• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Weller's '80/'81 hairdo was very much a Rossi '67
View attachment 1389474
I think he was going for the Stevie Marriot look. .he is a big fan of Stevie
620fd2aafac077abf59d59a79df92aed.jpg

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Thin White Duke, just read your blog on monkey jackets, where you state in a paragraph that 60s mods didn't wear denim/trucker jackets.

"I don’t recall seeing any evidence of sixties Mods wearing denim jackets. They may have been worn during the revival but there’s a closer association with Skins, Boot Boys, bikers, scooter boys and heavy metal fans (heavily embroidered). Windcheaters / windbreakers, Harringtons and monkey jackets are a step higher in formality than denim trucker jackets and just look a bit more sharp and polished which suits the Mod aesthetic. Worn with either a polo or Breton shirt, jeans or sta pressts, and desert boots or classic trainers they add a layer against the weather that could work through three seasons in the British climate."

This isn't the case as there are plenty of photos of 60s Mods wearing them, including well known faces.

View attachment 1387758 View attachment 1387759 View attachment 1387760 View attachment 1387761 View attachment 1387763 View attachment 1387764 View attachment 1387762
Brilliant pic of the Small Faces , Kenney looks super sharp. .
In this film you can see Mclaggan sporting the barrnet mentioned earlier

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brilliant pic of the Small Faces , Kenney looks super sharp. .
In this film you can see Mclaggan sporting the barrnet mentioned earlier

Have you checked out the Small Faces 60s TV show Colour Me Pop where they play a lot of the Ogdens LP semi live, with Stanley Unwin doing the links. Incidentally one of my fave LPs, it has everything, must have got the album multiple times on different reissues, out takes and everything, but I treasure my copy of the original vinyl, and the CD which came in a tin with beer mats inside.

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score
The longest my hair has been in years... sorry about the leer, 'she' says I look like a pervert. :oops:

I'm desperate to go out in some decent clothes. Been hanging around the house and garden in joggers, flip-flops and a variety of t-shirts I don't care about.

Oh, to be in some decent strides, shoes and shirts... Stay safe, folks. :stirpot:

Attachments

• IMG_1577.JPG
    IMG_1577.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 66

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check this out.

Nice footage . I think l have seen the crowd scenes before as l'm sure they were used by ITN . Ah , those were the days when you could meet up with your mates , go to cafes , sit in bars , walk along the prom' in groups , all the shops were open , you could even stand in a group in a public place and the rozzers never said 'out . .ah it takes me back , takes me back indeed. .

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Always good to see primary sources not some re-imagined rehash but the beach fighting was the death knell of original Mods for me. That (along with RSG I suppose) was when it all broke out from being an elite underground club of clothes and music obsessed adherents, the press got the word, the high street shops jumped on board, and every little knacker around the country looking for a scrap joined up!

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The longest my hair has been in years... sorry about the leer, 'she' says I look like a pervert. :oops:

I'm desperate to go out in some decent clothes. Been hanging around the house and garden in joggers, flip-flops and a variety of t-shirts I don't care about.

Oh, to be in some decent strides, shoes and shirts... Stay safe, folks. :stirpot:
Looks like you've shed a bit of timber there Ed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads