• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Me in Blazer at UTJ .. Remembrance weekend.

Last edited:

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Red socks were just a fad - probably lasted less than 12 months (1971-72)

It started with White, Red then every colour you could think of... we use to get in the Squire shop buying those loop stitch towelling ones, they would be rolled up on display ...Orange was a popular colour....I wore Pink for a while after seeing a Burnt Oak Bloke wearing them.

Sirryacus

Reaction score
They were a skinhead fad or a teddy boy fad? I thought you were implying you didn't wear red long because that is what teddy boys wore and then I commented that I would have thought they would wear plain colors such as black or white but you are saying that isn't the case at all and teddy boys wore colorful socks?

Gsvs5

Reaction score

Red socks were just a fad - probably lasted less than 12 months (1971-72)

Thankfully one that I never chose to adopt!
It's been m&S navy or charcoal lambs wool for over 50 years(with a brief interlude to Argyle and cream cashmere on needed occasions).must admit to almost going with some lurex flecked horrors a la David Essex at a later 70's point but refrained thankfully!

Last edited:

Gramps

Reaction score
Until reading on here, I would have always thought of that as a Suit Jacket Roy.
Always think of a Blazer as having Patch Pockets.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Until reading on here, I would have always thought of that as a Suit Jacket Roy.

I have always had a Blazer in my wardrobe versatile bit of kit..often worn at Army Doos

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For those of you not resident in the UK ...... The red rose is the symbol of Lancashire (Manchester, Liverpool, Lancaster and hundreds of places of which you have never heard) the white rose is the symbol of Yorkshire (Leeds, Sheffield, York and a thousand places of which you will never have heard - the largest county in England). The two counties straddle the north of England and share a common border. There was once a little unpleasantness between the two, culminating with the death of Richard III at the battle of Bosworth Field - "A horse, a horse, my kingdom for a horse....." There still exists a friendly and sporting rivalry between the two counties - 'friendly' that is until Leeds United play either of the Manchester clubs! Any sporting competition between the two counties is referred to as "a roses match". Although the symbol of England is often mistakenly portrayed as a red rose, it is in fact (or should be) a Tudor Rose which is an amalgamation of a red and a white rose which was introduced by Henry Tudor (a Welshman!) who brought to an end the Wars of the Roses when he became King Henry VII. Here endeth the lesson......
Thank-you for that.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trying to get a decent 3 Button Blazer(OTP)is really hard to get these days.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting History about Pembroke Castle-where Henry Tudor was born.:)

McDermott

Reaction score
Great blazer Roy.

Have to meet a new tailor soon, on the agenda first will be a few pair of tonic strides, then some suits but i fancy a Bespoke blazer too. Its on the 'list', along with a million other things.

Regards to socks...These are the best for Value and colour ive found. Ive had alot of brands, Panthella's are maybe my fav 'upmarket' sock but the trouble is they are usually so fine that holes quickly appear etc. These are just the right mix between thick enough to take a battering but thin enough to be comfy and dressy. Colours are great too.
http://www.uniqlo.com/uk/store/goods/071183

Like uniqlo alot, wish they had more stores they would be very successful in the North of england. The knitwear they do is top notch too for the price, ive had a really nice shawl collared jumper and a couple of Fair isle tanktops of them in the last year that were excellent.

Edit : As i speak i just bought this tshirt from them for a tenner. Not strictly skinhead wear of course, But a real 70s style, similar to the ones Levis vintage were knocking out for 60 quid or whatever a while ago. Do nicely for holiday.

Last edited:

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

iN THE 50S AND 60S,Blazers had Patch Pockets(or the ones I saw).I had one with Patch Pockets..It is only recently (maybe a few years)that some Jackets have been called Blazers(and some added Silver or Gold Buttons).Put "Blazers" up on ebay and you will see what I mean.That is why I said,it is very hard to buy a 3 Button Blazer-similar to what I bought before.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads