1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I had a quick look at the Levi 751 cords in Debenhams today,they had a white tag and they look like the ones that I remember,but thinner material think,also looked at the jeans and thought the same about the cut and material.
    I was just thinking that I never saw cords and a corduroy jacket worn together or cords and a denim jacket.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  2. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

Light blue and red were the only ones I recall.I had light blue POW.As for the cord /denim. Combo, cord jackets were long before cord jeans for us, and only worn with denim jeans.i am pretty sure I saw cord jeans with a denim jacket,but it was not a popular look as I remember things.

3. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

I know what you mean. Often, walking round Perth, I find I'm the most stylishly-dressed bloke, and that's not saying much!

4. con man

con man Senior member

People saying, they got upset by Dick Emery's Skinhead character and people putting photos of their putty cat on here, I'm begining to wonder if this is a Mod, through Skinhead to Suedehead thread or something entirely different.
    Next thing, people will say, his Gay character was offensive to them to.
    It was just done as light hearted.

I personally don't feel there is a market for a book, from what I've read on here, nothing new and that we don't already know as been said or written down before, so would anybody want to read what a bunch of 12 to 18 year olds did, between years 1968 and 1970. A photo book, might be good....but and sorry for raking up old stuff, there cant be that many photos out there, because as we all know, cameras were massive back then and they hadn't got the technology to make them small enough to be carried around, yet the Yanks put a man on the moon!!!
    We know about the clothes, the music, the most aggressive football fans, Chelsea had the biggest Skinhead following and they took every home end and every travelling set of away fans were the only team to ever take The Shed, we know it all started in London and that everyone from up North is/was scruffy, we know that everything that followed was a pale imitation of the Originals and should be dismissed at the drop of a hat, we know that the people that are into it now are just a re enactment society and that most of us are getting it wrong and are just crap imitation caricatures.

A better book, would be the stories of people, who have followed it through, some from the 60's and 70's and early 80's and have kept it alive through bands to organising and going to events and through Scootering and who, to coin a corny phrase, have Kept The Faith.

Sorry if my words are negative, no doubt it will upset one or two but hey, it is just said, as bit of banter!!!

5. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

Not negative just fucking boring.

1 person likes this.
  6. Basset

Basset Senior member

JTG strides are very slim fitting and tapererd, for some reason all the off the peg makers of sta prest, seem to make the cut of them for racing snakes, im afraid im packing to much in all the wrong areas these days for that cut of trouser

7. Inks

Inks Senior member

That's a pity, as I have chunky footie-player legs. I always end up getting stuff altered anyway, but I usually get larger, and tailor in to my dimensions. If the JTG strides are tight-as already, that's a bit of a p1sser.
    JTG had some interesting Tonics as well. Well, different to the ubiquitous green/gold, black/red that seem to be the only mixes outside of bespoke stuff. They don't seem to do the red/blue or the mid-blue/brown Tonic anymore. They were subtle and not too shiny looking either.

8. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

con man.....I said a long time ago that this thread should have been kept on the subject Mod to Suedehead ( 62 to 72 ? ).
    I would like to see 3 threads.
    1....This thread.
    2.A thread on moving the look forward to today.
    3.A re-enactors thread.
    I think that would please everyone, but I was told no everything has to go on this thread and people can choose what to read ,a bad thing IMO as it has diluted the thread.
    I am not going to comment about cameras,we went there before..
    As for the rest Dick Emery some of his stuff was funny,the gay bloke ( Clarence ) Mandy ( oh you are awful) and the vicar..
    Books,photo or non photo,its up to the individual if they want to buy it or not,80s and scootering are another subject anyway.
    Learnt nothing new ?...well I have from Minets to Ice hockey violence...A2 leather jackets....and this week regional variations in Levi sta prest.....and plenty more..not bad really.
    I have never bought into the scruffy Northerner thing and I said so a few pages back...and as for the London thing,well that's life...what did Oboe say in the Firm ?
    I don't think that your post is negative ( and if it hastens different threads its totally positive IMO ).

9. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

As you will recall, elwood, the basic concept shown in the cartoon is correct, the detail of the style slightly out. The Levi's, generally,were not that short, the boots would not have been cherry red Docs (at that time) and the beret not worn like Frank Spencer! They tended to be small (Ed mentioned hundreds of pages back that people would shrink them) and worn slightly to one side of the head (at a jaunty angle?!?)* As we all know, it's all in the detail! I can only remember black and green berets being worn , though the sky blue UN ones would have been excellent! Although I can see that this might seem a strange combination of clothes to have been put together, (as highlighted by our resident Dandy, Mr. K) somehow it worked. I suppose it was a little 'militaristic', a bit like if you see a well turned out Paratrooper or Royal Marine in battle dress - which, in some ways, it was.

