• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JTG have suggested some nice looks, clean as hell. Too bad their micro-slim trousers are, well, micro-slim.

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burford is an F. Bedale is a G. The Pennine last is also quite rounded on the toe. I have two pairs of boots and three pairs of shoes on this last.
Nice , which shoes are from that last. .

Last edited:

Swampster

Reaction score
Nice , which shows are from that last. .
I have the Edward and the Worton, which are both rubber soles ('Victory' and 'Dainite'), and another which is like the Edward but on leather called the Ashby. Mine are in brown, navy and tan respectively. The blue Wortons were a bit of an impulse buy at the factory shop - they took me back to some blue shoes I had as a teenager. However, being darker, they are a bit more subtle and work in many situations when I might otherwise wear black.
Loake do a Chelsea boot on the same last which I may go for, though without the laces to adjust the fit I may find it sloppy.

The Edward and Ashby are Oxfords but the shape of the last lets them work with less formal wear then most Oxfords would. The Badminton, on the other hand, is a Derby but on a more tapered last which I think makes it look a bit more formal. Even though it can be bought in a G, I found the 026 last pinched me too much - less room over the instep.

Last edited:

Swampster

Reaction score
Tried on a chelsea boot at the Loake shop this morning. A bit long for my stubby feet but otherwise a nice fit even if I had to go up a half size. Trouble is, I would need to hire a valet to remove them at the end of the day.

Last edited:

Swampster

Reaction score
A few TK Maxx buys from the weekend.
Both jackets are 3 button 2
I think they must ship them up your way, knowing that you will buy them :)
There are six TKs which I can easily get to, and I have yet to see any 3 button jackets. Went to one this morning.

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the Edward and the Worton, which are both rubber soles ('Victory' and 'Dainite'), and another which is like the Edward but on leather called the Ashby. Mine are in brown, navy and tan respectively. The blue Wortons were a bit of an impulse buy at the factory shop - they took me back to some blue shoes I had as a teenager. However, being darker, they are a bit more subtle and work in many situations when I might otherwise wear black.
Loake do a Chelsea boot on the same last which I may go for, though without the laces to adjust the fit I may find it sloppy.

The Edward and Ashby are Oxfords but the shape of the last lets them work with less formal wear then most Oxfords would. The Badminton, on the other hand, is a Derby but on a more tapered last which I think makes it look a bit more formal. Even though it can be bought in a G, I found the 026 last pinched me too much - less room over the instep.
I probably have narrow feet so the Burford is adequate whereas the Loake Chelsea boots l own are a neat fit . I have also 3 pairs of Loake shoes but none of the ones that you mention but l do have a pair of 200b's that are a G fitting which are great for when i have to be in a pair of formal shoes on for a whole day. .
The Burfords often get compliments from others , l even had a guy in a supermarket one day asking me which make my Burfords were.
I found a Loake shop up in the city shortly before the house arrest kicked in but l have not been in it yet , most of my Loake's have came from the shop in Strutton Ground , the guys in there are first rate. .

Inkss

Reaction score
I like that corduroy RL jacket Yorkie.
mike.jpg

Always liked Pacino's look in a similar jacket in Godfather (minus the broken jaw)

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or Miss Robinson
ooh er mrs. .

ETA; aye Anne Bancroft was possibly passed her best . However , in more recent times when Kathrine Ross pitched up in Donnie Darke , she still looked good. .

Swampster

Reaction score
ooh er mrs. .

ETA; aye Anne Bancroft was possibly passed her best . However , in more recent times when Kathrine Ross pitched up in Donnie Darke , she still looked good. .
It depressed me when I got to my late 30s and realised that Mrs Robinson would have been about the same age. Anne Bancroft was only 35 at the time which is not far off how old Mrs R was supposed to be.

OTOH, Hoffman was far older than Ben (and much shorter than he is in the book!) EDIT - Didn't realise Ross was almost ten years older than her character, too.

Always liked the look in the film, though I might pass on the scuba gear.

Last edited:

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It depressed me when I got to my late 30s and realised that Mrs Robinson would have been about the same age. Anne Bancroft was only 35 at the time which is not far off how old Mrs R was supposed to be.

OTOH, Hoffman was far older than Ben (and much shorter than he is in the book!) EDIT - Didn't realise Ross was almost ten years older than her character, too.

Always liked the look in the film, though I might pass on the scuba gear.
Hey! Nowt wrong with scuba gear! I love it, me!
Anne Bancroft was only six years older than Hoffman. I used to love that film but have got a bit bored with it after too many viewings. DH has some cool Ivy threads. The whole story is on one hand a bit silly but on the other ... well when I first saw it as a kid I was ‘rooting’ for DH (as the yanks would say!) but after a while you get the feeling he’s a creepy stalker who’s off his head. Announcing to his folks he’s going to marry Elaine without having spoke to her.
Someone did a good commentary on the final scene where they get on the bus full of excitement and joy and freedom, then the camera keeps rolling and there’s the hint of “oh **** - what have we done, and what are we gonna do now?”

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads