1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Good point.

Did I ever tell you of the time some acquaintances of mine - Charlton Athletic supporters - were bemoaning the fact that their team was considering moving "Ap Noawf".

I said, "You mean Milton Keynes? That's in the South Midlands."

"Yeah, weww, it's ap noawf from 'ere," they replied.

True, it is.

Not 'dismissed', just not referred to in my comment. There's a difference.

In fact the smartest blokes of our my generation I ever saw were in a night club in Blackpool in 1967. Suits in dark chocolate brown, with three-button, waisted jackets, centre vents, slant pockets; immaculate shirts with cufflinks; striped ties; loafers.

2. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I dont think that I agree with you on this occasion,the trench coats ( with belts,as you wear in your avatar...) are still available in the long length and also in a shorter "cropped" type,crombies are made in 2 lengths ? but the mac has been reduced by a few inches in length ( mostly ),I agree with elwood partly because I take into account using the car when I look at clothes ( I dont like car coats though ).

3. Little Queenie

Little Queenie Senior member

Worn all together as one outfit?

4. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

A group of blokes from Bristol no doubt !.
    BTW,I consider the North to start above Gloucester.

5. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Actually,what I was referring to,was your Statement about Skinheads never wore Suits(only Mods).Lasttye,on his own admission would say he was not a Mod only a Skinhead.I do not know about Manchester(in the 60s)but I am sure that there were plenty of Suits being worn.In a chapter of the Book dealing with the Twisted Wheel,a Guy was selling rolls of Mohair Material(out of the Van/Car)These were then made into Suits.We certainly did not have that in London,otherwise he would have been made a millionaire....:)

In reference to the last few days,it seems we are visiting very old ground again and again(including the North/South divide).If it has been noticed,not a lot of the original posters are coming on here at all-and that is a shame.

6. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

It depends of the brands. Some among the expensive ones still provide good length, but not the average ones IMO.

Quote:
    Very nice shoes Mr Knightley. Church's Burwood i guess? Lovely colour.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  7. Man-of-Mystery

Well-executed I would have said. 'Exquisite' is rather over-egging the pudding. They're also controversial, because they have given rise to general assumptions about what was and what was not worn back in the day. Not that the controversy has been unproductive in itself - it has brought up pieces of added information about local trends, etc.

Again, 'acceptable' only in their good, eye-catching graphic style, inasmuch I would trust the artist to come up with something to order. They are imaginative, and arguably more accurate than the first illustration by this artist that I had, though I wondered too about the bloke with the sheepskin - maybe he's from Norfolk, where they do say people have webbed hands and feet (Oh blimey, that's torn it!)

:D

8. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

My mum said that I was going to be a convict ! ( wrong...so far ).
    I agree that the thread has been a bit more lively lately.
    When did aerosol graffitti start to appear in your area ?,I know that it was vandalism but I was always looking out for it,later in the 70s I went by bus to SE London and saw the George Davis is innocent stuff everywhere.

9. Little Queenie

Little Queenie Senior member

Is there anyone else on this forum from Leicester? I don't think we can say the clothes depicted in the drawings are wrong, he was reproducing the look as seen by him in his area.

I think if there's one thing that we have learnt from this forum, it's that the look had many regional variations and that those variations can't be dismissed as being 'not Skinhead' simply because they were not acknowledged at part of the style by Skinheads in other areas.

10. Man-of-Mystery

City of my birth, by the way.

I got better.

;)

11. Man-of-Mystery

But the trouble is that they have been taken as showing somehow What All Skinheads Wore Everywhere.

12. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Thats true,it would be difficult to make drawings of all the different variations worn around the country in the same year..as in the two tone Levi sta prest,loads in Bristol unknown elsewhere.

13. Man-of-Mystery

Thinking again about this, are we sure that was his brief? Is it not more likely that the author gave him descriptions to work from, informed by what he (the author) had observed or heard of, North, South, or wherever? It seems unlikely to me that the book would have been intentionally full of illustrations of fashions only seen in Leicester.

14. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Senior member

That 'George Davis is Innocent' graffiti was also over East London. Just north of the Rotherhithe Tunnel it was on a railway iron bridge and a nearby wall. I think people were copying it everywhere in London.

15. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Senior member

It's true that the site repeats itself and often goes over old ground but sometimes out of that comes new stuff. The Bristol lads wearing Tonic Levi sta-prest is something I haven't heard of before.
    Many original posters have moved on. may be because they have said all they have to say but you never know what someone will think of next. I would like to see new posters add their bit even if it has been said before.I knew many skinheads in my area but don't know what happened to them.They are not on here. Where are the boys from Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds etc
    From the point of view of writing a book this would mean a lot of editing, of course.

16. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

Absolutely! In late 1969 that look was the epitome of skinhead style in and around Manchester. Ideally, however. the scarf would be tied 'muffler' style around the neck at football matches.

17. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

Quote:Merci, mais non Monsieur, they are the obscure John White 'Midhurst' purchased in about 1987 from a small shop in Covent Garden, Sam Walker. They have been refurbished at a place in Suffolk just once and still have the orginal laces! I happen to be wearing them today with POW trousers and blazer. Of course John White in those days was still a respected company from Rushden in Northamptonshire: http://www.northamptonshirebootandshoe.org.uk/content/category/rushden/introduction-rushden Those days are gone, but Rushden does still retain a small but thriving shoe industry.

18. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

Quote:Now you must be taking the piss, my good fellow! The word 'style' has no place there!!

19. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

20. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

Gsvs5 - I remember you posting that and you may recall my reply - it was something along the lines of - "I was only 15 in 1970, so was not going to pubs and clubs. Maybe some of the older lads were going into town dressed in suits but I was unaware of it". It is purely by coincidence that my son bought me the Twisted Wheel book for my birthday last week and I came across those two quotes. They seem to confirm my experience that, at the sort of places that people like us were likely to frequent, the more recognisable 'skinhead' clothes were more likely to be found during that period

Clearly, I can't speak for all people in every region at all times and merely offer my opinions based on my observations and experience at the time. I think that every one of us is guilty of the same thing - we all look back on what was a formative period in our lives and see it as we want to remember it and not actually as it always was. Thus we think that everyone we went about with or looked up to was a smart dresser/had great style/most up -to-date clothes/were the hardest lads/no wonder all the girls fancied us etc. etc. when in reality (and photographic evidence backs this up) some people were scruffy/clueless about style and some of them weren't particularly pleasant characters either!

1 person likes this.