Aerosol graffiti started to appear near us in 1969. "Crossley Skins" was sprayed on walls all over the Oldham area. They were the first skinhead mob in our area, 12 lads from the Crossley estate in Chadderton. So common was this that a woman wrote into the 'Oldham Chronicle' saying that having gone on holiday to London she was dismayed to find, far from getting away from this sight, she had seen it sprayed on a wall near Buckingham Palace!

Navy blue POW - now you are talking! That would be straight into my wardrobe if ever I could find it.

* It's been suggested that the black beret and black driving gloves were taken from the Black Power movement in the USA. (See Lee Evans et al - 1968 Olympic games)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  10. bunty

bunty Senior member

Little Queenie, you're wasted on here :)

11. Little Queenie

Little Queenie Senior member

You're such a card, Bunty!

12. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

We had some of these pics, but not all (?). Looks like we can see the evolution of the guy from mod/skin to suede/smooth.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  13. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I was thinking after I put my post up that it was cord jackets that were popular here first and cord jeans were a good while after,so that's the same.
    You mention about POW and Tonic being skinhead materials ( and I thought the same ) were there any other popular materials that you remember ?

14. con man

con man Senior member

HaHa!!! what a great retort, is that the best you can come up with,
    I could reply with a thousand piss take comments, but I wont lower myself to your level.
    But. I will say..... if what I say is boring, then we should hear more about you and your own self worth and ego and about what a Dandy you think you are and also lets talk about your cat, all relative and interesting to this thread, I'm sure

15. con man

con man Senior member

A much more intelligent reply to my comment, thank you Cerneabbas and all very valid points

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  16. Inks

Inks Senior member

Interesting to see the sideburn progression in these photos. What's the timeline on these snaps ?
    From pictures I've seen (forgive my ignorance I'm from the Class of 79) the Hard-Mods started with the sidies. On the older period Mod photos, I've only seen hair from the head grow down in the what be the sideburn area. Not sideburns proper as it were. By the time the 'Skinhead' label was in popular parlance, the 'burns had got full-on mutton-chop with some of the lads. To me, again I may have the wrong end of the stick here, what separates the Hard-Mod look, and what was later given the Skinhead tag, amongst other things, are the chops. Some early Mods must have had some sideburns going on, but I definitely see them as a predominately Skinhead/Suedehead preserve. Was it a throwback to the Ted style, or something to be more contemporary with the then growing fashion for facial hair ?
    I'm in my mid-40s, I still couldn't grow sideburns if my life depended on it. I've still got a half inch gap between where my hair stops, and my sidies would start. Plus, I sport a Mach3, shiny cue-ball of a head, so 'burns would look mental. Oh yeah, and my facial hair is ginge and patchy. (What's left on top of my head when I grow it is dark brown, so FKs what's going on there.)
    I've always been jealous of the sideburn guys.

17. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

18. con man

con man Senior member

Inks, as I'm from the same timescale as you, I cant put my two pence worth in and say they are a definate throwback to Teds or not, but I would assume they were grown as a contemporary thing of the day , I have always admired that look, from Victorian times to Teds, Rockers, Elvis, George Best and anyone else who sported them, not sure about the Mr Wilkes massive burns look though, I don't think they go to well with a shiny bonce, but each to his own, when I lose my hair completly, I will lose my burns, I dont want to look like Mr Pickwick

19. Basset

Basset Senior member

Just double bubbled on there website, as i thought they look very slim fitting with fifteen and a half bottoms.
    I may be wrong but i think Adam of London, makes some of there kit but gives them a slimmer cut, than the stuff he sells from his shop, his strides have sixteen and a half bottoms, so would probably be a better option, alas no sky blue sta prest thou, but i'd say a phone call might not be wasted.

Like yerself im forever getting stuff altered, whether it's new or second hand, i think at times i drive my seamstress up the wall at times, but a bit here and there can make all the difference on garments, to much one way and things can look like a sack, to much the other way and it's very much ' ello Jon, got a new mota '

20. Basset

Basset Senior member

I've always viewed burns as a general trend back then, a lot of different types seemed to sport them, footballers, grease, popstars, my old man, our dustman Malcom the ted had one hell of a set of chops.
    Usual disclaimer, im more than happy to be corrected