• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

roytonboy

Reaction score
Apart from saying I have never had one, I am not going to enter into the tattoo debate in case I say things I shall regret. But I will put up this recent link to the Sartorialist http://www.thesartorialist.com/photos/on-the-street-27th-st-new-york-4/ A thing of beauty or a waste of a beautiful girl?

Mr. Knightly, I know exactly what you mean. I never had one, none of my mates had them, the older 'Hard Mods' I knew and have referred to before didn't have any. Just not part of the scene near us, The first I ever saw on a skinhead were in a photo advert in a magazine (Sunday Times? ) for floor tiles. I didn't think it looked right - we associated tattoos with Teddy Boys, Rockers and Greasers. I appreciate now that this was not the case everywhere.

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

dist1, I dont know if you can get clothes from Marks and Spencers,but i think that some of their button downs are tidy and definitely good value for money,i bought a brown check short sleeve for £12 ! it is better quality than the Fred Perry short sleeve button downs that i looked at for £65 !. I also bought a light blue grandad vest ( £7 ) for the nice hot summer that we are going to have in England....
M & S is a godsend for those of us of a 'fuller figure', offering, as they do, some tidy clobber.

And while much of it - like everywhere else, nowadays - is sourced from the Far East, some judicious shopping on their website, and even clearance outlets, can throw up some half-decent gear.

Shirts, as you mention, plain knitwear and even socks can be had for good prices, with quality better than that which many 'labels' offer.

I am on a weight-loss regime and expect to have shed a serious amount of bulk by Autumn. (I do miss the beer, mind and it's only been a week!!!):slayer:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ed Vaughan. About M and S,i only ever got my socks and lambswool jumpers there years ago,i thought that their stuff was very old fashioned.Now i buy the shirts that i mentioned,wool trousers from their sartorial range,i got some all wool puppy tooth check flat front trousers in a sale for £20 !,bought a raincoat for £45.Funny though i dont rate their socks anymore and i couldnt find any lambswool v necks the last time i looked. Good luck with your weight loss, i found out that cider has less calories than beer so i can drink more of it !

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You's were asking about 3-button blazers, J Press still carries these, with the center vent and natural shoulders. Have some with patch pockets, some with normal. Wool and hopsack options.
J Press is the other, lesser known, major Ivy League clothing supplier. Aside from their new York Street offshoot, they're as Trad/Ivy as they come.

http://jpressonline.com/casual-jackets/

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Botolph, Some nice looking blazers there,i think that Clouseau was right fashions go around and i guess that the 3 button will come again over here.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
This tailor thought very highly of M&S: http://www.englishcut.com/archives/000016.html My own tailor has a similar view of them. They are nothing like they were in the late 60s of course when some of their stuff was actually desirable rather than an OK alternative. By coincidence I happen to be wearing a pair of M&S puppy tooth check flat front trousers right now. Mine are so called 'Autograph' and a wool mix. About £30 I recall.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Funny that Botolph mentioned J.Press, i was looking at their site earlier this morning. It's a brand i know by reputation. On the contrary of Brooks brother, they don't have a shop in Paris. Nice looking stuff but expensive.
About fashion going around, we were speaking of MA1: for years they were banned of this city, like if they had disappeared from earth, and for several months now : they are out again... But well, i will stick on my crombie next winter. (My wife says i look like a thug if i sport a Bomber jacket...)

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clouseau, I also think its an age thing with the Alpha jackets i liked wearing them when i was younger,not so sure at my age now. I have seen a nice crombie in Adam of London its herringbone very nice. I am seeing a lot of brogues,harringtons and button down shirts in the shops at the moment,they are all rubbish though !

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mr Knightley, I considered going down the made to measure route,but finding a tailor here seems as difficult as finding a 3 button blazer.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Yes i agree with you. Nowadays stuff is not very good. I tend to stick with my old clothes. Good quality lasts. I treated myself with a Baracuta last year, and (i know it is not the opinion of everybody on the forum) i love it. Bought it before the Italians got the brand, did awful and expensive versions...

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own several Baracutas, they really blow the doors off other harringtons as far as quality goes. I do have a set-in-sleeve Relco or whatever brown harrington that I love for some reason. Zip gets stuck, it ain't water resistant, etc but it has a certain charm, haha.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Yes, they are the Harrington Rolls Royce...
I remember in the eighties i bought in UK the cheaper harringtons everybody had at the time: 10 quids was the price.

Gsvs5

Reaction score

This is a 1968 MA1 replica Alpha did some years ago. Supposed to be exact to te last details. (Note there is no orange color in the inside)
Unfortunately, out of stock.

You can get one here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alpha-Indus...=US_CSA_MC_Outerwear&var=&hash=item4ab1f31b2f

I have seen others on Ebay but they do not always ship overseas.It's hard to tell from some of the photos the exact colour,but this is a much brighter green than the Sage normally seen in other issues.This has no flaps on the pockets and has the small tabs near the armpits for headset radio wires.I think it was released in 2010.It has the USA insignia printed on the sleeve which I do not personally like,but I have managed to remove most of it on mine with trial and error.

The best replica i have seen is this Japanese one from BIG in New York- The price is Rock Star money though by comparison.I just tried one on but luckily they didn't have my size :

http://thevitamine.blogspot.com/2009/06/real-mccoys-ma-1-dobbs-industries.html

Gsvs5

Reaction score
About fashion going around, we were speaking of MA1: for years they were banned of this city, like if they had disappeared from earth, and for several months now : they are out again... But well, i will stick on my crombie next winter. (My wife says i look like a thug if i sport a Bomber jacket...)

I agree about how they can look,but look at Steve McQueen in his? They look very different when worn with an oxford BD Lambswool crew, nice pair of trousers and decent smooths.
That how i've done it for the recent years and have felt comfortable in it.
Put it with a Fred perry and jeans though and you are back to square one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads