1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Unfotunately,I am going to miss this one-it clashes with The Ad-Lib.Are you going to any of the Dos in Southend next year con man?

2. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

unfortunately

I enjoyed "Mods" by Richard Barnes.Now that I have read both "Sawdust Caesers" and "Mod-The New Religion" I can now fully see the extent of that Scene.When you are involved in something you never really see the full picture-you are just enjoying the small section that you are involved in.Reading about Mods from other areas of Britain is refreshing-seeing they did exactly what you did,without telepathy. :)

Whenever Media were about,we went the other way.There was no point talking to them as they always screwed the whole story up.:slayer:

3. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

I have never read Mod-The New Religion , I looked at it in the book shop and thought "Nothing new here" , I did read Mod – A Very British Phenomenon’ and I read Sawdust Caesar-the novel (by Howard Baker - not a very decent sort) , I now have the Sawdust Caesar book you refer to but haven't read it yet . There is a book compiled by Paolo Hewitt called The Sharper Word , which consists of various stories by various authors , not only is it entertaining but l think it gives a good insight , the book finishes off with an interview with Pete Meaden . .

TBF ,brownie , I think the media do that with every story. .[​IMG]

Not to be trusted

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  4. con man

con man Senior member

no not planned on going to any do's in Southend next year, last time we went one there was in 2011 and with Margate not on any more, I dont know when our next trip down to the South East will be.
    in fact, this will be the first time in about 10 years that we havnt travelled more than a 50 mile radious of Stoke, we didnt even go to the Isle of Wight. there has been a lot more local do's on this year, dont know if thats happening more across the whole of the UK, but the more national ones we have attended seem to have had less attendence
    will go to AdLib one day, have heard good things about it, shame it clashes with Scorcher

5. seventiessister

seventiessister Active Member

Just watching a programme on the 1970s

O.M.G its hilarious, well actually I dont know whether to laugh or cry. Its on Channel 4 and its called 'It was Alright in The 1970s'.

6. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Tonight, Ch4 - Confessions of a Copper.

Sure it will be shown - again - later this week so, in the first five minutes, there is a brief excerpt from a 1969 police docu featuring half a dozen skinheads, causing a minor disturbance. :satisfied:

Just saying...

7. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

8. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Well, it was a 'set-up' incident to show how Plod deals with the young ne'er-do-wells of the day - i.e. 'us'. :embar:

Ten years or so earlier it would have been Teds, and ten years later, probably punks.

The gear - so far as what could be seen - was fairly accurate for the time tho'...

As I said, Ch4 being what it is, the prog will get aired a couple more times before being consigned to Ch4oD.

At least it's on in the first three minutes - blink and you might miss it - but the piece itself is worth a watch to hear what the police were capable of doing back in the day before PACE. (But most of us knew that, already - didn't we?) :nodding:

Edit: here you go - first three minutes: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/confessions-of/on-demand/56089-002

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  9. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

Fair play, M-o,M, you really do have a photo for every occasion!

10. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

Colin, took your advice about a visit to Brick Lane market last Sunday, we really enjoyed it and I picked up a very nice navy fly fronted mac, so thanks for the tip. I was also reminded of another of our number as there were two skinheads discussing the shoes one of them was considering buying ......... in French!

11. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

You can blame one of those seaside photographers who used to buttonhole you on the prom for that one.

12. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

Aye buddie , defo' a "set-up" given away perhaps by the broken bottle not being , er , broken. .[​IMG]

13. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

Yeh , I like the one of the skin' holding his braces and , er . . young Cilla. .[​IMG]

14. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

You're not alone, pal! :D

1 person likes this.
  15. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

Quote:I think this one below , may also have been taken around the time of the first wave. . [​IMG] :drool:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  16. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

double post. .

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  17. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

I saw a pic of her in the scud on the interweb... spaniel's ears, sprung to mind. (I can say that as i am still a fine figure of a man - or maybe two men.) :embar:

18. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

You are right about more local Dos,con man,I have been to more in Essex this year than before(with of course some in London having a Jamaican Room as well-RnB123 for one).

19. browniecj

browniecj Senior member