• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Inkss

Reaction score
Always hated the lapels on the brown barleycorn jacket I bought a while back. The width and the shape.
My seamster is still closed, and I'm still bored, so I thought I'd have a go at re-shaping the lapels myself. I probably wasn't going to wear the jacket, so if I f***** it up, it was no real loss.
I couldn't do too much with the width because of the buttonhole placement, but I managed to take out about 1cm of curve and straighten them up.
barley.jpg

Not the greatest job, but better than I expected.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Inkss ... do you already have, or have honed, some special skill, or is this just the outcome of patient work?
I'm jealous

Inkss

Reaction score
I've started doing a bit of sewing recently. (Buttons, button loop cord and hood-fur on a few parkas, patches on a Ma1, trouser turn-ups etc.) Not done much else before though.
I marked the shape I wanted on the back of the lapels and opened up the seam stitchnig, folded in the fabric to the line and pressed a crease in the fabric with the front and back pieces, leaving a small overlap on the folded-over front piece to stitch to on the back. I cut off the excess folded-over fabric on the inside and pinned it all in place. I then stitched the lapels back together from the back. I took my time and used a jewellers loupe to see what I was doing close up.
I just noted how it was put together when I took it apart, and did the same in reverse after I altered it.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got back in touch with an old mate from my scooter club days, and he sent me this YouTube link of our club in Scarborough in 1983. He's the one in the middle, I remember not wanting to be filmed as my hair was a mess from wearing my helmet for the 2 hour ride there.

Ivyskin89

Reaction score
Sorry but I disagree.
One thing is to spend money and try to be smart, another is to spend a lot of money and look like a slob ...

Agreed, but I have to admit I'll spend money on some distressed beat up work wear.

Inkss

Reaction score
Brooks Brothers seersucker jacket arrived from the US.
bbss.jpg

Also bought this lightweight jacket for £18/$23.50. (Seller's photo)
palaz1.jpg

Bought from this seller in Slovakia :

Purchased several items from the seller now. He's usually got a few interesting things in stock.

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers seersucker jacket arrived from the US.
View attachment 1435794

Also bought this lightweight jacket for £18/$23.50. (Seller's photo)
View attachment 1435801

Bought from this seller in Slovakia :

Purchased several items from the seller now. He's usually got a few interesting things in stock.
In my opinion a seersucker jacket is a must have for the summer , even on a day like today you can wear it under a raincoat.

Last edited:

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my opinion a seersucker jacket is a must have for the summer , even on a day like today you can wear it under a raincoat.

Absolutely. I have a navy J. Press seersucker jacket that I‘ve been wearing in the sweltering New England heat and humidity. Just the thing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads