• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another pic of Pete Quaife from The Kinks, the only mod in the band, sadly dead now. View attachment 1411885
l think because of the colour , you see an amazing variety of parkas in those old photos . l reckon Pete is wearing an M-1948 in that pic but l might be wrong , certainly if you had one of them now it would be worth a fortune. .

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
l think because of the colour , you see an amazing variety of parkas in those old photos . l reckon Pete is wearing an M-1948 in that pic but l might be wrong , certainly if you had one of them now it would be worth a fortune. .
Nice scooter the Vespa SS180, my mate had one that he restored, it always seemed to have ignition problems though, more often than not the condenser.

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice scooter the Vespa SS180, my mate had one that he restored, it always seemed to have ignition problems though, more often than not the condenser.
Was that a British built Douglas scooter , Yorky?
I knew a guy who had a restored GS beautiful but again ignition problem, which on inspection , it turned out to be the points .Apparently the guy who restored the engine could not get the original parts and 'made' a set of points!

Cutdown69

Reaction score
Electronic ignition and better brakes (ie outboard disc brakes)...saviours of the scooter scene
Last Lambretta SX200 & GP200s had inboard front disc as standard (and GP electronic)

Really like the check strides Pete Quaife is wearing in that pic
POW check was still part of the skinhead/suedehead style (as well as later check parallels...'Ruperts'..or were they Oxford bags?)

I have a pair of NOS check wool strides, complete with ticket pocket on front, that I really like.. 8.5"hem

Attachments

• IMG_20200619_195115.jpg
    IMG_20200619_195115.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20200619_195147.jpg
    IMG_20200619_195147.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 78

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Electronic ignition and better brakes (ie outboard disc brakes)...saviours of the scooter scene
Last Lambretta SX200 & GP200s had inboard front disc as standard (and GP electronic)

Really like the check strides Pete Quaife is wearing in that pic
POW check was still part of the skinhead/suedehead style (as well as later check parallels...'Ruperts'..or were they Oxford bags?)

I have a pair of NOS check wool strides, complete with ticket pocket on front, that I really like.. 8.5"hem
Good pics . Have you ever considered starting a blog. .

Cutdown69

Reaction score
Haha, I can only foist these pics om you as a 'captive audience' as I'm assuming they're in context.. Ie in reference to the style of this forum.. Late Mod, through Skinhead to Suedehead. Where else can I post badly taken pictures of me troos! I've got another pair, in cotton, with same check as this guys shirt...I'll post a pic of them when I get the chance. Wondered if this style was worn as trousers in the day

Attachments

• IMG_20200621_102853.jpg
    IMG_20200621_102853.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 69

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was that a British built Douglas scooter , Yorky?
I knew a guy who had a restored GS beautiful but again ignition problem, which on inspection , it turned out to be the points .Apparently the guy who restored the engine could not get the original parts and 'made' a set of points!
No it was all Italian Piaggio as far as I know, he used to come from Lincolnshire to stay with us in Yorkshire on it most weekends, come rain or shine. There was always a lot of mod/soul events up our way in the early nineties most weekends, failing that we would have a run out somewhere, with me and the ex wife on my Series 2 TV175, it tended to be mine that had the most breakdowns. They weren't really made for long distance travelling were they, made mostly for running around on in sunny European towns and cities. When we went to a weekender down South etc it was normally in the car, but we did go to the Isle of Wight several times with the scoots in the back of a transit van

Cutdown69

Reaction score
I've done a few mad miles on old scooters. Including Athens on a 150 Super (with rear wheel blowout going round Monaco on the way); Holland; Provence, and Hamburg last year (where I kissed tarmac when lost rear end on diesel). Iron arse required (and blind faith). Got towed on my Lambretta 80 miles up a Belgian motorway once, by a vespa P200 using 3 x bungees... Brown trouser time

Cutdown69

Reaction score
I'm a bit slow...not sure what foo means...do you think the pattern is too much to wear as trousers?
(I won't take offence, sometimes I lose the plot with things, then cringe later....a bit like all the 'trendy' folk these days wearing tight fitting black jeans with slashes on them...with their white puffy flesh poking out)

Cutdown69

Reaction score
F it, in for a penny
Here are the offending trousers your honour

Attachments

• IMG_20200627_151119.jpg
    IMG_20200627_151119.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20200627_151125.jpg
    IMG_20200627_151125.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 64

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads