• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

flyfronted

Reaction score

Just thought you lot would appreciate a good picture!
smile.gif
bunch of tramps the lot of em .

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Just catching up with the thread. Yes, perhaps Bunters can try to persuade her. I think she looks stunning in all the pics we have seen - in a pared back way. It reveals the fact that we did not have to Shout back then. A few well-chosen pieces, carefully put together and worn with confidence.....A blueprint for a stylish life.

Last edited:

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Evidently,this was a "street" term referring to Speed.The Powderused to come in Black Capsules so the full name was "Black Mollies".

Yes, got that. But the caption on the photo seemed to be saying that was a skinhead term meaning 'girls'.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Great!
smile.gif

But 'mollies'? Anyone heard that term?
Just to throw my two cents in... Maybe a reference to the sensual "Sweet Molly Malone"?
The song became Dublin's anthem, but it was first published in Edinburgh and London.
And the name Molly is a familiar version of Mary and Margaret and may be use as a generic name?

Last edited:

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

Yes, got that. But the caption on the photo seemed to be saying that was a skinhead term meaning 'girls'.
I reckon - but what do I know - the reporter (sic) was alluding to the girls being the fellas' 'molls' - as in gangsters' molls.

:embar:

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As this is now 'Mod to Suedehead' I couldn't resist sharing this pic from Facebook of Daniele at the Brighton Mod Weekender. That look (apart from the hair) is almost exactly what I was wearing come 1970 but nowhere nearly as well as Daniele does it! It certainly is in marked contrast to the twats with their mollies!
1185632_10151988512623296_632108140_n.jpg

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I reckon - but what do I know - the reporter (sic) was alluding to the girls being the fellas' 'molls' - as in gangsters' molls.

shog[1].gif
(from several sources:)
Moll derives from Molly. Moll and Molly were working class female names. In the past the word "Moll" was used to refer to a prostitute or a gangster's girlfriend.
Molly malone, said to be a part time whore, was a "Moll".
wink.gif

Last edited:

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

(from several sources:)
Moll derives from Molly. Moll and Molly were working class female names. In the past the word "Moll" was used to refer to a prostitute or a gangster's girlfriend. 
Molly malone, said to be a part time whore, was a "Moll". ;)

Ok but never heard it in reference to Skinhead Girls.If I had said that-a right hander would have flashed across.....:)

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thursday, 5th of September,2013. Majestic Soul at the "Horse and Groom" Pub,28,Curtain Road,Shoreditch.EC2A 3NZ.Early Doors Session - Roots Of Reggae,with myself and Mr.Biggs(5pm - 6:30).Afterwards 60s/70s Soul with Guest Djs. Finishes at Midnight. Admission Free. :)

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Just suppositions
puzzled.gif
about the legend of the picture, Browniecj...

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did anyone see any reports about the Isle of Wight scooter rally ? they said on the BBC website that its the biggest scooter rally in the world..i was there in 95 ( not for the rally ) and i have to say that the scooters were very well done up...there were some that looked just as i remember them and others with themed murals that were also eye catching ( IMO ),i know a lot of people on here say scooters werent skinhead but i can definitely say that they were here.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clouseau.Thank you for the Lee Rider info,i think that you are right i need to be able to try on different types,i think that i will wait until i go on my London trip....Did you check those GTH jackets out ?,i notice that there is another firm advertising leather jackets on e bay Custom Jackets they say that they will customise one of their jackets for you,so they would make an Ma1 in brown leather,they have many styles but of course what the quality is i dont know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads