1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. cocostella

cocostella Senior member

Were Weejuns strictly a mod-revival thing, or did they cross over from Ivy back in the day?

2. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

True, but the sociology in the UK back then was just how roytonboy described it - to 15/16/17-year olds, blokes of 18/19/20 were 'men', and to the latter the former were 'kids'. There was a different feel to the punk era, to an extent.

Anyhow, back in the soul era, I already had thoughts of being a DJ and had done a couple of gigs - maybe I would have become one of the name DJs of the early 70s. You never know! Me at the Blackpool Mecca!

Just idle dreams! :D

1 person likes this.
  3. Man-of-Mystery

Ja gewiß!

4. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I can only remember seeing one lad that I knew wearing Bass weejuns,there must have been more,this was about 1971 towards the end of the suedehead period in our area.
    I remember this for a good reason,I quite liked them and about 3 years ago I finally bought a pair in cognac,they aren't great quality ( I think made in El Salvador) and I have never worn them out of the house ( yet).
    When you say mod-revival,do you mean 79 (ish) ?,I did see lads wearing weejuns then,not just mod revivalists but ordinary lads,some wore them with white towelling socks.

5. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I definitely agree,thats how it was with the age groups,being much younger we could not have gone in pubs or clubs,but we did watch the fashions the "older" lads were wearing in town and at football. Maybe that's partly why I can identify more with the clothes and football memories and the music doesn't interest me.Lads were leaving school at 15 and going to work that created a gulf between them and the kids still at school.

6. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

OK, No worries.

7. Pequod

Pequod Member

Nach der Rechtschreibereform aus dem Jahr 1996 schreibt man gewiss. [​IMG]

8. cocostella

cocostella Senior member

Yes, I was wondering if mods were wearing them in late sixties vs the 79' revival time. I wore them in 80' with the white socks as you described. Of course, back then they were made in the USA and of much higher quality. I usually go with Allen Edmonds for that very reason these days.

9. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

I remember wearing them between 76-79.Both the regular Penney ones and the beef rolls.
    They were never a great quality shoe,with inferior stitching and lesser quality leather seemingly used in the heel area and the cross straps.They had an interesting little white nylon plug in the heel that slowed down the wear.i much preferred Spanish made loafers that I got in Majorca at that time.identicle style and far better quality.

10. cocostella

cocostella Senior member

Thanks for the comments cerneabbas and gsvs5. Something about that look... I seem to always come back to it...

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  11. Man-of-Mystery

Ja, gewiss! :D

12. Jukebox Dury

Jukebox Dury Senior member

Jawohl [​IMG]

13. Man-of-Mystery

1 person likes this.
  14. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

[​IMG] Never been a big fan of Johnny i must say, even if he's a kind of institution here. He's not the only French singer (well in his case half French half Belgian) who made a lot of covers in the 60s/70s... Claude François was another one, and the first to sing My way, that he co-wrote.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  15. Stingy Brim

Stingy Brim Well-Known Member

16. Man-of-Mystery

Comme d'habitude - I remember that one!

I seem to recall Hugues Aufray covered Bob Dylan songs - L'homme orchestre for example (Mr Tambourine Man) - and the Beatles too (Je croyais - Yesterday)

As for Johnny... Half-Belgian? Oh what a damning indictment! :D

[Off topic!]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  17. Jukebox Dury

Jukebox Dury Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. Man-of-Mystery

We're not just off topic - we've left the bloody solar system!

19. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

As promised, an update on the Twisted Wheel.

We had a good night on Friday as we had a nice chat with others, the music is always good and we did plenty of dancing. The club itself, however, was VERY quiet. I would say that there were about 50 people there - we all congregated in the smaller of the two rooms and everyone who was there decided to make the most of the night and we enjoyed it.

Early on we had a good chat with Pete (featured in video clips that have been posted recently) and he was bemoaning the fact that people keep persuading him to put on night do's, then they don't turn up. He gets between 400 and 500 for his Sunday afternoon/early evening sessions which he said makes for a great atmosphere (and are also, therefore, financially rewarding). He told us that last Friday would be the final one and I have just checked the web-site and sure enough, all the Friday dates have been removed.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  20. baggycasual

baggycasual Well-Known Member

Great to see this thread still going. Incredible it's now over 1200 pages. This is just a quick plug as I'm selling my last few bits on Ebay that some here might appreciate. I won't take any offence if an admin considers this post spam. For those interested I'm selling:

Merc Harrington in Navy size M
    Fred Perry Laurel Wreath fly placket polo size 38 (M)
    Baracuta long sleeve gingham shirt black and white size M

All brand new, never worn etc.

I'll give you all 10% off if you buy direct through Paypal and not Ebay.

Feel free to send me any messages or questions on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/ps2-games-genuine-seller/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

ps2-games-genuine-seller