1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

:D They still do !!!!

2. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

I recall wearing a pair of Levi cords, sand-coloured, with a pair of brown Gibsons and a pea-ish/sage-ish green Harrington. Not as ghastly as it sounds.

I think desert boots look better with blue denim.

3. Man-of-Mystery

I flirted with it very briefly, but by the time I got to college where there were a lot of hippy-trippy types, my opinion was that they needed an intravenous shot of reality, which is why I got into radical politics instead believe it or not. They were nice enough people, but when I think just how much of a middle-class pond in a working-class area my old college was, it was no wonder I did about 90% of my going out to enjoy myself outside it.

There were no more than about a dozen working-class and lower-middle-class (as I counted myself) mod/totter/skinhead types there. I can remember one West Indian guy there saying "We minorities need to stick together", by which he meant blacks and skinheads in the college.

4. Man-of-Mystery

To be fair, I listened to Hendrix. I don't think people (hippies) realised how bluesy and funky he was, just how flippin' black he was! I mean he had made his living playing with the Isley Brothers and acts like that.

Actually I saw him on the same bill with Englebert Humperdink. Englebert spent the first third of his set crooning his hit ballads, then took of his jacket and started to sing stuff like 'Land of 1000 Dances' and other upbeat soul stuff. I heard more recently that he and Hendrix really hit it off, and Jimi was playing rhythm guitar off-stage during Hump's set, but that might be an urban myth.

5. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

Yessir. Either that or a Smedly/F. Perry/similar polo and 'boat shoes'(as we always called them) or moccasins. Maybe with a tattersall button-down, but not usually with, say, a checked shirt. I've been trying to attach images but the page keeps crashing on me for some reason. I'm sure you get what I'm saying though. I have a pair of Paraboot ones and this style of Quoddy:

[​IMG]

I hear you about the heat. Boston has the complete range of extreme temperatures. Moccs and loafers are great to wear with the 'invisible' socks or sock-less, and some crisp chinos and a polo shirt... and you still look well-put-together and not like an overgrown 5-year-old child when it's hot as f00k.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  6. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

Occupy Wall St and other anti capitalist demos seem to attract more attention than any War these days.Total apathy.

7. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

Because it was meant as a smokescreen for the dodgy crap going on in our gov't.
    People are clueless here. You have those who follow MSNBC as Gospel, and then the FOXNews followers. They, respectively, swallow it whole and think of it as news and not the opinion-on-news that it really is... as long as it doesn't interrupt their Trueblood episodes or whatever...

Sorry, rant over.

Wearing tassel loafers with cords today(they're darker than the pic shows); I like the look. Not strictly "skinhead" due to my wearing a green 'shaggy dog' shetland over the pale green oxford button-down... "Hard Ivy" maybe? [​IMG] Colder than a witch's t*t here.

[​IMG]

8. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I am thinking of something similar,brown Paraboot Michael, and looking out for a brown or khaki Harrington or maybe a sheepskin ( after saying for years that I wouldn't have another one ).

9. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I agree with you that all the "news" on tv,in fact most tv programmes seem to have an agenda,they either report the facts in a "slanted" way or just tell lies ( IMO )...I haven't had a tv for 7 or 8 years now ( I really don't miss it ) when I mention this to people its funny to see their reaction ( oh oh hes a nutcase ).
    The stitching around the front of those loafers reminds me of the "bovver moccs" that we mentioned before,I like the look of fringed shoes but I worry about them curling so I always back off of buying them.
    As you say about the extremes of weather,we don't get it so bad but its the humidity in the summer and the damp winters that are the problem here,today it rained and with the wind it felt really cold ( temperature wise it wasn't that cold ),what to wear and look smart in that weather ? a raincoat would be ok,but it would need a good thick lining for warmth.
    BTW,Which cords do you buy?,at the moment there are Levi,Wrangler and Lee in the shops here,but not too many colours.

10. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

Yeah I come from a bit of an "eccentric" family, and agree with you on the television. I use mine to watch sports, weather, "news"(though more and more going to independent internet news sources), and the occasional film.
    My granduncle and grandaunt got rid of their TV in the '60s. My cousins(1st, 1x removed) are all incredibly bright, learned, and have the attention spans of an elephant, and all play various musical instruments and speak multiple tongues. My wife and I are expecting and plan on seriously rationing the boy's TV viewing to a bare minimum.

These mocks are Loake Brightons. I really dig 'em. The tassels look removable so I'd guess they could be 1.replaced or 2.fiddled with to straighten them. I've had them for a little while and the tassels haven't curled yet. Fingiz crossed!

Well for the cold, wet weather, aside from my MA-1 that I've waterproofed(yeah, I wear an MA-1, what of it?[​IMG][​IMG]), and various waterproof coats(my wife wants to kill me!), I have a nice Brooks Brothers stone<light tan mac with a woolen removable lining that does the job http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Singl...l?dwvar_082L_Color=TAN&contentpos=5&cgid=0222 , plus a nice navy Mackintosh mac, also with removable woolen lining. Combined with a collared shirt, lambswool v-neck or cardigan, and a scarf of silk or wool, you're golden. It can occasionally get down to -25˚C here in the winter that that ensemble does the trick, usually with a flat/scally cap or brollie if necessary.

With the cords it's a variety-- Mostly M&S Blue Harbour if I'm honest[​IMG] , Old Navy, a pair of One True Saxon(from a good 6-7 years back when they were still in the Lace Market in Nottingham and didn't go much south of the Watford Gap), and I have a pair or two of Engineered Garments Workaday cords which are nice.

The problem in the States at the moment is that the cords in the shops are 90% skinny, super-skinny, etc., or old man wide wale cords. I dig a nice straight-leg, 8" or so hem. M&S Blue Harbour really do the trick, I've gotta say.

11. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Sheepskins...I was down in Somerset today and I went into a shop called 4 seasons,its in Street....they part exchange,old sheepskins and leather jackets / coats for new ones,they then sell the used coats.
    There were loads of styles / lengths / colours and the prices varied...they had not been cleaned but they were all in nice condition ( obviously they don't take any old crap in part exchange )
    I have also been looking on e bay and as Lerk found there are bargains to be found ( a lot don't get bids,lets face it not many people seem to want them ),in fact I looked at one from 1968 that they said hadn't been worn for over 25 years....
    IMO,this is one "original" style that its possible to get quite cheap,cleaning is expensive,but after saying that I wouldn't have another one I am tempted.

12. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

Found me one on the Bay of despair(U.S. 'bay) a few months ago for short money and aside from having leather covered buttons(not the football kind, but matching), it ticked all the important boxes for me. Well, aside from the length being a couple inches shorter than the more desired longer ones, but it's a beautiful coat and the lapels ain't ridiculous. I'll get a pic up later on.

13. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Funny thing is all fashions seem to come back eventually,and the people who are selling sheepskins off cheap will be moaning when they become popular again " I sold a lovely one for £25 a year ago,people are paying £700 for a new one now,should have kept it blah blah ".
    The other jacket that they had a few used ones today were the sheepskin lined flying jackets,not my cup of tea but a heavy warm jacket maybe a bit too "Rocker" though.

14. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

Yeah, I couldn't pull off wearing one of those! I like the A-2's and have a nice brown Eastman Leather one. As said before, not very "skinhead", but a classy garment.

15. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Quote:
    Cords: I wear the trousers, don't like the jean cut version. I've got some made by Façonnable. A nice fit. Very good looking with Paraboots Michael or my Paraboots summer loafers (Alas, now semi-retired).

16. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I think that if your into "moving the look on ",its about whether the item fits with the rest of the style,I know that's not a popular view with a lot of people...A-2 very smart IMO.

17. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

Yeah I pretty much subscribe to that, to SOME extent. Most of my buddies don't 'dress the part' anymore, or if they do it's toned down, a la "boots-jeans-flight jacket-maybe a Fred Perry" at best, which is fine. There's still that sense of one-upmanship that we had as teens and 20's but for most of our old crew it's either completely given up on and they dress like toddlers or the above-mentioned 'toned-down' look.
    I keep it pretty well-dressed with the basic 'skinhead staples' but with other things in the mix that "look right" with them. Today, even if I wear what could look like something worn by Originals[​IMG], my ex-skinhead wife wouldn't even think I'm dressed like a skinhead-- I just dress well, but as a skinhead would dress well... if that makes any sense. Not the boots/jeans/buttondown, but maybe more like a suedehead???

That A-2 is a great, high-quality leather jacket and works well with a lot of 'the look'.

18. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

The jackets are good for motorcycling on a dry day,so rocker/bikers definitely wore them "back in the day" ( is there 1 in the Weston picture ? ),but in the late 70s and 80s I have seen scooterists wear them...was there a French version of that jacket or did they wear American ones ?.

19. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

No, they used to wear the American version. We called them "Bombardier". I remember they were very expensive.

20. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

You can wear some "original" items here and virtually nobody would recognise them,Monkey boots,I have worn them for years and in all that time only 2 blokes have said "Monkey boots,where did you get them from ?".
    I think that you could go out here and wear Brogues,POW trousers,a John Smedley and a Crombie...and 99.9% of people would not think skinhead ( unless you had a number 1, I suppose ).