Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Nice 60's sta-prest commercial

2. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Fly-fronted macks, like 'Harry Palmer'.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Spotted that yesterday. I would love one, but the UK site only specifies small and medium, and slim fit at that. I'll make enquiries when I am next at the Levi shop in Glasgow.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  4. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

5. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

Quote:This picture seems to reveal the ‘truth’ about the way things were worn back then. The first point is that while clothes were slim fitting they were not tight as many believe today. It was a relaxed cut. The next is that shirts were almost always buttoned to the second button – quite discreet, not flashing lots of chest. This picture also shows just how uncompromising braces could be – pulling the trou just that bit too high up. That’s why many skinheads hardly wore them. My last point is that the picture reveals just how hard it was to turn up sta-prest in a satisfactory way. They almost always ended up looking botched how ever skilful you were. The fabric was just so hard to work with.

6. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

Mr Knightley - I'm sure your comment, "That's why many skinheads hardly wore them" raised a few eyebrows. Indeed, many people still associate skinheads with 'boots and braces' but we all know it was much more than that. Interestingly I was involved in a discussion only last week-end about the wearing of braces. Someone expressed surprised when I stated that more often than not braces were not openly on show, but more usually covered by a sleeveless pull-over or jacket (or cardigan as seen above). So the question is, were braces worn as a skinhead display "I do, therefore I am" or for functional purposes i.e. to get the jeans or trousers to hang right?

I have an opinion - just wondered what others thought.......

7. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

I figured as much but I've saw such pants shown as sta-prest in many places for some reason, I usually call those ones old man pants and they have had a reputation as such here since their creation but younger people did wear them back then as well I'm told, examples of such pants in pristine condition still frequent thrift stores quite often so they obviously held up quite well to multiple washings just like the sta-prest did, nobody has any confirmation on if they knew someone who wore these type? I would assume they would have been more popular in the 70's than the 60's.

8. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Thanks flyfronted.I thought the material was wrong.This material was sold to Cowboys late 60's early 70's and is now popular with certain Hipsters.

9. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

I have a few pair of the Brooks Brothers Milano and Clark sta-prest and they look and hang very similar to the ones shown above, especially the Clark as the rise is a little higher.
    If you get the lightweight BB chino, the material is a little easier to fold, and thus, hem.

10. Basset

Basset Senior member

An example of what i was getting at in my earlier post, there styled like jeans, theres loads like that on ebay, including Wranglers as mentioned, as far as staying pressed some of those look to be 100% polyester so they will do what the label says, i've got similar made by Levi's although the details differ, not recomended in hot weather, useless off road as they snag like hell and should come with a fire hazard warning saying ' These slacks produce static charges' they come in various labeling guises like the one shown, Action slacks, and Mr Levi spring to mind.

Im 46 this week, as Buttons says, damn middle age, all sorts of things happen, wearing the odd pair of slacks now and then being one for me [​IMG]

11. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

They also have another variation called Action Jeans these ones that say something like a Skosh more room they are a cotton polyester blend almost always in baby blue, another variation almost appear like regular jeans but have a little spandex for stretch as well.

12. Ivyskin89

Ivyskin89 Senior member

13. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

14. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

http://www.landsend.com/pp/mens-pla...ess-twill-trousers~251712_59.html?sku_0=::LST

http://www.landsend.co.uk/Men's-Pla...GB,pd.html&dwvar_P__21985_color=LST?cgid=5766

These seem close to what i had back in the day,and would probably buy these today.They have done them in Poplin in the past which were even better and I had a couple I wore daily for work.You can wear what you want,but as has been said,all these "jeans" styles were not the sta press of the time in my opinion.
    Don't forget everyone wore Levis or Lee jeans,and they had a 12" front rise.Trousers were worn with a similar high rise unlike the trousers and jeans of today's generation.Try finding ANY jeans with a 12" front rise today - your choices will be slim and expensive for anything decent.

15. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

I have a pic - on another machine - of my brother with my Rangers' helmet from the late 60s... I'll post.

Then there's this: http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=252497

(Page 3 of that thread has pics.) :nodding:

There were more bottles and missiles at some grounds in those days, that a daft builder's hat was worth the piss take. ;-)

From Rangers to MUFC - some boy me, eh? :satisfied:

Just back from Zagreb after watching Scotland get a win... now that's something special!!! :D

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013