1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

Definitely a glasses case I think . .

Obviously this would be early Skinhead which really doesn't look that far removed from Mod. .

The kids from DM will just be models that don't necessarily know how to carry the style , like the ones used on the Lambretta website are also like cardboard cut-outs . Perhaps the guys used on the DNA website are a bit more like the thing. .

2. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

Yeah I popped in the DM shop in Boston(to buy boot laces) and those Smiths caught my eye as a Hawkins Astronaut type-thing. Pretty nice!

3. loempiavreter

loempiavreter Senior member

What about these kids... This is from 1970 (according to description). The middle kid even has the back of his hair like The Jam-era Paul Weller haha. Also note the middle fella with his unbuttoned shirt. You hardly (or won't) see that in today's scene, because it won't go unnoticed with the skinhead fashion police ;) That's the difference between now and then, they are not living in a box of regiments.

Also note the kid with (looks like) nr.1 in the back, while his mates favour the longer, peanut cut, for lack of better words.
    [​IMG]

You don't wanna know what the interview is about (P - Bas...h.. but they do have a west indian mate :) ).

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  4. kicksinstyle

kicksinstyle Well-Known Member

It looks like the guy on the right (closest to the interviewer) is wearing not only an American Cravat, but also a cardigan over a v-neck jumper! His mum was probably worried about him catching a cold.

5. loempiavreter

loempiavreter Senior member

There's no american cravat, I watched the video again. That's blur and lightning. The other observation is correct though!

6. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

I couldn't find the video . So I would have to ask what the interview is about. .

The guy in the black cardigan for me is the classic look for the period of early skinhead, however if he fastened the cardi' he wouldn't look out of place as a mid-6ts Mod . The open neck , of two top buttons is a more contemporary style and would fit in with what the masses do today.

I reckon, from personal experience , that the cardi' over the slipover is a rarer style that was very of that particular time in that , it was rarely done before or since but it is good to see much more of a variation back then than the more uniform look that emerged in the 8ts that was probably caused by a strong desire to be recognised as such. .

The guy in the background with the nr1 confirms the diversity with the look at the time (he does look a bit menacing when he stops laughing). .

7. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

The size of it is the U.S. Government is always looking for the best possible deal whoever did it cheapest that year got the contract, I've saw some BDU's contracted out Wrangler before.

8. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that 'square-back-with-round-corners' on this bloke's haircut is known as a 'Boston back'. That's what I always used to ask for anyway.

[​IMG]

9. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

If I had been asked to date this photo, I would have said the summer of 1971 - i.e late skinhead, becoming suedehead. (and therefore returning to more of a Mod image)

It's all about the time/place continuum - slight variations in clothes and length of hair in different regions at various times make it very difficult to accurately date things, so our opinions will always vary.

10. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

Should be "I've seen " , saw in that sense is grammatically wrong because you are using the compound verb. .

You missed out the word "to" , also. .

Hope this helps. .

11. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

What can I say I was drunk hahaha.

12. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

[​IMG]

13. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

Yup. Everywhere but in Boston does it seem to be called that. I've spoken to barbers here about it, and none of them has heard of it-- but when I'm traveling outside New England and need a haircut, I'll ask for it squared off in the back, and the barber will say, "oh, a Boston Cut" or "Boston Square". Here in the Hub, we just call it a haircut :)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  14. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  15. kicksinstyle

kicksinstyle Well-Known Member

Dynamite pic, would make a great xmas card!

1 person likes this.
  16. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

The guy in the sheepskin coat , looks like Phil Danniels. .

17. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

Don't think Spurs celebrate Christmas do they?[​IMG]

18. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

[​IMG]

19. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

:happy:

20. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

[​IMG]