• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

ek77

Reaction score

I’ve been a long time reader and this book idea has been talked about for years now.... I am fairly gifted in the art of BS smelling and M-O-M set my alarm off a long time ago.

as a long time reader you really just joined this forum on 8/2013??
and you never had anything to say in all the years you were here as a long time reader???
wondering if you are just not man enough to post that under your real name??
so who is the joke now????

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Was there any of those more influential clubs that haven't been discussed in detail yet that fit in the scope of the topic? as for Peel his "Peel Sessions" are legendary in the realm of underground music and he put many great bands on the map with them no matter what you think of him his influence on music was a great one.

Peel was influential in the underground scene but, bearing in mind, there was a kick back(in the mid 60s)to what was being played by him and others.There were Mods who did not like what was happening in what they considered "their" clubs.I have already written about the Marquee,where in `67 I went to see the Skatalites and they had a Flower Power Group(The Syn)on as well.One half of the audience wondered "what the bloody hell is this??"There was definitel a split in the crowd that night.Never violence but put a lot of people off.

Clubs that were influential,in Soul and Reggae(to start with) but eventually all Reggae was:-
The Roaring Twenties,Carnaby Street,
The Limbo Club,off Poland Street,
The Ram Jam,Brixton,
The Four Aces,Dalston,
There were others,in other parts of London(but I did not know them all).

There were other Clubs outside of London that had Groups on(between `66/`67) that Mods went out to:-
Ricky Tick,in Windsor,Guildford,Hounslow,Reading and West Wycombe.

You were able to move about and a lot of Clubs that were catering for Mods would open for 2 or 3 weeks then the old bill would close them down.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
as a long time reader you really just joined this forum on 8/2013??
and you never had anything to say in all the years you were here as a long time reader???
wondering if you are just not man enough to post that under your real name??
so who is the joke now????

Well put, Steffan. This fella seems full of malarky Best to ignore his B.S.!!!!!!!

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I told you guys (and girls) a while ago that i bought a Lee Rider Japan at the sales. Here are the pictures (bad light). It's made under license by Edwin, and there is no selvedge (that must explain the cheap price).

First pic, with my son's Lee Rider...

Last edited:

Ubuntu

Reaction score
Thanks again for the informative replies.

I have read that the JTG Sta-Prest's are very slim fitting and as such I feel I am best leaving them alone as I have thick legs.

No, I have no association with Fred Perry apart from a half decade obsession with their clothing. It just seemed like a good avatar because it best represents my fashion tastes. If it's against forum rules or anything I apologise, I'll obviously remove it if so.

Know i know your on a wind up.
I'm sorry, I'm not sure what I've done up to and including this post to suggest I am on a wind up. I'm not at all, I have just seen multiple places advise to watch Quadrophenia because it generally contains a lot of the different subcultures etc.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Ubuntu, some pics of the Uniqlo "sta-prest" type trouser i talked you about. This one is the "straight", there is a "slimfit" version too.
biggrin.gif
And no, i don't work for Lee or Uniqlo !

Sirryacus

Reaction score
Peel was influential in the underground scene but, bearing in mind, there was a kick back(in the mid 60s)to what was being played by him and others.There were Mods who did not like what was happening in what they considered "their" clubs.I have already written about the Marquee,where in `67 I went to see the Skatalites and they had a Flower Power Group(The Syn)on as well.One half of the audience wondered "what the bloody hell is this??"There was definitel a split in the crowd that night.Never violence but put a lot of people off.
What exactly was happening he was trying to mix unrelated genres and expect it to go over well? the sessions I like of his are from much later eras and the genres of the bands are outside the scope of this topic for the most part.

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score
Kevin Keegan wearing what many of 'us' evolved into in 1971 - despite him being at least 3-5 years older than many of us: stack heels, 'lionels', a tank top and (almost certainly) a penny-round collar shirt. (Dunno if were dressing up - or those of his age dressing down.) :happy:

Classy, eh? (Nice 'barnett', too.)

And on the subject of 'money pockets/change pockets' (back a few pages) here's Bill Shankley wearing a pair of strides with not just the pocket, but a back fastening alternative to a belt... it's 1938!!!!! :D (Note: not flat-fronted, but that was the style, then.)

Last edited:

Little Queenie

Reaction score

Thanks again for the informative replies.

I have read that the JTG Sta-Prest's are very slim fitting and as such I feel I am best leaving them alone as I have thick legs.

I'm not sure about their sta prest, but most companies that offer internet sales have a fairly simple returns policy, I worked in fashion retail for years and would suggest ordering a few garments you like the look of and just trying them at home for fit etc. - there is so much discrepancy between sizes it can be hard to tell what will fit and what won't. If you're trying out a look you're not too confident with, then trying some ideas out in the privacy of your own home is probably a good way to work towards finding a look you're happy with.

Gsvs5

Reaction score

Kevin Keegan wearing what many of 'us' evolved into in 1971 - despite him being at least 3-5 years older than many of us: stack heels, 'lionels', a tank top and (almost certainly) a penny-round collar shirt. (Dunno if were dressing up - or those of his age dressing down.) :happy:

Classy, eh? (Nice 'barnett', too.)

Shankley was a class act.

"Some people think it is nice to be important.
I think it's important to be nice"

They don't make them like that any more.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TBH,I think that his shirt apart Shankly shows much better style than Keegan in that picture...i really hate that tank top/round collar look.(and his stacks look really cheap ones,maybe frightened to wear anything better in case he got them stolen at Lime street ).

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What exactly was happening he was trying to mix unrelated genres and expect it to go over well? the sessions I like of his are from much later eras and the genres of the bands are outside the scope of this topic for the most part.

It was more Progressive Rock.In the beginning he was a bit too ahead but then other Clubs started up-UFO,Middle Earth(this was the Club that he found his feet),The Revolution etc.,around `67.These Clubs pushed the Music of Pink Floyd,Hendrix,Cream etc.They appeared in these and other Clubs.Slide Shows,Liquid Lighting were all part of the Scene..Do not forget it was thriving then-until they got closed down.Personally speaking I could not handle the music or the lights.That was when I looked around to see other outlets. :)

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

TBH,I think that his shirt apart Shankly shows much better style than Keegan in that picture...i really hate that tank top/round collar look.(and his stacks look really cheap ones,maybe frightened to wear anything better in case he got them stolen at Lime street ).
Harsh... but true! :)

Agree with you on the style angle, too... standards did slip from the halcyon clean, tidy, no-fuss look of previous years, but fashion is (supposed to be) about evolution, I suppose.

That said, the follow-on to stack heels - platforms - were hardly original, with women(exclusively) wearing them in the Forties - and beyond.

This website, if you like football and can be arsed going through it, has some bizarre outfits worn by the UK's top players, predominantly in the 1970s.

There are some disasters here: http://www.kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=148264&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Harsh... but true! :)

Agree with you on the style angle, too... standards did slip from the halcyon clean, tidy, no-fuss look of previous years, but fashion is (supposed to be) about evolution, I suppose.

That said, the follow-on to stack heels - platforms - were hardly original, with women(exclusively) wearing them in the Forties - and beyond.

This website, if you like football and can be arsed going through it, has some bizarre outfits worn by the UK's top players, predominantly in the 1970s.

There are some disasters here: http://www.kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=148264&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Good old Photos Ed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads