• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure if it’s still active but there used to be a website I looked at a few years ago with stills from just about every scene in Get Carter and what they look like in the present day. The lad who took the pics even squirmed his way past barriers to get in the condemned multi story car park where Michael Caine throws Alf Roberts off the roof. It was never finished and condemned ages ago, now torn down.
Alun Armstrong went on to have a long career as a character actor.
There’s a local lad in the pub with six fingers on one hand.
The sniper was on the train with Carter in the opening scene.
The final scene with the coal staithes was filmed on two beaches not far from where I grew up.
Great film!
He comes out of Newcastle station, crosses the road to a pub and asks for a pint of bitter in a ‘thin glass’. Nobody ever asked for that. It was always a straight glass. A light and bitter would have been a more typical order though.

Nowadays he could drink in a very nice pub on the station itself in what used to be a first class waiting room - good selection of beers. Or he could go straight across the road and into the big Wetherspoons.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That probably used to be Yates’ Wine Lodge which was a right scruffy old dive in the eighties. I’m sure it’s much nicer as a spoons.
Michael Caine’s old room mate Terrence Stamp made a film on very similar lines called ‘The resident of Britain‘ which is worth a butchers too.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve spent many an hour in pubs in the north east and worked behind the bar for three years.

I have no idea how a north eastern bloke who lived down south so long he acquired a cockney accent would order a pint in 1970 but I have never in my life heard anyone ever order “a pint of light and bitter”. Ever.

You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Light and Bitter" was the drink of choice for many mates of mine in S.E. London, back in the day. There was a pub over the road from the Savoy Rooms in Catford, and those of us who either were eighteen or could get away with looking eighteen would nip over there half way through the evening. I usually drank bitter, my girlfriend at the time usually drank port and lemon.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait... isn't there a line in Alexei Sayle's 'Ullo John Gotta New Motor" about light and bitter? And even Liebfraumilch and bitter!

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Would be good to have posters from this thread in the new Friday Challenge.
I think Guys like @Inkss, @Botolph, @Ivyskin89, among others could be interested.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve spent many an hour in pubs in the north east and worked behind the bar for three years.

I have no idea how a north eastern bloke who lived down south so long he acquired a cockney accent would order a pint in 1970 but I have never in my life heard anyone ever order “a pint of light and bitter”. Ever.

You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself
It’s a ‘light and bitter’ . The ‘pint of’ is redundant. One of the attractions of the drink was that the total amount of liquid was often considerably more than a pint. The Norvern or Midlands equivalent is a ‘brown and mild’. The other attraction was that the bottled beer improved the taste of the draught beer which might not be well kept or, in the case of mild, had a dodgy reputation anyway.

I saw Caine’s role in the film as a cockney geezer with very distant connections to the North East.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If Caine had been in a Young’s pub(down South) he might have specified a Ram and Special - a stronger version of light and bitter.

andyf

Reaction score

I did order a pint of light and bitter once In the 80s.. Mainly cos was working with a guy between 15-20 years older...so I thought I’d give it a try.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about lager top, a very 80s, poncy, Essex sort of drink (sorry Mr. K!). I remember drinking smooth and something in Southampton but no idea what it actually was.

Inkss

Reaction score
"A Tennents Super and 'K' cider snakebite."
click-click
"In a plastic bottle !"

Inkss

Reaction score
Some photos of mens clothing from various US catologues from the mid-60s
catolo.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads