• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score
Hi chums, hope you are all staying safe and enjoying life.

The copy on this may resonate with some of you London folks, but I hope others can take something from it too.

The 'race' angle is particularly relevant, I feel but, take from it what you will.

Cheers, Ed.

(Bugger, it won't let me add the link but, Google is your friends so if you look for:

FB HammersmithPalaisOldSkool posts you may get lucky. )

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got some cheap desert boots for £20/$25 (including postage)
Opted for the Spanish made ones over the SA made Vellies in the end (didn't have tan in my size)
View attachment 1399051
View attachment 1399052
View attachment 1399053

Very good price. I wonder how well the sole will hold up ?

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple of lockdown purchases.

Fred Perry knitted button neck from the archive collection.
IMG_8773.JPG

Corduroy lace ups from mod shoes.
IMG_8775.JPG

IMG_8776.JPG

Cutdown69

Reaction score
"Ed Vaughan, post:
Got it. :censored: :censored:

Interesting bit of writing, thanks for that Ed……he must have had a few bob to afford a Lambretta SX200 at 16

I’ve got a bootleg DVD of the Wembley gig somewhere…I haven’t watched it for 10 x years, but I’m sure The Pioneers do a great alternative version of their tune ‘Easy Come Easy Go’

As a vinyl obsessed rocksteady and reggae collector, a large part of the appeal of the original skinhead/suedehead thing, on top of the fab style and quality clothing, is to me the reggae tunes and big Motown/Atlantic/Stax soul tunes being blared out as a background to the scene in those days

I appreciate this forum is about the clothes and style of the original era, but as Skinheads were clothes, bovver, football and music obsessed, this is all part and parcel to me

I guess some of this is romanticising, as maybe only the clubs in the cities with a decent Jamaican population (London, Bristol, Birmingham) where young people went were playing Jamaican sounds, and up north it was predominantly Soul

I know there was some snobbery playing Reggae on the radio (I think Tony Blackburn refused to play it). Mike Raven was playing on pirate radio and other than DJ’s at local nights I guess otherwise it was word of mouth

I’ve listed some of the tunes that hit big during that era (with respective UK chart positions); You also had Symarip with Skinhead Moonstomp and of course Trojan comp Tighten up Vol 2 (this is what started me off with reggae, as I’d nicked it from my dad’s work when I was about 7…in truth just because of that cover!)

Desmond Dekker
007 – no 14 (July ’67)
Israelites – no 1 (March ’69)
It Mek – no 7 (July ’69)
You can get it if you really want - No 2 (August ’70)

The Ethiopians
Train to Skaville – No 40 (Sep ’67)

Prince Buster
Al Capone – no 18 (March ’67)

Derrick Morgan
Moon Hop – No 49 (Jan ’70)

Max Romeo
Wet Dream – no 10 (June ’69)

The Pioneers
Long Shot Kick de Bucket – No 21 (Oct ’69)
Let your yeah be yeah – No 5 (July ’71)

The Melodians
Sweet Sensation – No 41 (Jan ’70)

Bob & Marcia
Young, Gifted & Black – No 5 (March ’70)
Pied Piper – No 11 (June ’71)

Dave Barker/Ansel Collins
Double Barrel – No 1 (March ’71)
Monkey Spanner – No 7 (June ’71)

John Holt
Help me make it through the night – No 6 (Dec ’74)

Ken Boothe
Everything I own - No 1 (Sep ’74)

The Upsetters
Return of Django – no 5 (Nov ’69)

Jimmy Cliff
Wonderful world, Beautiful people – no 6 (Nov ‘69)

Harry J All Stars
Liquidator – no 9 (Nov ’69)

Judge Dread (cash in bouncer!)
Bix six – No 11 (Aug ’72)
Big seven – No 8 (Dec ’72)
Big eight – No 14 (Apr ’73)

Pat Kelly
How long - ? definitely a chart entry in UK and massive in Jamaica

Sorry for the waffle…hope it’s of some interest.....Ethiopians & 007 both UK hits in '67..so pre-dating Skinhead...I know Ethiopians was always played at the fairground for some reason...on the Waltzer, and maybe Desond Dekker made a connection through the Mods and with a James Bond connection...Prince Buster was probably just an ongoing Mod hero

I don’t know if anyone’s had a chance to see ‘Rudeboy’ – the story of Trojan record

I watched it last week….I don’t like to slate things too much (unless they’re really terrible or cash-ins), and loved the early part in relation to Duke Reid/Treasure Isle and where the name came from (Duke Reid drove a 50’s ‘Trojan’ pick up), but I thought the section relating to UK skinheads could have done with some input from some originals (eg some contributors to this forum…especially some of the true afficianados and wearers of genuine late 60’s/early 70’s clobber) as well as original vinyl (all the vinyl shown were modern reissues, if this was a programme dedicated to Northern Soul, this would be seen as sacrilidge..maybe that’s me being a vinyl trainspotter!)…the skins dancing all looked to be wearing modern or at best 80’s gear and the narrator raved about Trojan whist showing labels such as Pama (Max Romeo – Wet Dream) and even Pyramid (which was part of Dr Bird label and nothing to do with Trojan at the time), so glossing over this and re-writing history. It was good that it didn’t just show the music from a white perspective like some of these ‘UK Reggae scene’ retrospectives do…including interviews with Lloyd Coxsone, Dandy Livingstone and others, but the film seemed to trail off a bit for me. It might be because I have developed a taste for listening to Ja music through heavey bass speakers, and not tinny flat screen TV speakers…so that’s my problem not the film makers!

PS just found this pic of me in mid 70’s with my 1st button down….probably a hand-me-down from my brother, and a cheapy I guess
(oh and me in '71 with my Suedehead blazer and polo shirt with my sis watching my old man catch dinner...ok I'm taking the P155 a bit now!)

