• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Inkss

Reaction score
Picked up these longwing Puppers for £15/$18.50
hp.jpg

Not really a Pups person, but I had a piezogenic papule on my heel which I inadvisably cut off with a razor and it now hurts like f**k, so I bought something comfy to wear.

Midnight2six

Reaction score
I've been skimming through this whole thread and wow that was some read. I've enjoyed it on the whole but it has had me spitting at times. I wanted to comment on so many posts but it would have been bad form to keep commenting on ancient posts.
I was a monkey boot wearing mini skin when the originals were around. My older brother was a proper Skin not a nipper like me and despite what's been said countless times about Northern Skins we were not all clueless and so behind the times. By the time I was buying my own clothes a few years later I considered myself a Bootboy. That is outwith the remit of this thread so won't harbour on about it. In the crew I was in we mostly wore tan Dealers, oxfords or Brogues, (No Docs) The normal Bennies or Jaytex shirts, Red Harringtons and Off-White Sta-Prest or White Levis and collar length hair with sideburns if you could grow them. Thank you to all the participants for making this such a good thread.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@The Saint Well I had my doubts, but thanks for proving conclusively to one and all that you really are an ignorant ****-wit.

If you’re referring to @The Saint ’s last post, I think he might have a point... and I’m not saying he’s 100% correct.... I’m just saying that we shouldn’t swallow all we’ve been given as a whole; we should look at all the statistics and research them. We have the whole WWW and can use it to the advantage of finding the truth.
people dismiss each other by epithets...

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can we retire to a neutral corner, take a breather, and come back out resolving not to be so harsh with each other when we disagree about something?

pressuredrop

Reaction score
@Botolph Some skepticism is good, sure.

But "The Saint" is typing out his arse.

How am I not supposed to dismiss some guy on a men's wear forum who's quite obviously "done his own research" and just compared the deaths from COVID-19 to the deaths in a flu season?

look at the average deaths per month say ,for last year , of people in the US from 'flu'

It's estimated that 34,200 died from the flu in the U.S. last year.

A flu season lasts 4-6 MONTHS

In the US, COVID 19 has already killed 20,580 persons in 1 month and 2 weeks.

But according to Mr. Did His Own Research, that's no biggie.

A corona virus and an influenza virus aren't the same thing.

To me, that's the same as comparing effing monkey boots to monkey jackets, except that the monkey boots are growing exponentially on everyone and can end up being on your own feet, (...or the feet of anyone you've been in contact with for the past few weeks...) just from being close enough to count the eyelets.

That just doesn't happen with the flu.

One last thing , look up how many iatrogenic deaths occur in the US , every month.

We don't yet have their 2019-2020 numbers yet, but it's not like the other deaths from the flu, accident, other diseases, or iatrogenic causes just suddenly stopped because there's a pandemic about.

There will still be more deaths this year in total, because thousands are dying every day.

And this:

Is it achieving anything but destroying our economy?

Yep, there's no advantage at all to having a healthy population that can actually go to work and, if they're lucky, not end up on the floor of an overcrowded hospital waiting for someone else to die before they get on a ventilator or into an ICU bed.

Absolutely no advantage at all.

You might also do well to do some research into the human immune system and what benefits it . The good news is , you live in a place where there is plenty of sunshine [vitamin D source]

Ah, yes...

...Mr. Did His Own Research is now also an immunologist and a nutritionist on top of being an epidemiologist and statistician. Fantastic!

Pretty amazing for someone who has spent a lot of time in living in East Germany, and shared absolutely zero (0) of his "research" on here.

Indeed , it is like living under the Stasi in 8ts GDR

pressuredrop

Reaction score
@Man-of-Mystery No. Absolutey not.

Maybe it's because I'm a Canadian living in the province with one of the best pandemic responses around (So far... We'll see how badly this long weekend messed it up in another 2 weeks or so...), but watching the absolute failure of the US & UK responses to this pandemic is horrific.

