• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought that I'd seen his face before, and the name reminded me that his photo has cropped up on another forum before.

Pre crop
View attachment 1339934
Post crop
p View attachment 1339935

What a difference an haircut makes and probably a couple of years.
I reckon every Mod l ever knew had a crop at sometime , even Weller has his version.
Back in the day a pal of mine , got a crop , bought a new trucker jacket and then got a knock back from his local cinema, on account of the fact they had new seats and they thought he would slash them . They could not have been more wrong . The last l heard the lad became a male nurse. .

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought that I'd seen his face before, and the name reminded me that his photo has cropped up on another forum before.

Pre crop
View attachment 1339934
Post crop
p View attachment 1339935

What a difference an haircut makes and probably a couple of years.

Very much like a mini-mod I bumped into when I arrived "dahn sahf" - this kid was in Bromley, Kent, in the summer of 1968, haircut like young Pete's, navy long-sleeved polo shirt with a semi-spear collar and a white stripe, Livis, and penny loafers. Late 1969 I saw him again, he'd grown a bit, was wearing a PoW suit, a Ben, and quite a severe crop, but it was the same bloke.

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very much like a mini-mod I bumped into when I arrived "dahn sahf" - this kid was in Bromley, Kent, in the summer of 1968, haircut like young Pete's, navy long-sleeved polo shirt with a semi-spear collar and a white stripe, Livis, and penny loafers. Late 1969 I saw him again, he'd grown a bit, was wearing a PoW suit, a Ben, and quite a severe crop, but it was the same bloke.
I recall there being a wee discussion amongst my pals about crew cut or semi crew , l didn't realise at the time that you were also inviting the interpretation of the barber
So , the first time l went in and asked for a crew cut , the barber who l had known since l was a boy , talked me into getting his version of 'semi crew' and l don't think my buddies were any the wiser. .

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just posted this on TLGO thread as well, in case folk on that thread don't visit this one.

Me and Mrs Yorky have been spending nearly every weekend since the start of January , and most of this week as it's half term at her recently deceased Aunties home in rural North Yorkshire, moving out all of her belongings. She had a lot of antique furniture etc which has gone to auction, but this week we were in the attic, in which was a large wooden chest, it appeared to have curtaining material in it, when I started to remove the top layers, my heart almost stopped, as I then came across all of this

IMG_8160.JPG

IMG_8159.JPG

IMG_8157.JPG

IMG_8156.JPG

IMG_8158.JPG

IMG_8163.JPG

IMG_8162.JPG

IMG_8161.JPG

Her Aunties husband died young about forty years ago and from all accounts enjoyed they enjoyed the good life, and from photos I have seen of him a very well dressed gent. I can only imagine that he bought the cloth (of which there is metres of on each roll) to get made up at some point. My missis says that I would have been his best friend if we'd have met, and that I need to get some of it made up into a coat, jackets and trousers, and possibly a suit, which I will eventually do.
Then another thing occurred, we had taken a lot of things to her local Oxfam shop, on our final trip as we were leaving something on a mannequin caught my eye, which you can see below.

IMG_8150.JPG

I couldn't believe it when I looked at the label, a DAKS overcoat made from Crombie cloth. It is almost brand new in appearance, with no signs of wear and the tailors label says it is a size 40 Reg, which is my fit.

IMG_8152.JPG

IMG_8153.JPG

IMG_8154.JPG

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A bit of serendipity there , Yorky my friend. .

Inkss

Reaction score
That's a work of art.
The only thing I'd change would be the panel colour (I'd go with the same champagne gold as the rest of the body) and the seat (I'd have palomino brown)
The custom indicator/turn-signals are really well done.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bet it never gets used on the road, I had a TV175 series 2, I had it restored, but not to that standard, and used it nearly every day. It had a few original chrome embellishments on, but no lights and mirrors. My first scooter that I bought brand new when I was 16, was a Vespa 100 (the only thing I could legally ride) It was adorned in lights and mirrors, but the lights weren't wired in as the dynamo only just managed to light up the headlight. Soon passed my test and got a second hand Vespa P200E, so that I could keep up with some of the lads in the club, except for the tuned up Lammys.
When you see pics of Mods, Skins, in the 60's and 70's, their scooters, always looked used, and were not just ornaments brought out to pose on as a lot do now.

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bet it never gets used on the road, I had a TV175 series 2, I had it restored, but not to that standard, and used it nearly every day. It had a few original chrome embellishments on, but no lights and mirrors. My first scooter that I bought brand new when I was 16, was a Vespa 100 (the only thing I could legally ride) It was adorned in lights and mirrors, but the lights weren't wired in as the dynamo only just managed to light up the headlight. Soon passed my test and got a second hand Vespa P200E, so that I could keep up with some of the lads in the club, except for the tuned up Lammys.
When you see pics of Mods, Skins, in the 60's and 70's, their scooters, always looked used, and were not just ornaments brought out to pose on as a lot do now.
You do know , it wasn't legal to ride a 100cc(even if it was only a scooter ) when you were 16yrs:cheers:

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The purple and leapord skin makes it look like a pimp mobile, that or pat butchers scooter.
Over the years , leopard skin style seat covers have been a popular modification on scooter seats , don't ask me why , not my personal choice . I do think the scooter is a cracker right enough all points above considered but I think it is far more fun if you do the majority of the restoration yourself . .

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
Over the years , leopard skin style seat covers have been a popular modification on scooter seats , don't ask me why , not my personal choice . I do think the scooter is a cracker right enough all points above considered but I think it is far more fun if you do the majority of the restoration yourself . .

Don't get me wrong i do like it

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads