• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I love about the Mod style is that its (mostly) always been acceptable in the mainstream. Back in the sixties the original Mods went to work and at a glance dressed within the canon of what anyone else was wearing, only with meticulous attention to detail. 60 years later the same can still be said. Outside of a few specific occupations I would suggest h th at being a goth may be a ‘career limiting’ choice.
I read about some goth weekend (is it at Whitby) where people get dressed up in their black ... errr ... finery? but it has to be over the threshold into cosplay if Joe is back to work on Monday doing second shift at the post office!

Swampster

Reaction score
What I love about the Mod style is that its (mostly) always been acceptable in the mainstream. Back in the sixties the original Mods went to work and at a glance dressed within the canon of what anyone else was wearing, only with meticulous attention to detail. 60 years later the same can still be said. Outside of a few specific occupations I would suggest h th at being a goth may be a ‘career limiting’ choice.
I read about some goth weekend (is it at Whitby) where people get dressed up in their black ... errr ... finery? but it has to be over the threshold into cosplay if Joe is back to work on Monday doing second shift at the post office!
I was thinking exactly the same. I knew a deputy head who would go to the Whitby weekends - once back at school she was as normal as anything. Only a preference for purple betrayed her inclinations. If you haven't seen the Noel Fielding episode of the IT Crowd showing the career limitation, then I would recommend it.

The whole Steampunk thing is even more into Cosplay.

Inkss

Reaction score
Not for me, but quite interesting :
ton1.jpg

ton4.jpg

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As for TOTP, the years roughly 77 to 82 will usually have something decent on, but usually there is a lot of stuff I would rather skip. There is very little disco that I like...

Those dates are spot on, from 1977 when punk was let into the charts until things got really crap from 1983 onwards, but I did like stuff like Sister Sledge and Chic as well as punk and 2 Tone (and of course Sweet from the early 70s).

Modern goths look quite different to me than the 80s ones
Still prefer how the original punky type ones looked, same with most subcultures, the more you get away from the source the less inspired it looks imo
The girls looked like Siouxsie or Patricia Morrison (Gun Club, Sisters of Mercy) or Cleo from The March Violets or Joan Jett or Daryl Hannah as Priss in ‘Bladerunner’. Spike heel boots, fishnets, leather jackets and mini skirts.

The first Goth girls were just very plain very black punks, plus lace fingerless gloves and maybe a lace veil. And let's not forget the lovely Gaye Advert.

Same with a lot of older ex skinheads iv'e talked to from there 50's to 60's, none of them ever come across as being nasty people, it's ''normal'' people i always had trouble with and still kind of do.

They were the worst, nightclub-going morons and always when you were on your own.

Last edited:

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tend to fly the black/red anarcho-syndicalist flag. It has the added advantage of no bugger ever knowing what it is!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I have a colleague at uni whose self-description is "angry wee goth." Autistic and a sweetheart in fact, with a really individual goth style. I have another colleague who sometimes goes into all-out Morticia Addams mode; when we hang out I'm simply Uncle Fester, and that's that.

donkeyjacket2

Reaction score

Swampster

Reaction score
I tend to fly the black/red anarcho-syndicalist flag. It has the added advantage of no bugger ever knowing what it is!:laugh::laugh::laugh:
More people need to read inter-war history ?
Viva La FAI!
(Needs an upside exclamation mark too!

I probably have enough clothing with Union flags etc to put me in danger of comedy mod-dom, but in my defence I am a bit of a vexillophile and have various other flags including DDR and the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies. The Union flag does work better for style though :)

Cutdown69

Reaction score
Union flag skinny fit t shirts worn by teenage herbert's looked cool in the early 80s..probably worn by people too young to have any serious political ideologies.. Just naive allegiances. Or a flag draped over Weller's amp in the early Jam days.. echoes of the Who. These days the sight of a union flag on eg a scooter or helmet strikes me as naff. Isn't tribalism just a reflection of people's insecurities (and that could extend to patriotism & flag waving.. Blind allegiance)

Swampster

Reaction score
I learnt a bit of a lesson regarding symbolism and politics in Poland in the mid90s. I spent a summer there and on a day trip to Krakow a bunch of us bought Polish Eagle* tee shirts.
We wore them in the dining hall the next day and you could have cut the air with a knife. Seems only far-right Poles would ever wear them (apart from tourists).

*plus the Scrabble players delight which means Polish Republic

Inkss

Reaction score
The Union Flag is indeed a striking, pretty much perfect piece of graphic design.
That is a nice suit, would of considered it if it was my size and a little cheaper, the cut on my tailer early 70s terylene suit isnt that different.
A 42" chest and a 32" waist though ? Was the previous owner Mr I. Sosceles ?

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I learnt a bit of a lesson regarding symbolism and politics in Poland in the mid90s. I spent a summer there and on a day trip to Krakow a bunch of us bought Polish Eagle* tee shirts.
We wore them in the dining hall the next day and you could have cut the air with a knife. Seems only far-right Poles would ever wear them (apart from tourists).

*plus the Scrabble players delight which means Polish Republic
I have never had a problem with flags and fail to see quite frankly what the problem is with the flag of St George , which is used by other countries outside of England . Certain fitba teams get into flag waving and so be it .
There is a guy who lives a few streets away from me who has a flag pole in his garden and recently he has been flying the CCP flag , which l can only surmise is to antagonise 1 or 2 of his neighbours makes no sense otherwise

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads