• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Basset

Reaction score
Basset.Yes thats right Chelsea at Eastville,first time i ever saw flight jackets.

Probably the same game i was at, i hightailed it out of the tote end when it kicked off and stood by a copper on the dog track, two opposing groups of big kiddies intent on destroying each other was not for me at that age

Sirryacus

Reaction score
Did you guys ever wear the military surplus formal dress trousers for when it got colder in winter? They are a slightly darker green than the jungle greens here in the U.S. (obviously no longer in use)and are usually made of a wool polyester blend.

On another note a local army surplus.

Last edited:

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Did you guys ever wear the military surplus formal dress trousers for when it got colder in winter? They are a slightly darker green than the jungle greens here in the U.S. (obviously no longer in use)and are usually made of a wool polyester blend. On another note a local army surplus.
If I live in the USA I would have a fcuking M4A1 Rifle, And maybe a M1 Tank in me driveway.:D

Sirryacus

Reaction score
That army surplus is on edge of the bad part of town but all the police in the area get their uniforms there, but the store has been there so long the neighborhood obviously was not bad at the time, they used to have 3 or 4 locations but that is the only one left now.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That army surplus is on edge of the bad part of town but all the police in the area get their uniforms there, but the store has been there so long the neighborhood obviously was not bad at the time, they used to have 3 or 4 locations but that is the only one left now.

Its funny you said that Sirryacus here in London we have Silvermans, Government and Army Surplus Store..he use to get the latest Army and Police kit before they went on general issue..so serving lads would get in his store getting the latest ally kit.
On a serious note..The British Army was so badly supplied by the MOD for kit going to War, Lads would have to buy their kit themselves, and Silvermans made a fortune , fcuking disgrace.

Last edited:

Sirryacus

Reaction score
Its funny you said that Sirryacus here in London we have Silvermans, Government and Army Surplus Store..he use to get the latest Army and Police kit before they went on general issue..so serving lads would get in his store getting the latest ally kit.
On a serious note..The British Army was so badly supplied by the MOD for kit going to War, Lads would have to buy their kit themselves, and Silvermans made a fortune , fcuking disgrace.
Yeah that is just wrong, another case of who you know I suppose, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't on purpose just to squeeze some money out of the troops and back in the governments pocket.

Here are some pictures of the trousers I was talking about not sure if you can make out too well from the single photo of the pants themselves but here they are and a pic of the tag.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah that is just wrong, another case of who you know I suppose, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't on purpose just to squeeze some money out of the troops and back in the governments pocket. Here are some pictures of the trousers I was talking about not sure if you can make out too well from the single photo of the pants themselves but here they are and a pic of the tag.
Sirryacus maybe they was winter parade dress issue ?? Its so funny how the American and British Army label kit with ie Trousers Mens or ..Jacket Mens Combat. instead of just plain Mens Trousers... always found naming kit so amusing...:)

Last edited:

Sirryacus

Reaction score
They are called the "Army Service Uniform" they served as a Formal Dress in case you had to go to a ceremony or funeral or other big speech where you had to look more conservative, I was just asking if you guys wore those kind of pants in the skinhead days when it got cold outside because they are obviously a lot warmer than cotton, I believe these ones are from the Vietnam era so it matches up.

Gsvs5

Reaction score

The best bit of kit ever to be taken from the Forces to the streets IMO.Lawrence Corner was always the place to get a mention in London.It was right near Euston station,but I think it is gone now.The M-A1 is a classic.I think this photo shows it off best.Nowadays it's being made in "slimmed down" versions and has been diluted and adapted by everyone it seems.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

.I remember a bit later Chelsea coming to Bristol and seeing loads of their lot wearing the green Alpha flight jackets,i had never seen them before and i was impressed,i went to London a couple of weeks after and bought one.

Yes, they've been mentioned too. There was a brief vogue for them somewhere around late 69 early 70 when a load became available at surplus shops.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Korean war button flies

or Vietnam issue with aluminium zip

Blimey! Where did you get hold of those, Buttons?

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am still addicted to Army Surplus shops.. cant walk past one,:) Always end up buying stuff that by the time i get home i realise what i have bought is of no use to anyone,:D,:D,:D

Me too. I can't pass Fergusson's in Perth, or the shop just up the street from the back entrance of Queen Street Station in Glasgow, without at the very least hanging about to look in the window.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If I live in the USA I would have a fcuking M4A1 Rifle, And maybe a M1 Tank in me driveway.:D

If I lived in the US I'd go for the AR-15 personally - and that's a hell of an admission for a leftie-pacifist ex-skinhead to make! :D :D

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Smells. That smell of new Levis from the 1960s is unforgettable, and just one of those things I'll never experience again. Same with the smell of my first Bukta Wolf Cub sweater! :D

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads