neo Nazis?
After the Facebook 'skinhead' debacle earlier this year, it's a shame

Interesting position for Fred Perry to take , on a little known 'organisation' that they have deemed 'far-right', perhaps even a bit rich .
Fred Perry use companies wholly owned by the CCP to do much of their manufacturing and in retrospect , we all look back on the Nazi treatment of the Jews and say why didn't we do something about it , if only we knew etc.
Move forward to today , the Chinese treatment of the Uyghur Muslims which is an obvious genocide remains largely the elephant in the room . A population of 11 million in the Xinjang region echoes the 8 million population of European Jews in the 30ts. Satelite images of vast concentration camps and images of prisoners lined up in railroad yards . Forced sterilisation of women then 30 tons of human hair turns up in the USA market .
How can we tolerate this ?
Why are the Chinese building a power plant in England and still carrying on business as usual with this lot ? What are we afraid of or is it just like the 30ts again ? At least then nobody had ever seen genocide on an industrial level , no excuse now .
You can say what you like about Donald J Trump but he today is the only world leader in history telling it like it is and starting to hold this monstorous regime to account . He may have his own agenda but unless we all condemn this atrocity then shame on us .
Unlike our father's generation we can't say " but we had no idea" .
The last item of clothing l bought from Fred Perry was made in the Kingdom of Scotland but l will be avoiding buying anything now that l know is made in China by the CCP and l would encourage others to do the same .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads