1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. McDermott

McDermott Well-Known Member

Christ, I bet the fella on the right in red braces regrets his days of youthful dressing when he found out he couldn't have kids...

1 person likes this.
  2. TomMc666

TomMc666 Senior member

Probably had to have them surgically removed

Looking down towards the Kursaal, near the Tottenham pub, August Bank Holiday, 79. A nice day out!

3. toomanyquestion

toomanyquestion New Member

Hey Get Smart (Or anyone else for that matter) I've been methodically plodding along this thread starting from page 1 and ran across this from 2010

" One thing I gotta say is if you do wear thin braces you'd better not be fat, nothing more unsightly than an older fat guy still wearing braces for the past 30 years like he was skinny and 19. That's sort of my #1 pet peeve about skinheads, are guys who never evolved their skinhead look they grew up with, with a more age-appropriate city-gent-ified look and therefore end up looking like an odd anachronistic re-creation society, a la Teddy Boys. The basic traditional skinhead/suedehead style is one you can grow old with, but at the same time the look can age you prematurely too, making you look like a stodgy old geezer before you actually are one just as easily as it can make you look like you're having a mid-life crisis if you wear bleachers etc, so it's all about finding a good mix to keep yourself modern and relevant while remaining somewhat faithful to the original style. that's my 2 pence worth."

I'm curious about the "making you look like a stodgy old geezer" bit. Could dyou ellaborate a bit more on that? I'm feeling like I look more and more like an "old geezer" the more I get into "The Look"

EG I recently returned a really nice pair of Weejuns I picked up at TKMax for 30 euro just cause the comments my mates made vis a vi looking like an old fart

Cheers

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  4. Ivyskin89

Ivyskin89 Senior member

5. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

6. Ivyskin89

Ivyskin89 Senior member

You name it, I can get most colors. Free shipping, and free alterations!

7. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

@Ivyskin89

Yeah, nice roll on those collars. Have i got to buy from Boston Mass. Ivy?

8. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

your mates are missing the point - a older man should sport timeless Ivy clobber not fashion .. bet the daft buggers wear trainers and cargo shorts

1 person likes this.
  9. Ivyskin89

Ivyskin89 Senior member

You can order from me. Send me your measurements, preferred color, preferred fabric (broadcloth or oxford). I'll let you know what I can do for you. I may not be able to get every color in every fabric only because I won't use Chinese fabric. I use Japanese, American, and vintage fabric. Italian cotton costs more but I can get that too.

10. Cleav

Thanks Ivy, I'll do it via PM. Much appreciated.

1 person likes this.
  11. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Correct!:satisfied:

Why would any of us - even the skinny buggers - want to emulate (totally) the styles and clobber of 45-50 years' ago... most wouldn't.

It's about (for me, anyway) retaining an element of the classic style(s) and look of bygone times without looking like I've been bin-diving in some old skips.

'Sharp' and well-turned-out does it for me and, I still get 'spotted' by those that know about the look.

That said, whatever floats your boat and us older fellas have no monopoly of style and fashion, just 'cos we were born early. :happy:

I've seen some very tidy 'youngsters' squeezed into gear I can only dream of - or remember. :D

Nurse - medication time, I believe! :embar:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  12. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

13. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Seconding Flyfronted and Ed!

14. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

You can still recognise ex Skinheads our age.Its the walk,and the swagger.

15. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

For those who (still) believe in buying British :satisfied: here's a fairly comprehensive list.

Not sure if the entire lot can be relied upon, what with the number of far-east exports the rest of the world has taken to its bosom, but you have to start somewhere. :D

http://www.greyfoxblog.com/p/british.html

1 person likes this.
  16. Cleav

That's mint Ed, thanks

17. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

The Guardian doing it`s usual and missing out on a few Facts.:brick:

Good to see "British Clothing getting a mention-and as quoted "the Older Man" can be interested.The only problem is the sizes are made for Sparrows.This is what really annoys me,you into any Shop selling Menswear and all you see is the smaller sizes.The larger ones have sold out.A Case in Point,Marks and Spencers had something I was interested in(a Polo Shirt).All Summer it has only small sizes on offer(even online).A week ago,xxxl came in Stock- within a couple of hours they were gone.That is it for the Summer.When you go into Shops with Sales on,it is always the bloody small sizes left.Can`t the Buyers think"Hang on,we are selling larger sizes a lot quicker than the small ones-lets stock more".Do they f*ck.

Older Men are bigger sizes,Grey Fox or whatever you call yourself. :)

18. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Got the same problem here with clothes's big sizes, as i'm rather tall, it's a problem to find something that suits me, well at least with the proper length... The good point, i spend less money on clobber i suppose.

This picture is supposed '69. I'm a bit puzzled about the t-shirt under the BD shirt. It was not too common i think ?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  19. buttons

buttons Senior member

Inspector, judging by (various aspects of the picture plus) the cut of the shirt, I'd say '69 (as opposed to '68 or '70). (Just look at his) Buttons

20. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Good to see you back Buttons,and for your expert opinion on-er Buttons......:D

Are you at the "Sound and Pressure"/"Scorcher" Weekender in Nottingham,this weekend.If so I will see you at the Bar-for a couple or more .....:fonz:

Still a bit life in these old shoes(sounds like a good record title :)).