1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

2. Ivyskin89

Ivyskin89 Senior member

Am I correct in assuming the Relco shirts are made in china?

3. Ivyskin89

Ivyskin89 Senior member

Nik Louis dog ear collar shirts, 100% Japanese cotton charcoal gray chambray, contrasting collar/cuffs, metal washer buttons,, hand crafted in Boston, MA.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

I prefer the one without the 2-tone effect , but not really my kind of shirt. .

5. Ivyskin89

Ivyskin89 Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Definitely for a more post skinhead/rude boy/suedehead/smoothie look.

See the guy on the right

[​IMG]

6. covskin

covskin Senior member

Flyaway collars we called them, had one aged around 9. From the oxford bags era, definitely post-suedehead.

7. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Personal preferences of course but... I wouldn't be caught dead wearing that shirt ! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. loempiavreter

loempiavreter Senior member

Regarding the whole DJ's and 'obscure' tunes (Motown > Northern Soul) thing.

Personally speaking, and this is a opinion formed from the Reggae scene rather then the NS scene.
    I know we kinda created our own 'Nothern Soul'-like hit chart for Reggae amongst the young skinheads, Reggae Revive guys and 60s jamaican music fans in mainland europe, but most popular tunes bore me to death in the reggae, and seriously... Double Barrel is just plain annoying, Return of Django bores me, Wet Dream... yikes (and pretty juvenile too, better go for the Reggae Boys cut 'Wat'cha gonna do), 54-46 is My Number is a good tune but done to death that I just can't dances to it anymore.

The only couple of Reggae 'Hits' I really enjoy are some of the songs covered on the Tighten Up album, and in particular Kingstonians - Sufferer (which never bores me ever, perfect combination of strong riddim and social conscious lyrics) and I think Tony Tribe - Red Red Wine is a surpisingly good tune for an english production with heavy bass.

It's not like nowadas popular music is indefinately better, then the stuff that appears underground now is it? Marketing and money makes us believe a tune is good. Especially in the case of jamaican music when lots of tunes never got a release in the UK, not because they where bad tracks. But maybe because lyrically too 'dangerous' for the UK Market (Run With Knife), coming from small labels (Ruddy's 'Supreme Ruler of Sound for example), sound system exclusives, JA music is literally made on a conveyer belt, many good tunes just didn't get picked up for a proper release.

Now over here, whenever a tune like 'Oh My Baby' is blasting out of the speakers. the crowd goes wild, and most people will be dancing and singing along. We have discovered the JA releases only.

Now I cannot understand how anyone could prefer a tune like Mr. Fix It from Winston Francis's catalogue (just because shitty UB40 covered it) over tunes like this one:
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

1 person likes this.
  9. Ivyskin89

Ivyskin89 Senior member

[​IMG]

Surprisingly they sell better than the button downs at the shop.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  10. Ivyskin89

Ivyskin89 Senior member

[​IMG]

Bloke second from the left, wearing one with chiseled edges. This photo is about 69/70.

I know that it was very popular in the 70's, but they were making dog ear collar shirts (even long ones) since the mid 60's. Perhaps it wasn't as popular with skinheads that early on, but it wasn't just a 70's thing.

11. covskin

covskin Senior member

^ not one to argue too much but I am not seeing it in this photo, there is not enough collar visible to say what you are saying. Could just as easily be a button-down folding in on itself. And Judge Dread is the epitome of the long and painful descent into the early mid-70s. Good luck with it though, I suspect there might be a late skinhead/early northern soul crossover somewhere, the sort of look that a bloke called McDermott seems to explore well and is kind of fun.

1 person likes this.
  12. Jukebox Dury

Jukebox Dury Senior member

Mr Templar hasn't posted in a while....

13. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

Hello Duke , I'm still here , no need to fret . I've been reading . .

I don't think this has been done on here , yet. .

[​IMG]

14. Jukebox Dury

Jukebox Dury Senior member

Seen that a few days ago, it made me laugh a bit.

15. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Thanks for Dat.Cool Post. I Think the Dude and his Crew all Look Great F'n Ad Agencies.Manipulative Son's Of.

16. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

The first thing I thought was "Hey - I have a sheepskin like that!" :D I picked up on the 'early Northern Soul' line. There's a lot of the 'late Northern mod' about him.

17. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

I tend to agree. I enlarged the photo as much as I could and came to the conclusion it's just an inadvertent 'trick' of the photo. No one of that era would have worn a collar like that. I don't even think they were in the shops yet. None of the hippies at college had 'em.

When they did become popular - early 70s, the shape was slightly different. If you look at the pic of JD, you can see a kind of outwards flair to the collar, more exaggerated than on the modern Ivyskin version. Somewhere I had a pic of myself wearing one I cadged off an arty mate in 1971, but I'm damned if I can find it.
    :(

1 person likes this.
  18. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I agree,never saw one before the end of 71,but I think some Motown groups like the Jacksons wore shirts with collars something like them,maybe it was an American thing ?.
    Worn under a a scoop neck striped tank top the most hideous fashion ever seen.

19. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

Looks a bit of a hotch-pot of styles to me - Skinhead/Suedehead/Mid 70's Northern Soulie

20. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

Agreed - a very 1972 look. I'm pleased to say that I never wore either garment.