• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love that first one especially.

I remain startled with how people are able to ride a scooter without glasses. I go over 5mph and the wind, to say nothing of dust and grit, would have me squinting and swerving all over the road. Were the streets a lot cleaner back then before austerity put paid to road sweepers?

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

First 45 that I paid over 100 quid for over 30 years ago.
A prime slice of New York Soul!
Still gives me goose bumps when I hear it and transports me back to the mod nights that I Used to DJ at, it's wierd but I can sometimes feel the speed rush when I listen to certain records.

Last edited:

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love that first one especially.

I remain startled with how people are able to ride a scooter without glasses. I go over 5mph and the wind, to say nothing of dust and grit, would have me squinting and swerving all over the road. Were the streets a lot cleaner back then before austerity put paid to road sweepers?
I used to have a pair of scooter scooter glasses, not wraparound, but came down the side at almost 90 degrees. Never seen any since, but I bought them in 1982, and sadly my girlfriend, wore them when riding pillion and some how snapped the arm off.
I also wore a yellow and red paisley Tootal scarf over my nose and chops, and an open face peaked helmet, that we all ( the club) illegally sprayed red with a white stripe down the middle.
A bit of a coincidence, my missus bought me a signed numbered print (No 5) by the well known Sheffield artist Pete McKee about 10 years ago for my birthday, entitled Away From The Numbers, and the subject has a Red and white striped helmet in his hand. She never knew that I had one like it.
IMG_8360.PNG

Last edited:

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

First 45 that I paid over 100 quid for over 30 years ago.
A prime slice of New York Soul!
Still gives me goose bumps when I hear it and transports me back to the mod nights that I Used to DJ at, it's wierd but I can sometimes feel the speed rush when I listen to certain records.

I have to say that Sam Dees track is a good one.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A song relevant to all those stuck in their homes at the moment, taken from The Modern World album.
An album dismissed by many critics, Weller himself being one of them, but it is one of my favourite albums by the band.
Saw them the first time in 79 when I was 13, my first concert, at the Queens Hall in Leeds, it has now become a car park after the building was demolished.
My Nephew met Weller one afternoon last summer, he was outside the Hilton Hotel in Leeds, just across the road from where the venue was, and he reminisced about playing there.
Weller had just come out of the hotel gym and was having a coffee and a ***, not looking particularly stylish.
IMG_8365.jpg

Last edited:

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How long has it been since Weller looked stylish?
I don’t see pics of him as often as I’m sure people in England do but he reliably looks like shite and has done for decades. Even when he’s suited up he’s a mess.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t see pics of him as often as I’m sure people in England do but he reliably looks like shite and has done for decades. Even when he’s suited up he’s a mess.
I'm not defending him but what are you basing your opinions on. I'm sure that you don't always dress and look like you do in your photo fits, at least he does it and doesn't give a **** really what people think. He has always carried the torch and attempted to push things, it would be sad if he had just gone the way of many of his contemporaries.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not defending him but what are you basing your opinions on. I'm sure that you don't always dress and look like you do in your photo fits, at least he does it and doesn't give a **** really what people think. He has always carried the torch and attempted to push things, it would be sad if he had just gone the way of many of his contemporaries.
I’m basing my opinion on dozens of pictures I’ve seen of him looking a complete clip. There’s been decades worth of dodgy Barnet for a start, for which there’s no excuse, looking like he chopped it himself when he was drunk - the ‘dinner lady’ haircut I’ve seen it called. Lately he seems to be drawing inspiration from that floppy haired tit Jackson Browne. Other pics of him in sweat pants, wife beaters, twat pants (3/4 length trackie bottoms) etc etc. Of course I don’t get suited up like my fit pics every day but I never look as sloppy as he does, and I’m neither a rock star nor touted as ‘The Modfather’ but if I was I’d certainly make a bit more effort before leaving the house. You don’t see anything like as many pics of Foxton as you do Weller as he’s obviously not as ‘big’ but aside from the fantastic mullet of the Jam days I struggle to remember many times when I thought he looked crap. Other people renowned for their style like Bowie and Ferry manage to avoid being photographed in their jarmies!

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m basing my opinion on dozens of pictures I’ve seen of him looking a complete clip. There’s been decades worth of dodgy Barnet for a start, for which there’s no excuse, looking like he chopped it himself when he was drunk - the ‘dinner lady’ haircut I’ve seen it called. Lately he seems to be drawing inspiration from that floppy haired tit Jackson Browne. Other pics of him in sweat pants, wife beaters, twat pants (3/4 length trackie bottoms) etc etc. Of course I don’t get suited up like my fit pics every day but I never look as sloppy as he does, and I’m neither a rock star nor touted as ‘The Modfather’ but if I was I’d certainly make a bit more effort before leaving the house. You don’t see anything like as many pics of Foxton as you do Weller as he’s obviously not as ‘big’ but aside from the fantastic mullet of the Jam days I struggle to remember many times when I thought he looked crap. Other people renowned for their style like Bowie and Ferry manage to avoid being photographed in their jarmies!
That's because he doesn't give a **** about what people think, and also he didn't give himself the title of the Modfather, in fact he quite clearly has said that he doesn't give himself any credit for the 79 mod revival and that most of the bands were ****.
I have never said that all of his looks were good especially the barnets, but credit where credits due, he can look good when he feels like it and has also made some of the best music in the last 5 decades.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For someone who’s “not defending him” that reads an awful lot like you’re defending him.

I don’t understand why it’s a virtue to ‘not give a **** what people think’ but in any event, in stating that you’re basically agreeing with me. He looks a ******* mess most of the time precisely because he obviously ‘doesn’t give ****’

The rest of your points are straw man arguments. He may not have given himself that title - I never said he did - but for whatever reason he has it and my point being that at least in terms of his tackle for the last many years on my view he certainly hasn’t earned it. Comments about the revival, the other bands and his music are not germane to my original statement that he looks a bloody state. If you believe ‘he ‘can look good when he feels like it’ well of course you’re entitled to your opinion but like I said in my earlier post I can’t remember seeing a pic of him in a dogs age when I thought ‘yeah that looks good’.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads