1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

I wasn't aware that Loakes were using India for manufacture . I had the thought that on the box (or somewhere , when you bought them) is said something like , "0nly ever made in Northamptonshire England . .

I currently own 4 pairs of Loake , as far as I know they were all made in Englandshire. .

2. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Only Loake 1880 are definitely made in England...some shoes are cut in India and put together here some are produced entirely in India this has been happening for some years apparently,I think that Barkers and Grensons do the same..

3. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

4. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

She is still around - and I nicked that pic.

He had a lovely wife - for years - after her - which is why I tried to I tried to hide the earlier burd! :nodding:

Thanks folks - I really loved him and we' d get each other out of the 'Shovel' on bail at weekends. :satisfied:

5. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Still wiv us - not seen in 40 years - he moved on. (Thanks, M. Clouseau.) :nodding:

6. elwood

elwood Senior member

Been looking for a cardigan of the proper style for some time. Seems to be as hard to find as a white or stone mac these days.

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago out of the corner of my eye I caught sight of a cardigan in a Levi's store while passing by and didn't have time to go in and haven't been by it since. Looking on the interweb, it seems to be this one:

http://www.mrporter.com/mens/Designers/Levis_Vintage_Clothing

(Hope the link works)

Just wondered if anyone had thoughts or comments? Seemed maybe a bit too ribbed to me but the buttons looked right. BTW don't take too much notice of the Mr. Porter price; it's available elsewhere for just about half what they're quoting.

Happy Christmas to all.

7. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

Aye , link works , looks good , elwood. The £225 is steep half that is a bit more fair , but you might be a bit wairy about washing it. .[​IMG]

8. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

MERRY CHRISTMAS, ONE AND ALL!

Best wishes to you and all your families. Have a great time.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  9. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Same to you! Hope we all get what we wish for in 2015 too!

10. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Interesting article. I'm glad i bought my Loake Royals eight years ago, when uppers & soles were still Made in England..
    Speaking of Chunky cardigans, Mikkel Rude made a nice one (in 3 different colours), but i think it's discontinued.

[​IMG]

I wish all of you, mods (hard & soft), skinheads, suedeheads, smoothies, boot boys, soul boys, a merry Christmas !

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  11. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

Joyeux Noël, Inspecteur. .

I think you are right about the Mikkel Rude numbers , I tried to get one a while back but he seemed to have discontinued them in favour of a finer knit cardy with fitba' buttons. .

At any rate , may a fine festive season be had by all the regulars , on this fine (bespoke of course) thread. .

12. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

An interesting photo (looks "first wave" to me, but of course i can be wrong, as B&W pics are tricky. If it's second wave, they are quite smart. What do you think about the date ?) that i don't think we had before (usual disclaimer). The two lads are exactly dressed the same way, so it's kind of regimental. Sheepskins, shirts (most probably BD, but a bit difficult to see. The one on the left seems to have a "roll"), tie & trilby. I remember MOM said the loosen tie and undone shirt top button was a more elaborate look that what you can think at first sight (he even made a small sketch).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  13. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

The guy in the foreground defo seems to be wearing a BD . It certainly looks like a button on his right collar. .

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  14. riton23

riton23 Active Member

it's Kevin Rowland on the right

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  15. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Isleworth, London, 1970.

I was just 16 - these kids are obviously younger.

[​IMG]

Can't place the shirt - possibly an importer trying to cash in on a fashion that had (largely) moved on.

The 'Harrington' also one of the cheaper 'knock-offs' that the youngsters could afford.

This guy has the copyright, BTW: https://www.flickr.com/photos/sensible/

1 person likes this.
  16. Gramps

Gramps Senior member

Quite a few good flicks along with this one Ed, nice find.

These 2 lads are in more than one.

17. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

:cheers:

Right, for us Northern monkeys - grrrrr... :http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.../legendary-clothing-chain-stolen-ivor-8357895

The Levi's claim is a moot point - but I was 12 in 1966, so I can't comment.

I have mentioned SFI on this thread a couple of years ago, stating I preferred the classier :satisfied: 'Justins' in the Underground Market Centre in Market Street, Manchester.

EDIT: The Clarks are made in India. (It's on the inside of the tongue.) :cloud:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  18. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

Where did you get that one , that looks more like Rowland than the first pic. .

19. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

Ed - wasn't there a 'Stolen From Ivor' next door to 'Justins' in the Oasis market centre? (Just above the steps)

20. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

I am racking my brains to remember where Levis could be bought in Blackpool in 1967/68. I don't recall anyone actually travelling to Manchester for them (of course it's possible, because we were in and out of Manc, going to the Wheel and so on), but by then Wrangler, Lee Cooper, and Lee Rider jeans were 'acceptable' amongst the mod crowd there. I have a feeling that the same shop that sold Wranglers etc. sold Levis. The alternative source for Levi jeans, jackets, etc. was from your mates. Sometimes you would be in the right place at the right time, when a mate had just bought a new pair. If he was the same build as you, and if his old pair weren't wrecked, you could cadge them off him, maybe offering a quid or, if you were lucky, ten bob for them. A few patches didn't matter. On occasions someone would sell a brand new pair of jeans or a jacket cheap, and more than likely they were knockoffs. I think I mentioned that I once - very briefly - owned a Levi leather jacket from such a transaction.