• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TSC
IMG_8897.jpg

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They look good @Yorky How well do they take the polish? I have found that the shiny nature of Weejuns today makes it much harder to darken them.
No problem Mr K, I melt the polish apply it when its wet, let it dry and brush it in. My dad showed me the technique when I was a lad, an old Guards technique. I also use his brush, army issued in 1957, and hasn't lost a bristle.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like a Riley Elf not a Wolsey Elf Wolseley Hornet

Last edited:

andyf

Reaction score

Attachments

• 3701B550-B052-42E1-B6EC-B6DCA45F4A77.jpeg
    3701B550-B052-42E1-B6EC-B6DCA45F4A77.jpeg
    338.5 KB · Views: 55
  • C50832F8-9CB8-41C8-9C21-79F939846D78.jpeg
    C50832F8-9CB8-41C8-9C21-79F939846D78.jpeg
    246.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 21EDFF48-3B22-4670-892E-48DBD586AFE6.jpeg
    21EDFF48-3B22-4670-892E-48DBD586AFE6.jpeg
    158 KB · Views: 59
  • 207EBF4A-4DEB-44E0-8877-A11BE6B7B2C7.jpeg
    207EBF4A-4DEB-44E0-8877-A11BE6B7B2C7.jpeg
    181.3 KB · Views: 53

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sweet Andy!
Please provide a full report once you’ve ran it in.
I’ve been waiting for ages for scomadi to get their act together with sales in the US and they’ve blown it. RA sneaked in and got distributorship with Genuine Scooters which was the obvious choice as they previously did the Vespa clones named Stella.

My only beef now is that they only do 150cc over here. If they ever get the 200, or better yet the rumoured 300, then I’m jumping in.

Swampster

Reaction score
No problem Mr K, I melt the polish apply it when its wet, let it dry and brush it in. My dad showed me the technique when I was a lad, an old Guards technique. I also use his brush, army issued in 1957, and hasn't lost a bristle.
Have you brushed it so it is left with a patina of the new colour, or applied enough to more or less create a whole new layer?
I've applied a darker colour to a pair of high shine brogues - the stitching and broguing have picked up the new colour while the rest has more or less stayed as it was.

I suspect a few of us have picked up some military polishing techniques. Dad told of us his national service experience - "The way to get a shine on these boots is with a hot spoon*. If you use a hot spoon on these boots, you will be on a charge. If you do not have a shine on your boots you will be on a charge..."
I was shown how to get a really high shine by a member of the King's Troop, Royal Horse Artillery. Rather than melting the wax before applying, he used a lighter to melt it in situ. This gave a very smooth base to build up the shine, but it formed a crust which could crack. Only really useful for parades and 21 gun salutes. I used it once for a wedding - my mother trod on my foot within minutes of arriving and cracked the shine.

*I think in this case this was as much to get rid of the 'pimples' on the leather to get it smooth.

Last edited:

andyf

Reaction score
Sweet Andy!
Please provide a full report once you’ve ran it in.
I’ve been waiting for ages for scomadi to get their act together with sales in the US and they’ve blown it. RA sneaked in and got distributorship with Genuine Scooters which was the obvious choice as they previously did the Vespa clones named Stella.

My only beef now is that they only do 150cc over here. If they ever get the 200, or better yet the rumoured 300, then I’m jumping in.
I’ve only had it a week. And whilst running in I’ve opened up a couple of times. ( they do recommend doing so but not for long periods). It’s only a 125 but has 14 bhp. So has a lot more grunt than my lc Vespa gts”s I had. I can get up a hill at 45 mph now and not an embarrassing 30!
handles like a dream.
I have watched the sales and people’s enthusiasm shoot up in the last 2 years. I’m not disappointed at all. I’ve got the GP 125 LC s version. So as I say 14bhp. The air cooled GP and the lovely looking GT only has 9.5 bhp. And the GT plastic as opposed to steel panels. ( GP all steel appart from glovebox, horncase and front mudguard. Also double rear shocks on the GP.
There are a few good Royal Alloy facebooks groups I’m in. Which are very helpful generall. ( comedy mod element aside!). But that’s a modern disease throughout the current scooter scene. It’s a wide ranging group a lot go the 125, some 200 and also 300cc. They’re all good in there own way. I’ve not got a full bike licence so I’ve just had to re take another CBT. Which will last me another 2 years.
Get yourself one. You won’t regret it.

Last edited:

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A good buy there Yorky.
Shopping online at TK Maxx is preferable to visiting one of their stores.(well, round my way anyway)
I think the 'TK' stands for technical knockout.
Totally get you on that one , my mrs refused to visit the place when it was open , said it was like a jumble sale . .
However there were some fantastic bargains in there like all wool Baracutas for 50 Sovs. .

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve only had it a week. And whilst running in I’ve opened up a couple of times. ( they do recommend doing so but not for long periods). It’s only a 125 but has 14 bhp. So has a lot more grunt than my lc Vespa gts”s I had. I can get up a hill at 45 mph now and not an embarrassing 30!
handles like a dream.
I have watched the sales and people’s enthusiasm shoot up in the last 2 years. I’m not disappointed at all. I’ve got the GP 125 LC s version. So as I say 14bhp. The air cooled GP and the lovely looking GT only has 9.5 bhp. And the GT plastic as opposed to steel panels. ( GP all steel appart from glovebox, horncase and front mudguard. Also double rear shocks on the GP.
There are a few good Royal Alloy facebooks groups I’m in. Which are very helpful generall. ( comedy mod element aside!). But that’s a modern disease throughout the current scooter scene. It’s a wide ranging group a lot go the 125, some 200 and also 300cc. They’re all good in there own way. I’ve not got a full bike licence so I’ve just had to re take another CBT. Which will last me another 2 years.
Get yourself one. You won’t regret it.
Cheers mate. Great to hear you’re enjoying it. I’ve been impatiently waiting for ages to get one over here. I need to be able to cruise at 70 so need the extra beef. I contacted them and they said they’re working on getting emissions sorted for the whole of the US which is tricky as rules vary state by state and of course California has the strictest of anywhere. Here in Florida I could get most of the places I need to go without getting on the freeway I’m not on Facebook but roam around on the internet from time to time and have read a lot of good reports. They’re bringing out a series 2 style I think with 300cc which is giving some people a boner but I never liked the bulbous mudguard and side panels. I’ve passed my motorbike test here so could ride anything. Good luck!

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The thing with the Style Council is that as shown here they quite often had some good looking threads, at least in the earlier days before the drugs kicked in*, but as much as they tried to give the impression that this was just their regular clothes and they were both just clothing enthusiasts, you see a pic like this and you know they had to have said “OK lets wear our blazers with centre vents and checky trousers and loafers” which either makes it look like they’re in costume after all not just everyday clothes, or that they deliberately put the same gear on like you would with your best mate in the infants school.
Mind, this sort of rig is eminently better than most of the stuff you see Weller in these days - henleys, double-breasted suits with a round neck t-shirt etc.

* I’m assuming it was drugs as it’s the only good explanation for how they were turned out at the end of their run!

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like a Riley Elf not a Wolsey Elf Wolseley Hornet
Nice anyway , whatever it is . Popped into see a friend that is a coachbuilder the other day. He had a c1990 mini Cooper in the forecourt that he had just repaired , this Mini was mint . The thing that struck me was how small those cars were, not the kind of thing you would want to get into if you had a dodgy back. .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads