1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I can imagine that the brown ones with a pair of jeans and brown Paraboot Michael would look good,if those jackets are looked after they will last for 30 years,maybe more ?.

2. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

When you say about "looking right" what about semi or half brogues ?I have mentioned them before,I would like to find a decent pair,I tried the Barker Perth on ,but the toe is to pointed IMO
    I think that there are a few versions by Allen Edmonds,they are mostly Oxfords in the British makes,and I have the idea that they would look good as a Derby / Blucher.
    I should have said congratulations and best wishes for your happy event....I agree about limiting tv and also being selective,my son picked up numbers from Sesame street,so its not totally bad.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  3. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

I have a pair of them Church's semi brogues; very, very nice shoes. Got a pair of Tricker's semi brogues as well. I much prefer the long wings but color depending, I'll throw on the semi-brogues. Those Church's are very nice with a shirt, tie, jacket, and wool trousers. The Tricker's are a little more casual. Got me a pair of brown Church's semi-brogue 8-eye boots with a commando sole some years back, I like them when there's snow on the ground as ya won't slip and fall walking the city streets.
    The Barker Perths look very nice, though I dunno if I could get away with the usual ones.... that being said, some seem a bit chunkier than others. Maybe the older ones? Check out this pair that seems a bit more "substantial" than the usual ones: http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Barker-Perth...Z4/$T2eC16FHJGgFFm6PEV9bBSVdZ3VT5!~~60_12.JPG
    Got a pair of Allen Edmonds MacNeil's, which are very similar to the '70s Florsheim Imperials in shape and fit(though a little narrower). They make a good frigging shoe!

Oh, thanks for that-- the baby's due 1 Feb. Of course selectivity with the TV, I grew up with Sesame Street, too! [​IMG]... though that was probably the only program I was allowed to watch aside from NHL and the Incredible Hulk!

4. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

It's even more far-and-away here. Unless you're wearing the '80s Boston skinhead uniform(MA-1, band shirt, faded jeans, docs or Adidas Samba, #1 cut), nobody knows. Typically, even if I have a harrington, button-down, jeans and boots, nobody says anything.
    Oddly enough though, I was on a bar crawl for a buddy's 40th and we were at some awful tourist trap bar(the Green Dragon) in Faneiul Hall. I'm wearing a striped yellow OCBD, olive green Baracuta, Levis, and tan Allen Edmonds long wings, short back and sides, side part; and my buddies with shaved heads, replica jerseys, boots, etc. .. Middle-aged Irish barmaid serving us says, "this may seem an odd question, but are you, or were you skinheads? I could tell by the shirts, the harrington, etc." Turns out she ran with the crowd in Dublin that used the Fox, says they drank there and had ska/soul nights there late '70s-early '80s? I've been to Dublin many times but don't know the place. She'd asked us if our "scooters were parked 'round the corner"[​IMG] No scooters for us, we sez.

5. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Funny that you should mention the MA 1,etc...today I was driving through Somerset ( vey rural) and on a bus stop there was a bloke with a shaved head,green MA 1,British army dpm camo trousers and red Doc Marten boots....that's a rarer sight that than some of the wildlife we saw today !
    Those Barker Perth in that picture are what I would like ( in brown ),the ones that I tried on in John Lewis were more "pointy" and more of a fashion shoe,I will have to do some investigating....this weather I am wearing my Loake Kemptons or Bedales...its definitely boot weather !

6. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

My younger and older Sisters went and saw Hendrix "Live".I was going to see him,but unfortunately the Club got closed down.I liked Hendrix,his Pedigree said a lot about the Man.

7. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Been thinking about the slang,I suppose that a lot of words were different according to areas,down here an alternative to Hippy was Squatter or Jitter,that horrible smelly perfume that they used we called Jitter Juice..
    Girls could be Stacked ( busty ) or Well Stacked ( very busty....this was unusual,well we were at school ).
    Although Pig is remembered as a Hippy name for the police,we used it too as in Eastville pet society,horses,dogs and pigs..

8. Inks

Inks Senior member

Jitter Juice. Would that be patchouli oil ? Nothing sums up the stench of a Hippy more than that stuff. It's funny how all the people in that individualistic 'counter-culture' all had the same homogenous whiff about them.
    I think 'Pig' as a term for Police originated with the African-American community long before the Hippies appropriated it. Round my way the Police were 'The Filth'. I don't know where that term originates, but it does have a real Cockney feel about it.
    As I remember it, in the late '70s/ early '80s, the worst coppers were the uniformed ones that had beards. You don't get coppers with beards anymore, but the ones with beards, when I were a lad, seemed to be sadistic bully-boys.

9. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Yes,Patchouli oil,I hated it,if one of them got on a bus it stunk the whole bus out in a minute,luckily it seems to have disappeared because it makes me feel sick.
    I read once that calling the police pigs goes back to Victorian times,the filth was also used here but a bit later I think.
    Bearded coppers,I had a theory that they all grew them so that they wouldn't get picked out for brutality,imagine trying to pick one out in an identity parade of other bearded coppers ? ( not that it would have happened ),the beards were about the same time as Ian Botham had one I think.

10. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

You could do worse.

11. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Senior member

I have the same BB mac as you and it is a beauty.
    I have a pair of olive cords from Brook Taverner and they are also of good quality. I am in the market for another pair of cords and I think on your recommendation I will get myself down to M&S and buy a pair of Blue Harbour. I have always avoided that brand but anyhow I will give them a go. Last week I spent several hours looking for cords in a shopping centre and TKMaxx and all that was on offer were skinny, low waisted rubbish.

12. Bob the Badger

In the early 70s we used to shop around the South Kensington and Kings Road areas and the smell of patchouli oil was everywhere. The oil seemed to go hand in hand with joss sticks.
    Some of my work mates (some young professionals) were living in squats in the mid 70s. Near Mile End was a whole street of squats, in the old derelict terraced houses, and they had some great street parties. I don't remember many hippies but certainly young professionals who couldn't afford housing and alternative types.
    We also used the term 'filth' but I think that was handed down to us. The term 'pig' for police was considered hippy by us so we didn't use it.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  13. Bob the Badger

Spot on. Good post. There was a TV programme on hairstyles the other week. For the period covering 68-75 it was all long hair for the men. Skinheads and short hair did not get a mention. If I didn't have the old school photos (and this site) I would begin to start to think that my memory was playing tricks and I was making it all up.

14. Lerk

Lerk Well-Known Member

Works pretty reasonable with the rest of my stuff. On my way to city council.
    [​IMG]

15. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

Likewise.
    "Rozzers" and "The Fuzz" we're terms used in my neck of the woods.

16. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Guess so. 1940's pic
    [​IMG]
    "1940 : la tenue typique du pilote de bombardier. Veste peau de mouton, imaginée dans les années 20 par Leslie Leroy Irvin pour rester au chaud en altitude." 1940: the typic flight jacket of the bomber pilot. Sheepskin jacket, imagined in the 20s by Leslie Leroy Irvin to stay warm in altitude.
    http://www.flying-jacket.com/about-irvin.aspx Have a look at their jackets too.

Patton in classic B-3 flying jacket
    [​IMG]

17. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

I remember my first visit to Biba,being dragged around by my Sister.I felt like an Alien in my Crombie.i did like what I saw though,and quite liked the smell of Patch.

18. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

I've just found this in an old file, originally written for the Royton Rag about a dozen years ago - might jog a few memories.......

Blackpool
    It was a tradition in the 60’s and very early 70’s to get to a seaside resort on Bank Holiday Monday. This was probably a throwback to the Mods ‘n’ Rockers era of the early to mid 60’s when hundreds of teenagers would descend on seaside towns to do battle. For us the obvious choice was Blackpool and so it was that the ‘in crowd‘ of Royton arranged to go on Easter Monday 1972. ‘Everyone’ was going to be there and a meeting place of the ‘Manchester’ pub was agreed, at 12 noon. People made their own travel arrangements, most by coach, some by scooter, Mick Gazey and I chose to go by train. I still can’t think why we decided to do this if nearly everyone else was going by coach, but we duly made our way by bus to Victoria Station (Manchester), then train to Blackpool. There were 3 of us, Mick Gazey, Paul Abbott and myself.. We met up with a bunch of Middleton lads on the train and had a laugh with them. When we arrived it was a bit odd to be met by a cordon of police demanding to know who we supported – they thought it odd too to be told “City” and “United”, obviously not what they expected. (What we didn’t know was that Blackpool were at home to Middlesborough that day and they were expecting a large contingent from the North East – more of that later)

Then it was onto the prom, then the beach, which was pretty quiet, it being still quite early. There we indulged in the obligatory practice of making our mark in the sand “M.C.F.C.”, “Royton Rule”, “M.U.F.C. O.K “ etc. etc. It was not long before we were being tracked by a growing gang of youths up on the promenade, we were just starting to get a little concerned about this when they suddenly shot off, full pelt, down the prom. We, being of an inquisitive nature, legged it off the beach to see where they had gone. They had been local lads and were now being pursued by a train load of ‘Boro supporters, all decked out in Denims and Doc Martens. This was hugely entertaining for us as:

