• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

yankmod

Reaction score
Quote:Originally Posted by Gsvs5

Here's some actual fit pics.I don't have a jacket underneath ,so the sleeves are a fraction long.

I think you made the right choice Gsvs5. Looks good. Bunty. Great pics.They haven't been posted here before.The Lennon as Skinhead was one I wondered about as a kid(mid 70's)Always thought he killed two birds with one stone.He could shave his head for peace and to be cool like the then young sub-culture The Skinheads.I think he looks cool.Lots of Talk about scooters.I think now would be a good time to reminisce and maybe post pics.In the late 70's my uncle had a 66 Vespa in Blue.I never got to ride it.A classic.That was the compromise he made with my aunt.They got married and he had to get rid of his Harley,but he could keep the Vespa.The new Retro Vespa looks ok I think.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You had to be 16 if you wanted to be legal !!  We used these and old English bikes (now worth a fortune) for off road but it was also fun being chased by the police with their  old 'Noddy bikes' (remember them?) that could not go where we could

We knew 'Monkey bikes' as the ex-military small motor bikes that were dropped by parachute and used by (I believe) the Paras.  A mate of mine had one but I thought they were a novelty bike and you looked too big on them.  Again now worth a lot of money

If only we could have known what would be worth money 40 odd years ago and to have held on to them as an investment in to days austere times

Maybe that is where the nickname came from.If you look at a Welbike(used by the Paras)there is a similar look to a stripped down Scooter.

Gsvs5

Reaction score
Lovely Mac Gsvs5.

Cheers Lasttye.I like the cut of this Mackintosh from Drakes in London,but I don't like the rubberised cotton.
The price tag of 795 quid is a bit rich also !

Last edited:

Gsvs5

Reaction score
Stall on portobello green does some quality vintage 1970's Burberry macs for around £60
I used to have a stall there myself many years ago !Right where your avatar was photographed I believe.I always pay a visit when I am back and miss the area.Last time I picked up a nice pr of C&J Officers boots for 15 quid !Had a long chat with a Scouse fella who runs a shop on Portobello just there that sells Edwin, Baracuta and John Smedley.- I forget the name? I wasn't looking for a Mac at the time so I didn't see any.Next time.....

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score

This one is from Uniqlo, last year collection. Bought it in blue, for 70 euros during the sale.
A cheaper version indeed, but very useful withe the actual weather in Europe... And quite a nice cut.

elwood

Reaction score
After hunting around for a while ( APC ,Paul Smith,vintage etc) I settled on this one elwood.It actually run quite big.I am 165lbs / 5' 9" and as luck would have it, the Small fit me perfect.
It is a little darker colour than I wanted,but a white/off white seems almost impossible these days in the right style / length.
It looks short on the photo but is longer in reality.The finish and quality is top notch and the fabric is modern and technical without looking so.It is also very square cut at the shoulders ,which I personally like better than the raglan sleeve style.I have been searching for quite a while now,and I'm happy with this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Hart-Schaffne...r_1_4?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1369190277&sr=1-4

I'll try and take some actual photos on me tomorrow in the daylight.

Here's some actual fit pics.I don't have a jacket underneath ,so the sleeves are a fraction long.

Thanks, Gsvs5. That's a really smart looking mac - length looks right to me and I like the colour too. Not sure if I'd get away with the Small, so it's a pity that seems to be the only size they have left. I'll have to keep an eye on it.

I've still been looking since the helpful responses to my post (never able to make quick decisions). Coincidentally, I was about to put up the following specimens for comment when I saw your post.

First one is from Private White VC - a Manchester company (not surprisingly given its weather, quite a few macs used to be manufactured there) with an interesting history on its website (it was actually founded by a Private White who won the Victoria Cross).

This is described as light beige. It's probably a bit short and there seems to be a bit of a variation in the colour on the website. I'm also not sure about the buttons on the pockets.
http://www.privatewhitevc.com/sb4-flyweight-beige.html

Next one is by Crombie. Not really a back-in-the-day replica with its top pocket and tab on the collar. Also not sure about the length but it has something about it I think. Although it's described as beige the colour is pretty good to me.

http://www.crombie.co.uk/mens/raincoats/beige-fly-front-raincoat-classic-fit.html

Anyway, interested in views and comments from one and all.

Sirryacus

Reaction score
All this talk of Mac's reminds me of this british classic, I think it might be about a flasher...

Gsvs5

Reaction score
I like the Crombie one,especially how they finished the bottom like a Couvert Coat,just wish it were a bit longer in length.I was looking for something as close to what I had back in the old days,but I am not opposed to some updated styles if they are special.I almost went for this one from Brooks Brothers?The quality is very good and is a nice trim fit
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Cotto...ar_ML00035_Color=KHAK&contentpos=38&cgid=0222

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This one is from Uniqlo, last year collection. Bought it in blue, for 70 euros during the sale. A cheaper version indeed, but very useful withe the actual weather in Europe... And quite a nice cut.
A little short but nevertheless very stylish. I think my mum would have liked it on me. Which is saying a lot!

ladybyrd

Reaction score
Are there any female posters on here? If so, what are some of your favorites?

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Welcome Ladybird!

MOM, about the Uniqlo mac, it's a bit longer in reality, with a removable lining.

Found this

picture on the Net. I know he's a 1979 revivalist, but he's got style. Very suedehead. That brings me to a question for the Originals. When did you start wearing tassel loafers? What brand? I think you mentioned Royals, but what other make, and when did they appear with DM sole? I know MOM post a pic of loafers, a few hundred pages ago, but it seems we didn't really explore this subject yet...

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks, Gsvs5. That's a really smart looking mac - length looks right to me and I like the colour too. Not sure if I'd get away with the Small, so it's a pity that seems to be the only size they have left. I'll have to keep an eye on it. I've still been looking since the helpful responses to my post (never able to make quick decisions). Coincidentally, I was about to put up the following specimens for comment when I saw your post. First one is from Private White VC - a Manchester company (not surprisingly given its weather, quite a few macs used to be manufactured there) with an interesting history on its website (it was actually founded by a Private White who won the Victoria Cross). This is described as light beige. It's probably a bit short and there seems to be a bit of a variation in the colour on the website. I'm also not sure about the buttons on the pockets. http://www.privatewhitevc.com/sb4-flyweight-beige.html Next one is by Crombie. Not really a back-in-the-day replica with its top pocket and tab on the collar. Also not sure about the length but it has something about it I think. Although it's described as beige the colour is pretty good to me. http://www.crombie.co.uk/mens/raincoats/beige-fly-front-raincoat-classic-fit.html Anyway, interested in views and comments from one and all.
That Crombie raincoat is terrible. It is more of a short overcoat style than something designed as a raincoat. I will also say that although I have a light coloured raincoat (Aquascutum), they can look a bit Victor Meldrew on older posters. Especially if you also wear a flat cap - which I do. http://www.virginmedia.com/images/victor-meldrew.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics