• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s a ‘light and bitter’ . The ‘pint of’ is redundant. One of the attractions of the drink was that the total amount of liquid was often considerably more than a pint. The Norvern or Midlands equivalent is a ‘brown and mild’. The other attraction was that the bottled beer improved the taste of the draught beer which might not be well kept or, in the case of mild, had a dodgy reputation anyway.

I saw Caine’s role in the film as a cockney geezer with very distant connections to the North East.
a black and tan was a favourite in other parts of er , the country . Heavy and sweetheart stout but again you'd never ask for a pint .

I never worked in a bar though , mind.

Ivyskin89

Reaction score
The spoils from my trip to NYC last week

IMG_20200927_233205705.jpg
IMG_20200927_233618507.jpg

Yes it's velvet ?

IMG_20200927_234316637.jpg
IMG_20200927_235541190.jpg
IMG_20200928_000016414.jpg

Ivyskin89

Reaction score
Love that tennis jumper - was that from the FP shop or a vintage joint somewhere?
Vintage store on St Marks called Search and Destroy. The shop has a 70s vivian westwood sex theme and is totally in your face. So many goodies there

Ivyskin89

Reaction score
Yeah wearing that jumper would be too risky also. You should sell it on to me.

It came with a few stains, same with the jacket, which is why I feel better about wearing them. I paid an arm and a leg for them even with the stains!

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It came with a few stains, same with the jacket, which is why I feel better about wearing them. I paid an arm and a leg for them even with the stains!
Love the jacket too.
I searched high and low and got one off eBay for a decent price. Unlined. Slightly small for me. Then they reissued them a couple of years ago and I went and got a MiE one. This one looks the same but it’s slightly bigger and has lining plus the slidey sleeve lining. Then I tracked down a sky blue one too.
Debating whether to sell the smaller white one. I rarely need a jacket anyway and I have these two plus two Harringtons. It’s a disease I tell ya!

Ivyskin89

Reaction score
Love the jacket too.
I searched high and low and got one off eBay for a decent price. Unlined. Slightly small for me. Then they reissued them a couple of years ago and I went and got a MiE one. This one looks the same but it’s slightly bigger and has lining plus the slidey sleeve lining. Then I tracked down a sky blue one too.
Debating whether to sell the smaller white one. I rarely need a jacket anyway and I have these two plus two Harringtons. It’s a disease I tell ya!

Exactly. I don't know why I feel like I need all this stuff. I often think about how the more working class original skinheads probably had one good shirt and pants and wore them until they were threadbare.

You always think more is going to be better and make you happier but in the end it's just stuff..

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly. I don't know why I feel like I need all this stuff. I often think about how the more working class original skinheads probably had one good shirt and pants and wore them until they were threadbare.

You always think more is going to be better and make you happier but in the end it's just stuff..
Well there’s an instant gratification in buying nice stuff but I’m sure my wardrobe is pretty much saturated for all needs so I’ve been trying to slow down for a while. With limited success!
I keep reading in the current climate that there’s an alleged trend for buying less but buying better. Wise words of course but a bit late for me!
I do plan to get rid of some stuff on eBay which will ease my materialistic guilt a bit!

Ivyskin89

Reaction score
I placed an order for a full size run of 7 eyelet astronauts in brown. I asked for the white collar but they had no white left so I'm going to do a black collar instead. Looks pretty good on the william lennon boots, so should be cool on the solovairs.
Screenshot_20200928-104557~2.png

Cutdown69

Reaction score

Pleased to see Fred Perry making an effort here. If FP starts having right wing connotations it would break my heart (as a wearer of this brand since I could crawl!)
Didn't this happen with Lonsdale a few years back, with German neo Nazis?
After the Facebook 'skinhead' debacle earlier this year, it's a shame

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That FP V-neck - it reminds me a bit of the Middlesex CCC sweater my Indian mate wears every time we nip down to the park in St Andrews for some cricket practice. Although of course the FP colours are much brighter. There was a vogue amongst girls (up north 1967, SE London 1968) for wearing cricket-style sweaters.

[Off topic, but when he and I started these "nets" sessions I hadn't held a bat for 30 years. But having watched so much of the modern game on TV, I altered my technique and am now a much better batsman. Mind you, I have to be - my mate can bowl right arm fast, left arm fast, and right arm leg-breaks!]

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads