• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

donkeyjacket2

Reaction score
It depressed me when I got to my late 30s and realised that Mrs Robinson would have been about the same age. Anne Bancroft was only 35 at the time which is not far off how old Mrs R was supposed to be.

OTOH, Hoffman was far older than Ben (and much shorter than he is in the book!) EDIT - Didn't realise Ross was almost ten years older than her character, too.

Always liked the look in the film, though I might pass on the scuba gear.

I always thought Anne was older than 35-36 in the graduate, still think she looked pretty fine into her late 40s.

Inkss

Reaction score
Picked up a 3/2 roll Brooks Brothers seersucker jacket from the US for £14.27/$18. Unfortunately the postage is £30/$37.80. But £45 all-in isn't bad, and at under £15, I pay no import duty.
seer.jpg

Hopefully there's still some summer left by the time it turns up.

Inkss

Reaction score
Cheers. It's actually a blue and white (bad listing photo)
Used to pick up a lot more bargains from the US before the £ tanked
seers2.jpg

I got a black and white one a while back that still needs altering. God knows when I'm gonna get over to my fella again though. He's been closed since April.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ooh er mrs. .

ETA; aye Anne Bancroft was possibly passed her best . However , in more recent times when Kathrine Ross pitched up in Donnie Darke , she still looked good. .
Saw The Graduate at the Gielgud theatre in London in the early 2000's, Amanda Donohoe played Mrs Robinson, and was on stage totally starkers, she had just replaced Jerry Hall in the part, I was a bit disappointed about that, only for artistic preferences of course.?

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw The Graduate at the Gielgud theatre in London in the early 2000's, Amanda Donohoe played Mrs Robinson, and was on stage totally starkers, she had just replaced Jerry Hall in the part, I was a bit disappointed about that, only for artistic preferences of course.?
Of course , of course what other preferences are there, after all . .

Inkss

Reaction score
Also picked up a 'Some college I never went to' pullover anorak/scooter smock. A bit cazsh, but it's probably gonna p**s down all summer.
ucla.jpg

Swampster

Reaction score
Love that top, I've got something similar in sand, that I bought from Margaret Howell years ago.
What material are they? They are a similar cut to the Belstaff tops we wore on an activity holiday when I was a teen which I rather liked*. Soon after, they had a short time of being popular with the local football trendies (and perhaps further afield too). [EDIT - looking online, I think they were called a Dalesman]

One of my very trendy friends wanted one and his parents spent ages and a fair bit of cash getting him one. Trouble is, he was rather short for his age and he had a child's version with an elasticated hood which he hated. I think he only wore it once.

*Unconscious 'Heroes of Telemark' delusions I suspect.

Last edited:

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also picked up a 'Some college I never went to' pullover anorak/scooter smock. A bit cazsh, but it's probably gonna p**s down all summer.
View attachment 1424411
I have always liked those scooter smock numbers they have in JtG and yours looks mint but l don't think it would suit me personally . .

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What material are they? They are a similar cut to the Belstaff tops we wore on an activity holiday when I was a teen which I rather liked*. Soon after, they had a short time of being popular with the local football trendies (and perhaps further afield too). [EDIT - looking online, I think they were called a Dalesman]

One of my very trendy friends wanted one and his parents spent ages and a fair bit of cash getting him one. Trouble is, he was rather short for his age and he had a child's version with an elasticated hood which he hated. I think he only wore it once.

*Unconscious 'Heroes of Telemark' delusions I suspect.
It’s a very short journey between ‘Heroes of Telemark’ and junior school kids walking in a crocodile wearing their cagoules on a school trip to the zoo on a rainy day!

I can see why they might work during a summer shower when out riding a scooter. I was always bemused by the obscene amounts of cash some of the casual lads were ready to put down for what was essentially a nylon cagoule with a name brand. I suppose we’ve all thrown silly money at certain objects of desire but sometimes that can be justified by heritage, materials, workmanship, custom tailoring, etc. I don’t really see that with extruded nylon!

Swampster

Reaction score
It’s a very short journey between ‘Heroes of Telemark’ and junior school kids walking in a crocodile wearing their cagoules on a school trip to the zoo on a rainy day!

I can see why they might work during a summer shower when out riding a scooter. I was always bemused by the obscene amounts of cash some of the casual lads were ready to put down for what was essentially a nylon cagoule with a name brand. I suppose we’ve all thrown silly money at certain objects of desire but sometimes that can be justified by heritage, materials, workmanship, custom tailoring, etc. I don’t really see that with extruded nylon!
That's why I asked about the material. The ones I liked were cotton - gabardine I suppose.

Inkss

Reaction score
I was searching for a LL Bean one or a decent cotton/canvas one, and that one turned up for £15/$19, so I had at it.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's why I asked about the material. The ones I liked were cotton - gabardine I suppose.
Yeah there’s quite a prominent pic in Richard Barnes’ book of a lad on a scooter with plastic shades, a shell sign and wearing one of those
. A lot of scooter riding Mods see the practicality of parkas but prefer to step away from the ‘We are the Mods’ image. Those smocks work better in warmer weather and have the practicality without the cheesy identikit Mod associations. Better yet if they’re cotton not nylon, and in ‘Telemark’ royal blue rather than olive drab!

Found it!

E7FF8E5B-AF75-4583-AA60-B26952DD9009.jpeg

For the sake of comparison here’s Kirk ...

162B912C-4F19-4868-B01D-F11DD50716F2.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads