• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This time of year certainly brings out some sights. I suppose the polo with all buttons undone, collar up and the bottom flapping round the knees is better than Essex man without any top on, just a tiny t-shirt draped over one shoulder, shorts and flip-flops in the middle of town... how long before people stop wearing clothes altogether?

On Saturday we went out for the first time in the evening since March (to a family barbeque with appropriate social distancing, of course). I wore that three-button FP - top button fastened; our host was sporting a pale salmon-colour t-shirt that did almost reach his knees, Adidas 3/4 length shorts and a pair of white ankle sockso_O

Last edited:

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This time of year certainly brings out some sights. I suppose the polo with all buttons undone, collar up and the bottom flapping round the knees is better than Essex man without any top on, just a tiny t-shirt draped over one shoulder, shorts and flip-flops in the middle of town... how long before people stop wearing clothes altogether?

On Saturday we went out for the first time in the evening since March (to a family barbeque with appropriate social distancing, of course). I wore that three-button FP - top button fastened; the host was sporting a pale salmon-colour t-shirt that did almost reach his knees, Adidas 3/4 length shorts and a pair of white ankle sockso_O
Of course , after what happened in Trafalgar Sq one does wonder what would have happened if you hadn't followed appropriate social distancing? Are the rozzers even interested or is it just clipes?
I certainly am getting tired of my hazmat suit as they only seem to come in white but surely it can only be a matter of time until we get a Tonik version available. .

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about all the buttons undone, collar turned up, and wearing untucked when it's long enough to Reach your knees.
A very common sight when I worked at the University, combined with cargo shorts, Birkenstocks, slouchy walk, backpack, iPod headphones and ball cap to cover up bed-head hair.

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A very common sight around here are empty pavements , empty petrol stations , closed shops , empty football stadia, closed restaurants, closed bars and Inns and ....******* massive queues at Mcd*nald's

donkeyjacket2

Reaction score
More recent ebay purchase, looks a bit modish i guess, sellers says 70s but i have a feeling its older, made in sweden, fits really well and nice quality

1.jpg

1.jpg

1.jpg

Inkss

Reaction score
Well, I ended up buying those odd bowling shoes for £30/$37 (£25+postage)
Was never gonna wear them in b/w so I spent another £10/$12.50 on a shoe dying kit.
bow1.jpg

Got to work on 'em
bow2.jpg

Quite pleased with the results. Not bad for £40/$50 all in

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found these photos on the net, I've seen most of them before, but not in colour. The second one shows the rider wearing what look like Adidas trainers, which has always been questioned, whether or not the originals wore them.
IMG_8750.jpg
IMG_8751.jpg
IMG_8752.jpg
IMG_8753.jpg
IMG_8754.jpg
IMG_8755.jpg
IMG_8756.jpg
IMG_8757.jpg

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great pics @Yorky - I recognise most of them as b&w so I wonder if they were originally in colour or if they’ve been processed a la Ted Turner?
Either way it’s interesting the details that pop out a little better in colour.

I posted a couple of days ago on MtS about trainers. I’ve always believed that Mods WOULD have worn them if they’d been widely available in the early sixties but that second pic proves my point and is a great example. They clearly look like an early version of gazelle-ish trainers which look great and as I don’t believe they were widely seen back then, he probably scored a few cred points with them.
The first time I went abroad we drove to Belgium in summer 1977 and I was in awe of the variety of adidas trainers and bike shoes I saw, not so much in shops but worn by kids (and cycling adults) which was problies a similar reaction that the lads following Liverpool et al around Europe saw a few years later.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads