• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Inkss

Reaction score
Took the modified bowlers out for a test drive.
IMAG0001.jpg

They are uncomfortable. And my socks aren't as BLUE! as they look in the photo.

Also did a bit of farting about with my frugal as fritos 'harrington' jacket I bought a while back. (It cost f**k all and I'm bored s***less) I got rid of the flap pockets and changed the collar buttons from beige to horn.
hari.jpg

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Took the modified bowlers out for a test drive.
View attachment 1415016

They are uncomfortable. And my socks aren't as BLUE! as they look in the photo.

Also did a bit of farting about with my frugal as fritos 'harrington' jacket I bought a while back. (It cost f**k all and I'm bored s***less) I got rid of the flap pockets and changed the collar buttons from beige to horn.
View attachment 1415025

The modified Harrington looks good.
As much of a self-professed anglophile I am, I’ve never understood the allure of bowling shoes. ??‍♂️

Inkss

Reaction score
Well, the best thing about (real) bowling shoes is the comfort because ot the light supple upper, soft pliable soles and squidgy rubber heel. So they were a sort of stand-in for sneakers. Whereas the frankenshoes I bought have hard-as-concrete chromed-leather soles, and heels you can use to hammer nails.
They may look odd, but at least they're really uncomfortable.

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The modified Harrington looks good.
As much of a self-professed anglophile I am, I’ve never understood the allure of bowling shoes. ??‍♂️
I have never owned a pair myself but l can see that they are part of our heritage

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No it was all Italian Piaggio as far as I know, he used to come from Lincolnshire to stay with us in Yorkshire on it most weekends, come rain or shine. There was always a lot of mod/soul events up our way in the early nineties most weekends, failing that we would have a run out somewhere, with me and the ex wife on my Series 2 TV175, it tended to be mine that had the most breakdowns. They weren't really made for long distance travelling were they, made mostly for running around on in sunny European towns and cities. When we went to a weekender down South etc it was normally in the car, but we did go to the Isle of Wight several times with the scoots in the back of a transit van
I reckon the TV175 was quite a rare beast around these parts , I remember meeting a guy at traffic lights one day who was on one , l complimented him on his Lambretta but he said that it was **** . When l asked why he said something about reliability and said he would rather have my scooter (a Vespa) . When l asked what the reliability faults were he said he had to keep revving it (it would not tick over).
I had a pal who owned what I think was a series 3 Li125 , sometimes it would get a bit smokey from the exhaust and he would pull the sidepanel off and footer with the carb for about 5 mins and then we were off again.
Never had a scooter in the transit but l have travelled far and wide , probably Yarmouth being the farthest . We would stop over at friends in Nottingham on the way down but then go straight back , in about 13hrs ( only slightly less than the total time spent in Yarmouth).
You are right about scooters not being built for the long miles , apart from having to fill the tank about every 60miles , there used to be a bit on the M1 (or A1M) near Sheffield where they have those big cooling towers , where l used to always get vapour lock and the scooter would just power down . Usually by the time l had had a smoke it was good to go again , apparently due to the carb' being bolted straight onto the crankcase . A Dellorto 28mm carb' with a manifold solved that prob and saved some fuel too. .:-D

Vital_linK

Reaction score
Longtime listener, first time caller here. So good morning all....

I'm been a question that I've been itching to ask some of the traditionalists and other ol' timers here... so here goes...

A while back I visited a friend in Dublin. He had a pair of boots (in Oxblood) from a manufacturer called "Major Domo." Apparently these were a Spanish-made DM lookalike popular among those who couldn't afford Docs...
This got me to thinking... Of course we know all of the "name brand" gear (Fred Perry, Ben Sherman, Brutus, DM etc.)… What were some of the "off-brands" that were popular with skins and suedes back in the day? Some people I've talked to mentioned everything from American branded shirts (Campus, Creighton, etc.) to German made suits... So I'm trying to fill the gaps here... and yes... I'm aware that different parts of the UK had different preferences...
Hahah, I guess simply put... What gear was you... guilty pleasure I suppose.... Thanks again....

benj84

Reaction score
I reckon the TV175 was quite a rare beast around these parts , I remember meeting a guy at traffic lights one day who was on one , l complimented him on his Lambretta but he said that it was **** . When l asked why he said something about reliability and said he would rather have my scooter (a Vespa) . When l asked what the reliability faults were he said he had to keep revving it (it would not tick over).
I had a pal who owned what I think was a series 3 Li125 , sometimes it would get a bit smokey from the exhaust and he would pull the sidepanel off and footer with the carb for about 5 mins and then we were off again.
Never had a scooter in the transit but l have travelled far and wide , probably Yarmouth being the farthest . We would stop over at friends in Nottingham on the way down but then go straight back , in about 13hrs ( only slightly less than the total time spent in Yarmouth).
You are right about scooters not being built for the long miles , apart from having to fill the tank about every 60miles , there used to be a bit on the M1 (or A1M) near Sheffield where they have those big cooling towers , where l used to always get vapour lock and the scooter would just power down . Usually by the time l had had a smoke it was good to go again , apparently due to the carb' being bolted straight onto the crankcase . A Dellorto 28mm carb' with a manifold solved that prob and saved some fuel too. .:-D
Tinsley cooling towers. A lot of people said, when they saw them, it was like "a welcome to the North". Sadly gone now

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tinsley cooling towers. A lot of people said, when they saw them, it was like "a welcome to the North". Sadly gone now
Doncaster turnoff wasn’t it?
North of Tinsley which was the viaduct over Sheffield?
Either way no sadness for me they were a ******* eyesore! “Dark satanic mills” indeed.
Welcome home for me is Penshaw Monument.

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
last time l was down in Notts was about 14yrs ago and l was not on a scooter :blush: l never even noticed they had gone. .:eek:

Swampster

Reaction score
Doncaster turnoff wasn’t it?
North of Tinsley which was the viaduct over Sheffield?
Either way no sadness for me they were a ******* eyesore! “Dark satanic mills” indeed.
Welcome home for me is Penshaw Monument.

He craaled away an' lapped he's tail
Ten times roond Pensha Hill.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He craaled away an' lapped he's tail
Ten times roond Pensha Hill.
That’s the one. I sing that to my four year old to give her a bit of cultural education! (We sing “seven times”!)
And slightly related, when my Mam used to take us to the baths at Washington Galleries on a Sunday afternoon we‘d pass through Penshaw and see the legendary enigmatic graffiti in three foot high letters:

PENSHER WOOLYS EAT DEER (sic)

Which runs a close second in my league table of favourite local graffiti, falling to the victorious:

RICHY’S NANA APPRECIATES TAIL

Getting quite homesick now!

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s the one. I sing that to my four year old to give her a bit of cultural education! (We sing “seven times”!)
And slightly related, when my Mam used to take us to the baths at Washington Galleries on a Sunday afternoon we‘d pass through Penshaw and see the legendary enigmatic graffiti in three foot high letters:

PENSHER WOOLYS EAT DEER (sic)

Which runs a close second in my league table of favourite local graffiti, falling to the victorious:

RICHY’S NANA APPRECIATES TAIL

Getting quite homesick now!
Round our way during the miners strike, Scabs names were painted everywhere. If you look closely in some places you can still them.
Close to where I live there's a snicket, with an electricity sub station at the end of it, in 1980 my friend and I took a can of paint and painted The Jam a la In The City album cover on it, 40 years later it is still there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads