1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Recyclablehero

Recyclablehero New Member

I’ve been reading this thread for over 2 days and still loving it, it’s great to hear what being a skinhead or peanut was about originally, before some things got distorted across the pond. I’ve been trying to move closer to the early skinhead style of the mid to late sixties and I think this is the best place to look for advice.

I saw a few pictures of guys with cropped hair and shaved part and I was wondering how common it was in the original days? I usually do a #1 or 2 all over but since my hair clipper died on me, I’m thinking about hitting the barbershop and maybe get the part done but I’d like to hear from you guys before I decide on how and where.

2. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Welcome to the thread.

I never had mine shaved-in 'back in the day' so I can't help. But plenty of blokes did, and there's even some footage on a well-known documentary film of the day which shows a young lad asking his barber for it to be done. It has been on the thread before, but I'm sure someone can find it and put it up again.

3. craig matthew

craig matthew Member

Does anyone have a britac shirt I was just wondering what the fit was like,also looking for some bass weejuns wider than a d fitting
    Cheers

4. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

5. loempiavreter

loempiavreter Senior member

Would be interested if it wasn't sta-prest "jean style".

6. Inks

Inks Senior member

I can't be doing with 'jean-style' either. I don't even wear actual denim jeans nowadays.

7. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I saw a few pictures of guys with cropped hair and shaved part and I was wondering how common it was in the original days? I usually do a #1 or 2 all over but since my hair clipper died on me, I’m thinking about hitting the barbershop and maybe get the part done but I’d like to hear from you guys before I decide on how and where.
    [/quote]

It was fairly common where I was.I had a No.2 with the razor parting-none of my Mates had it right "down to the wood",but there were plenty about- mainly on the younger ones.

8. bunty

bunty Senior member

Thanks for the Steve Ellis piece Dopeman and Brownie, I've been rediscovering The Love

Affair this week. I'd forgotten how good they were.

Steve Ellis wasn't having any of that foppish carry-on was he?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dig these far out Sten gun toting dolly birds!

2 people like this.
  9. Inks

Inks Senior member

Reminds me of when all my mates went 'casual' and I didn't.

10. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Dutch Television for you-not a bloody clue !!!!! :D

11. Inks

Inks Senior member

My bench-grade, Irish-made longwings after a couple of weeks of breaking-in. They're still taking lumps of flesh out of my feet like they've got capybara teeth stitched into the heels.[​IMG]

12. catchourbreath

catchourbreath Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

80s most likely,

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  13. covskin

covskin Senior member

^ the first one is an early (mid-80s) example of the whole 'Spirit of 69' nonsense while the fourth is its recent fruition on Tumblr via the revisionism of This is England. The rest look natural and unforced, in tune with their time (early/mid 80s).

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  14. catchourbreath

15. covskin

covskin Senior member

^ that's me on the left and you on the right.

16. catchourbreath

Couldn't be me, never had a yellow fred !

Does Fred Perry still make 3 button slim fit polos anymore ? I have one the Merc made under license from the late 90s, but haven't seen any in recent years.

17. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

If the stock in the Glasgow FP shop is anything to go by, yes.

18. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

On the Fred Perry subject, we had a talk recently about Fred & braces, and if some originals wore them together or not. Found this picture, the film colours look a bit old to me.
    [​IMG]
    I wonder if the lad on the left is not the same that on this Newcastle 1969 picture (already posted):
    [​IMG]
    Where he wears (on the left) a single tipped Fred Perry with braces.

About the 3 buttons Fred Perry with piping, those you can find nowadays are Japanese made. Some 3b "slim fit" Freds without trim were made in Europe recently, i've got some. But the collar is a little smaller.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  19. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

80s?

Not sure if you can still buy the Italian made 3 button?

This one is a few years old now:
    [​IMG]

20. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

@ MrK. Edited my precedent post. About Italian 3b Freds, it's possible they are still made, but i guess you can only find them in Italy.
    I noticed the last times i went to Italy that there was a lot of Italian FP stuff you can't find elsewhere. Got a nice Italian FP cardy, black with a single yellow trim BTW.

Last edited: May 13, 2014