All my aunts and uncles in the UK are in their 80s. Most of my cousins, their children and grandchildren live there too, and I'm under no illusion that they'll all come out of this alive.

When someone like "The Saint", who seems to live in a fact-free world, gets on a keyboard to spout unsubstantiated nonsense that would wilfully endanger other people, possibly those I love, just because he can't stay home and wants to go to the pub, you can be damn certain I'm going to be harsh.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say that MoM last suggestion stands valid, despite any contrary argument so far.

pressuredrop

Reaction score
I'd say that MoM last suggestion stands valid, despite any contrary argument so far.

Luigi, I don't think I've ever interacted with you, but this is a 2112 page thread on a subgenre of a subgenre on a fashion forum.

I'm mostly here for info on MoM's book, Inkssy's amazing eBaying, the recommendations of places to aquire shirts, and to eventually savour the day Rod finally admits he's spent most of his life being wrong about monkey boots.

Like it or not, in this world, and on this thread, you're going to have to face some harshness.

We're not all on here to scroll through the crap someone like "The Saint" spouts off, crap that has **** all to do with fashion.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I myself am here firstly out of interest for a subculture I only knew from far and in a somehow 'distorted' way in my youth.
I myself am worried for the pandemia, not for me but because I've an 88 y.o. mom and other agey dear ones.
I'm not afraid of harshness too, when related to this thread topics: it's a duty of every self respecting man to stand with all his arms for his beliefs - the more so when it comes to fundamental things like the drape of a jacket.
Yet I think that we all are able to - and therefore should - express our disagreements without personally dismissing other people.
Don't you think so Sir?:cheers:

Midnight2six

Reaction score
Well, we'll alway's have people who believe the World is flat, that the monarchy are lizard people and that COVID 19 is just another flu and everyone is over reacting. They are entitled to their beliefs, but are still morons. Everyone else buy some booze, stay indoors and keep safe.

pressuredrop

Reaction score
I myself am here firstly out of interest for a subculture I only knew from far and in a somehow 'distorted' way in my youth.
I myself am worried for the pandemia, not for me but because I've an 88 y.o. mom and other agey dear ones.
I'm not afraid of harshness too, when related to this thread topics: it's a duty of every self respecting man to stand with all his arms for his beliefs - the more so when it comes to fundamental things like the drape of a jacket.
Yet I think that we all are able to - and therefore should - express our disagreements without personally dismissing other people.
Don't you think so Sir?:cheers:

No, Luigi, I really I don't.

"The Saint" could have spent the past month learning something about the world, the disease, or sharing some actual facts about all this amazing "research" he has done.

But no...

He's spent the last 6 pages of this thread posting music videos, starting arguments, and typing his inane **** because he's bored.

I'm not cool with his ignorant ass-hattery.

I'm wondering why you are?

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Life is short and I'm not easily offended by opinions - wether I consider them good or bad.
I try to be cool with everyone - as long as I don't think he's deliberately and reiterately trying to offend me.
Have a happy Easter you all!

Inkss

Reaction score
Well I also hope all of you all have had/having a bearable Easter/Passover.

Not for me, but a decent price for someone who they would fit :

Cutdown69

Reaction score
Thanks Inkss, I like that candy stripe, but not my size (M) on that sale sadly
Btw just wanted to introduce myself...I'm an old (80's) scooterboy, born 1969, who got into Trojan reggae in the 70's and have collected vinyl (mainly Jamaican rocksteady/reggae as well as soul/northern soul) for many years. I've always dabbled with the smart skin/suedehead/mod looked, but got turned off by the 'comedy mod and skinhead' scenes, so became a scruff. I've tried to keep hold of a few threads, and now I'm trying to smarten if I get any DJ slots et.c
I've lurked on this site for last 10 x years, mainly pinching great pics from the 60s/70s

This is me taken just before the whole lockdown situation...sorry for the boat race....Italian Lambretta GP 125 with TS1 225 motor
Cheers
Rob,

Attachments

• Lambretta GP TS1 2.jpg
    Lambretta GP TS1 2.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 127

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads