• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Gsvs5

Reaction score
Some great HQ stills from 'Bronco Bullfrog' - 1970.

I vividly remember sciving off school on a miserable wet weekday to go to the Picture House and see this.
Filled with high expectations and an empty cinema matinee,it was as dull as the weather we were escaping outside.

Inkss

Reaction score
The blue check jacket I bought from Slovenia turned up. For once it was something that didn't need alterations.
It arrived quicker than something I ordered at the same time from four miles up the road.
Thought I'd give a tab-collar shirt a try, so I picked one of thse up as well.
sl.jpg

Also picked up this 'new without tags' POW shirt for £12/$15
hawescurtis.jpg

Thought I'd take a punt on these dogtooth/houndstooth strides as well :
tru.jpg

They're only a cheap poly/visc blend, but they were £17.50/$21.50. I like the cut of them, and they can't be worse than Relco strides that are over twice the price for the same old schmatte. I'll see what they're like when they arrive.

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The blue check jacket I bought from Slovenia turned up. For once it was something that didn't need alterations.
It arrived quicker than something I ordered at the same time from four miles up the road.
Thought I'd give a tab-collar shirt a try, so I picked one of thse up as well.
View attachment 1355424

Also picked up this 'new without tags' POW shirt for £12/$15
Very smart, inks. .

Inkss

Reaction score
I've had two Relco items. A pair of houndstooth strides that split in the seat on the first wearing, (I was only getting into a cab, not doing squat-thrusts or owt), and a paisley BD that shrank and faded to fuckery on it's first 30 degree wash. So for myself and Relco, it's a case of twice bitten, thrice bloody livid.
I think the only other time a pair of my trousers has split in on the seat-seam was when I was playing football on the school playground when I was a kid.

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had two Relco items. A pair of houndstooth strides that split in the seat on the first wearing, (I was only getting into a cab, not doing squat-thrusts or owt), and a paisley BD that shrank and faded to fuckery on it's first 30 degree wash. So for myself and Relco, it's a case of twice bitten, thrice bloody livid.
I think the only other time a pair of my trousers has split in on the seat-seam was when I was playing football on the school playground when I was a kid.
I have had a few pairs of their staprest, the quality does seem to vary which l think means , they use different manufacturers.
I have had the stitching go at the pockets but a quick trip to the seamstress was the answer to that. .

Inkss

Reaction score
There's also this company that do an almost identical line of strides to Relco, but cheaper :

I might give the POW ones a go

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have had a few pairs of their staprest, the quality does seem to vary which l think means , they use different manufacturers.
I have had the stitching go at the pockets but a quick trip to the seamstress was the answer to that. .
I think you’re right mate - notice the fabrics. My PoW and Houndstooth ones are a rather unpleasant Poly Viscose blend but I have some light grey and black ones that are Poly cotton and much more like what you’d expect. Cuts are different too with the light grey ones being looser with a high rise, the blacks being slim fit and lower rise.

The best sta pressts I had were sky blue and dark blue from Merc. The model was called ‘Lord John’ from about ten years ago. Of course they’ve since changed the cut, style and fabric so I’ve no idea what Mercs are like now.

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you’re right mate - notice the fabrics. My PoW and Houndstooth ones are a rather unpleasant Poly Viscose blend but I have some light grey and black ones that are Poly cotton and much more like what you’d expect. Cuts are different too with the light grey ones being looser with a high rise, the blacks being slim fit and lower rise.

The best sta pressts I had were sky blue and dark blue from Merc. The model was called ‘Lord John’ from about ten years ago. Of course they’ve since changed the cut, style and fabric so I’ve no idea what Mercs are like now.
Aye, when retailers change their manufacturers, it kind of throws you a bit of a curve.
Like you , l was so pleased with my poly cotton staprest from them that l decided to try a pair of their other trousers . In my case l went for gold and green 'tonic' trousers which were a wee bit of a disappointment but considering how well done by the other trousers l felt that l could suffer it. .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads