1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Inks

Inks Senior member

Yep, Brooks Brothers are pretty much the standard to judge any shirts on. Not the best shirts by any means. But a good benchmark
    [​IMG]
    A Brooks Brothers shearling coat for sale on US ebay. Very nice.

1 person likes this.
  2. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

I'm not saying the music was bad - far from it. But there is a whole world of difference between 'period' music and 'enthusiast' music, hence the comparison to Northern Soul.

Again, not saying there weren't some nicely-dressed people there, but 'the devil is in the detail' however.

For example - lots of Harringtons, but no one with the collar raised.

3. Man-of-Mystery

After a while I couldn't see anyone's feet, and I certainly couldn't hear anyone's accent! ;)

It was a great way to spend an afternoon, and I'l certainly go again. I'll pick a seat further from a speaker, though!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  4. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

M-O-M, that brought back some memories! I think we can all be a bit guilty of looking back with rose tinted glasses at how great those times were but in reality you often had to have your wits about you on a night out (and a Saturday afternoon). I'm not known for smiling much and in retrospect it's probably a throwback to those days. Of course, I'm not saying they weren't good times......

1 person likes this.
  5. Little Queenie

Little Queenie Senior member

Great to see you too Mr.M, even though I had to express my concern over your mental state (rare reggae can do that). The asylum we discussed was Winterton, by-the-way.

1 person likes this.
  6. Mark Handsome

Mark Handsome Member

I was at Windrush too.
    Quite a few suits and a lot less jeans/boots at the evening do

The thing about music is when it was 1969 the DJ couldn't play anything from 1971, because it hadn't been recorded yet. So we are in the privileged position of being able to hear stuff from across the range,a good mix of old favourites and some lesser known stuff

The Sounds and Pressure stack sound system really blows you away
    well done the DJs for keeping the dance floor filled and well done the organisers for putting it on

7. Man-of-Mystery

How was the evening do? I see (from Mark) that there were more suits.

8. Little Queenie

Little Queenie Senior member

Lots more reggae.......... we left early.

1 person likes this.
  9. gabriela

gabriela Member

1 person likes this.
  10. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Northern Soul Doc.

11. whodicapfit

whodicapfit Member

Well Hello. Just spotted your avatar I never even had a chance of a blether mate . I had to head off around 6 ish

12. whodicapfit

whodicapfit Member

13. Man-of-Mystery

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  14. Mark Handsome

Mark Handsome Member

Roll on next year's Windrush

I also love how Phil has the Jamaican flags hanging from the sound system stack. We rarely give credit to the country that produced so much of those boss tunes

15. gabriela

gabriela Member

I still have the cold too :( Nice to meet you too! Hope you had fun!

16. londonspykid

londonspykid Member

Hello all.
    First time poster and long time reader of this thread. I am a young skinhead from london and I am extremely interested in the both the style of the original skinheads and the sounds they danced to and I'd like to give a sincere thanks to all the frequent contributors on here, as this thread has been an invaluable source of information for me, and I'm sure many others.

I hate for my first post to be a digression, but I was wondering if anyone could provide me with more information on the sort of blazers worn by originals circa 71' (I know this has already been touched on around page 800 but seems to have been skipped over quite quickly.)
    I understand they were made from barathea fabric, had patch pockets and were predominantly single vented and often with a regional or football patch on the breast pocket. But how about the blazer length-would this have been similar to a suit jacket? As for buttons, I'm assuming 3 buttons was standard and they would have been metal but was the fastening as high as on a suit and was the amount of buttons on the arm a matter of preference much like on a suit jacket? Were the shoulders natural or lightly padded? And how about the lapels?

Sorry for all the questions and if I'm treading old ground, but I couldn't find that information anywhere.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  17. Ivyskin89

Ivyskin89 Senior member

18. Man-of-Mystery

Welcome to the forum London spike 'ead - hope you don't mind if I call you that, because 'spy kid' was an invention of the UK press. :)

I can't remember which newspaper it started in, but obviously some journalist misheard a cockney saying 'spike head' and printed it as 'spy kid'.

Anyway, good to see you, no matter what your screen name is. Glad you're interested in the original look.

Having said that, I, for one, can't be much help. Where I was in London at the time (SE), by '71 we had all grown our hair and were wearing arty clothes. No one had a three-button blazer as far as I remember. Even the little kids round our way had stopped wearing obviously-skinhead clothes.

M-o-M.

19. Inks

Inks Senior member

[​IMG]
    Swinging Londinium in 64(AD)

1 person likes this.
  20. Man-of-Mystery

A little digression. Jack, Bobby, and Ted. The first US President born in the 20c and his Bros certainly had a kind of smart/casual preppy style (though who is Bobby sharing those teeth with, for heaven's sake!)

[​IMG]

From the 'High Snobiety' website:

"Oxford shirts, college style sweaters, brogues and a decent pair of leisure pants are a staple in every genuine male wardrobe. They radiate an air of understated sophistication and timeless classicism, that makes even the most unruly rascal seem like an affiliated and beneficial member of society. Here it doesn’t matter if you actually have an academic background, or if you dropped out of highschool to pursue the career of an eternal bartender – once again the comforting camouflage of fashion makes us all equals."

Or, as Willy Wonka would say...

[​IMG]

But then there's Mrs Mystery's main squeeze - I mean, did that guy ever get tired of looking cool?

[​IMG]