Attachments

• IMG_20200429_210632.jpg
    IMG_20200429_210632.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20200603_182345.jpg
    IMG_20200603_182345.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20200603_182314.jpg
    IMG_20200603_182314.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair on here...c1968 - excuse hair. :blush:
I hope that the dartboard wasn't being used as you posed for the photo Ed, especially if they were as bad at darts as I am.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Ed Vaughan, post:

Interesting bit of writing, thanks for that Ed……he must have had a few bob to afford a Lambretta SX200 at 16

I’ve got a bootleg DVD of the Wembley gig somewhere…I haven’t watched it for 10 x years, but I’m sure The Pioneers do a great alternative version of their tune ‘Easy Come Easy Go’

As a vinyl obsessed rocksteady and reggae collector, a large part of the appeal of the original skinhead/suedehead thing, on top of the fab style and quality clothing, is to me the reggae tunes and big Motown/Atlantic/Stax soul tunes being blared out as a background to the scene in those days

I appreciate this forum is about the clothes and style of the original era, but as Skinheads were clothes, bovver, football and music obsessed, this is all part and parcel to me

I guess some of this is romanticising, as maybe only the clubs in the cities with a decent Jamaican population (London, Bristol, Birmingham) where young people went were playing Jamaican sounds, and up north it was predominantly Soul

I know there was some snobbery playing Reggae on the radio (I think Tony Blackburn refused to play it). Mike Raven was playing on pirate radio and other than DJ’s at local nights I guess otherwise it was word of mouth

I’ve listed some of the tunes that hit big during that era (with respective UK chart positions); You also had Symarip with Skinhead Moonstomp and of course Trojan comp Tighten up Vol 2 (this is what started me off with reggae, as I’d nicked it from my dad’s work when I was about 7…in truth just because of that cover!)

Desmond Dekker
007 – no 14 (July ’67)
It Mek – no 7 (July ’69)

The Ethiopians

Prince Buster

Derrick Morgan

Max Romeo

The Pioneers

The Melodians

Bob & Marcia

John Holt

Ken Boothe

The Upsetters

Jimmy Cliff

Harry J All Stars

Pat Kelly

Sorry for the waffle…hope it’s of some interest.....Ethiopians & 007 both UK hits in '67..so pre-dating Skinhead...I know Ethiopians was always played at the fairground for some reason...on the Waltzer, and maybe Desond Dekker made a connection through the Mods and with a James Bond connection...Prince Buster was probably just an ongoing Mod hero

I don’t know if anyone’s had a chance to see ‘Rudeboy’ – the story of Trojan record

I watched it last week….I don’t like to slate things too much (unless they’re really terrible or cash-ins), and loved the early part in relation to Duke Reid/Treasure Isle and where the name came from (Duke Reid drove a 50’s ‘Trojan’ pick up), but I thought the section relating to UK skinheads could have done with some input from some originals (eg some contributors to this forum…especially some of the true afficianados and wearers of genuine late 60’s/early 70’s clobber) as well as original vinyl (all the vinyl shown were modern reissues, if this was a programme dedicated to Northern Soul, this would be seen as sacrilidge..maybe that’s me being a vinyl trainspotter!)…the skins dancing all looked to be wearing modern or at best 80’s gear and the narrator raved about Trojan whist showing labels such as Pama (Max Romeo – Wet Dream) and even Pyramid (which was part of Dr Bird label and nothing to do with Trojan at the time), so glossing over this and re-writing history. It was good that it didn’t just show the music from a white perspective like some of these ‘UK Reggae scene’ retrospectives do…including interviews with Lloyd Coxsone, Dandy Livingstone and others, but the film seemed to trail off a bit for me. It might be because I have developed a taste for listening to Ja music through heavey bass speakers, and not tinny flat screen TV speakers…so that’s my problem not the film makers!

PS just found this pic of me in mid 70’s with my 1st button down….probably a hand-me-down from my brother, and a cheapy I guess
(oh and me in '71 with my Suedehead blazer and polo shirt with my sis watching my old man catch dinner...ok I'm taking the P155 a bit now!)
Similar to mine in 69, complete with crew cut in Southampton and 72ish in Scarborough.
IMG_6788.JPG

IMG_6792.JPG

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Ed Vaughan, post:

Desmond Dekker
007 – no 14 (July ’67)
It Mek – no 7 (July ’69)

The Ethiopians

Prince Buster

Derrick Morgan

Max Romeo

The Pioneers

The Melodians

Bob & Marcia

John Holt

Ken Boothe

The Upsetters

Jimmy Cliff

Harry J All Stars

Pat Kelly

‘Mike Raven was playing on pirate radio and other than DJ’s at local nights I guess otherwise it was word of mouth’

Mike Raven was a fantastic DJ. He did a couple of hours at the weekend on Radio 1 - which was in its infancy. That programme spanned soul and finished up with blues as far back as Bessie Smith. He also introduced reggae, mostly in the second hour before the blues stuff. He didn’t do jingles, which was a great blessing. He was knowledgeable, informative and straightforward in his presentation. He had a varied history and came from a privileged background Oxbridge, army officer etc. He did not try to disguise this to be ‘down with the kids’. I like to think he knocked it on the head when The Temptations went psychedelic, but he had other plans - Hammer horror films and sculpture amongst them.

Reggae was not really played in big dancehalls nor was that much soul. I think the promoters wanted to keep it top twenty and middle of the roads. Smaller clubs had the soul and reggae stuff.

The Wembley concert was billed as Caribbean. It included some comedians. We didn’t have a clue what they were saying.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics