1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Obviously taken in the Via Carnabia! :D

2. Man-of-Mystery

The pic below is of a young man called Julian Bond. It dates from 1963, and comes from this post at garmsville.com. Worth a read, it's about the semiotics (verbal, visual, cultural 'codes') of Ivy League, and relevant to this thread in its conclusions.

[​IMG]

3. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

Thanks for sharing this link. The further link to the Face book photos was interesting as there were some photos on there that have not been on this site - well worth a look

4. londonspykid

londonspykid Member

Haha, call me what you will M-o-M,
    Yeah I remember hearing that story of the press confusion-hence the name. My idea of a clever screen name :)

Thanks for your recollections, the impression I got from previous discussions was that the blazer was more popular circa 71 than say 69 but as you said this might have well have been a regional thing. In anyway regardless of the specific year if anyone has any more information on the kind of blazer that would have been worn then I'd love to hear it.

5. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I wore a 3 Button(Brass) Navy Blue Blazer with a Centre Vent and Patch Style Pockets - this would be `70.I never wore it with Football Badge(I never wore anything with Badges etc.,on).I hope this is of some use to you "londonspykid".Good to have you on
    here.

6. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I would put the Trojans - but that came later(or earlier,if you get my drift). :)

7. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

As you have noted ,it has been pretty much covered earlier.The majority never wore badges as I recall .That limited you to how much you could wear the thing.In my mind it was always patch pockets and metal buttons.
    I know others have posted pictures of flap pockets and regular buttons,but I personally would disagree with that,as it did not differentiate it enough from any other suit /sports jacket.To me,a Blazer always needs metal buttons unless it is a DB Military/Merchant Navy style with plastic anchor buttons.I did see the odd Blazer Badge sewn onto a regulars sports jacket by some clueless div,but you get that with everything .
    The only badges we wore were the smallest of the enamel pin badges which could easily be removed.This has also been covered earlier.

8. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

Welcome Londonspykid

I wore a blazer in 1971 - in our area (Greater Manchester) they were very popular at that time. Most people wore black with silver buttons (3) however I had a navy one. I seem to recall that mine had side vents, though I couldn't swear to that. The wearing of football badges was not seen that often by us but VERY popular was a badge depicting a red rose of Lancashire (in Yorkshire they wore a white rose badge). I would guess that neither of these would have much appeal to you. Badges of the Twisted Wheel Club were sometimes seen (but only if the wearer had actually attended) I never wore a badge on mine. Lapels at this time had become a little wider than those on a sixties Mod suit.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  9. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

Great link MOM.

"Or, even more interesting to me, is the notion that, like our jet-setter mentioned above, the style allows you to have whatever meaning(s) you fancy depending on your context and deportment."

Which has allowed the longevity of style over fashion,I would add.The great thing about the group photo is the amount of variation between each one individually,and yet the cohesive image that appears.I think that is something that was apparent (even with limited resources) for us forty +years ago,that is sometimes missed today.From someone looking in from the outside today,it appears to be de rigeur to wear a Brutus check with a Tonic or Harrington etc and little deviation throughout,either from fear of ridicule or lack of knowledge?

As you stated in your comments of Glasgow,"The Devil is in the details"

".[​IMG]

10. londonspykid

londonspykid Member

Thank you all! That's been really helpful, much appreciated.

11. Inks

Inks Senior member

On the subject of the longevity of style over fashion. There's the above photo of Jack Kennedy...
    [​IMG]
    .....and this one of Gerald Ford.
    It sort of sums up the differences between the 60s and 70s for me. The optimistic, stylish 'Swinging Sixties' didn't happen for everyone, and was positively grim for a lot of people. But in the early-mid 70s, even the leader of the Free World looked depressed and dressed like crap.

12. elwood

elwood Senior member

Welcome again, Londonspykid.

I can't add much to what roytonboy said about blazers in the Manchester area (1971): most prevalent were black barathea, 3-button single-breasted, silver buttons, badges as described. My recollection is also of double vents: seemed to make it easier for cool posing with hands in trouser pockets. I think I also may have posted earlier about seeing some extreme variations on sleeve buttons - one lad round my way had them reaching almost to his elbows.

13. elwood

elwood Senior member

Gerald Ford looks like he's wearing Ruperts with matching jacket - a Rupert suit! (Not that I ever saw such a hideous outfit as a Rupert suit ... No doubt someone will now recall one :D )

14. Man-of-Mystery

Hail Caesar! Is that shirt one of Brutus's?

15. Man-of-Mystery

Good grief - the bloke's wearing a car-rug!

16. Man-of-Mystery

I just picked up this suede trucker jacket at a vintage market. I had been looking out for one for quite some time - okay it's not a Levi, but I would have given an eyeball for it when I was 17! It looks good on. There's a story attached to it, though, and as I don't know yet whether it has a happy ending, I'll keep it back for now.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

Thanks for the link Inks. Bought 2 and for the money they are good

18. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Now,I am not talking to you........:D

Good looking Jacket M-o-M.

19. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Harry Fenton only sold single vent Blazers.I did not really get into double vents until later.

20. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

Single vent is where it's at anyways. :cool:

1 person likes this.