{C}a) The hunters had become the hunted (luckily for us!)
    {C}b) The Boro fans were all dressed much as we had done 18 months earlier (archetypal skinhead gear) but some of them where carrying rolled umbrellas!
    For a few weeks, some 6-8 months earlier, it had been quite trendy to carry a brolly – it went with the ‘look’ at that time – Crombie over coat, sharp, pressed parallel trousers. But denims and brolly? – talk about mixing your fashion statements!!!!
    (Hey, these things are important when you are 16 or 17!) We, on the other hand were wearing long sleeved ‘v’ neck pull-overs over Fred Perrys, Parallel Trousers and ‘Royals’ (long-wing brogues)

So it was down to the ‘Manchester’ to meet up with the Lads ‘n’ Lasses of Royton. Here we split up with the Middleton crew and caught up on the day’s craic so far. We had our story, but far from the Boro fans presence being applauded, it turned out they had had a run in with our lot. Dinky Mellor had tripped during the melee and made the close acquaintance of Dr. Martens’ finest, courtesy of the ‘Boro boys. Revenge was in the air and we were soon on the street looking for Middlesbrough fans, teamed up with some Brummies who had met a similar fate. It was not long before another running skirmish was under way, resulting in us all getting split up when the police arrived (ever seen Quadrophenia?) . I ended up heading towards the North Shore with a lad I hardly knew, not really knowing what to do. Well, this was Blackpool and I had never been up the tower, so that’s where we went. It was a bright, clear, spring day so the view was great. The added bonus was that we could see what (and who) was going on up and down the sea front and after seeing a group we recognised as some of the Roytoners making their way towards the South Shore we decided the Pleasurebeach was the place to be. Once down on the fun fair it was not difficult to locate about 30 lads and girls from Royton. We must have gone on some of the rides, but my memory is of simply hanging around, chatting, swapping stories of the day. Some of the group were in couples, some small knots of lads or girls within the main ‘gang’ with some clearly having had ‘a little more than usual’ to drink. I was re-united with Mick and Paul and as the light faded our thoughts turned to the train for home. The journey back was pretty uneventful, but once at Victoria station we decided to get the train back to Oldham Mumps, rather than the bus to Royton. On the station we met a couple of Oldham girls who had been to Rhyl for the day. One of them caught the train with us back to Oldham. I don’t know if we were skint, were in a hurry for the train or what, but for whatever reason we ended up on the train without tickets. The Oldham girl, who had short, blond hair and rejoiced in the name of ‘Manbeater!’ (in recognition of her willingness to fight with the lads - I remember she was a Latics fan) got off at Wernerth so I cadged her ticket. At Mumps we were queueing up by the barrier when Paul suddenly pushed past the ticket collector and ran off towards the exit. Quick as a flash Mick Gazey shot after him calling “Hey, come back!” The railwayman called “Catch him, lad!” and looked at me with that ’Kids these days’ look on his face. I duly raised my eyebrows and shook my head as if in agreement (after all, I didn’t want him inspecting my ticket too closely!) I would like to claim that we had concocted this ploy on the train, so sweetly did it work, but in truth it just happened!
    We can’t have been skint because we called in ‘The Candlelight Club’ which had Mondays as Soul Night in those days. We met up with my schoolmate, Herbie and his Crete Street mates and recounted the whole day’s events, as we would do numerous times in the following week. I can quite clearly picture one of the girls with them dancing to ‘Rocksteady’ by Aretha Franklin, which was one of those records that had its own dance. Isn’t it strange, some of the things you remember?

I don’t know if this tradition continues these days but it certainly lasted for a while. Years after I had left Royton I was in Blackpool over the Easter period and was walking along the crowded Golden Mile, when I heard a voice say “He’s from Royton” I turned to see who had spoken, to hear “Oi, Royton Boy!”* being shouted from a lad, now some 8 or 10 yards away in the crowd, travelling in the opposite direction with some of his mates. (I think he was known as Hughsie or possibly Huggis – another former Royton Skin who had been in the year below me at school)

{C}· He really did shout “Oi, Royton Boy!” and that’s where my on- line pseudonym comes from.

19. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Great post Roytonboy. i was just thinking of Quadrophenia when you mentioned it. Like if i was in the movie reading your post. Never been to Blackpool i must say, but i just saw pictures on line and realized they've got some sort of Eiffel tower there. Would feel at home i guess... For the next footbal fans encounter, waiting for England-France next summer in Brasil...[​IMG]

20. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

roytonboy....A(nother) great post from you,3 things that stood out for me.
    1.That feeling when its gone off and the police have split you all up,now your all alone in a "foreign" town ( help ) and you want to find your mates before you find the other mob.
    2.The lack of "polish" from the the Boro lot,brollys and denims....come on.
    3.Manbeater !...how many birds like that were there in the Northwest ?,I wonder what became of her,maybe she kicks off down the bingo these days...