1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Yes he looked a pillock in the 60s as well...:)

2. Inks

Inks Senior member

I know a West Indian gentleman in his 50s that still rocks a safari jacket. He looks pretty damn dapper. I'd look like the villain in an episode of Daktari if I was to wear one though.

1 person likes this.
  3. Inks

Inks Senior member

This has bound to have been brought up before, so apologies all-round.
    Skinhead cigarettes.
    As I remember it, in my enclave of W.London; Rothmans for the gents, Player's No6 for the ladies.(Because 60s Mods smoked them, and they were girlie-ponces compared to Skins)
    Rothmans packs were torn apart, and symbolism was attributed to certain marks printed in the folds (Number of bullets apparently sent to Rhodesia etc.) Very much like the 'colour of laces in DMs symbolism crap'
    I later found out these were nothing more than printers registration marks (Being a retired ex-printer and all)
    Were there certain brands of cigarettes in certain areas that were 'Skin' cigarettes ? I only mention this because everyone (blokes) round my way seemed to smoke the same brand of cigs and stuck to them. Anything else was sacrilege.

4. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Never smoked and to be truthful maybe only one of my Mates did(I think it was Rothmans).We used to help with the supply chain-sometimes.

5. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

At 1:12, there is a "Minette" with exactly the type of Tartan skirt you describe (knee length), loafers, and white tights that were in fashion at the time :

http://www.ina.fr/video/CPF86651461

I just hope you can see this video out of France. It's an extract of a 60s TV show that follows a young "Minet" called Alain. Interesting until 2:00 where we meet Alain's parents who complain about his style, and the fact that their son "don't want to buy any suits but is looking for special brands"...

6. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Clouseau..Good find ! I like the look of the Minette,I thought that the guy looked a bit like a young version of Paul Weller ?
    BTW,you have mentioned J M Weston a few times,I notice that there is a pair of their brogues on e bay.de I think that they are quite possibly the best looking brogues that I have ever seen.

7. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

That is it Clouseau exactly how I remember them.Also the Cable Stitch Jumpers-in more Colours than was available here.Later that changed,but I saw them first on the French Students.Very smart!!!

8. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Clouseau,this is really opening up the memory banks.I had totally forgotten about meeting and enjoying the company(though not romantically)of two French Girls,who came over in `69.A Mate and myself met them a couple of times and we talked about a range of subjects-from living in Paris(which they both did)to the Left Bank Riots of `68.This was the first time we talked Politics with anyone.We also were given an insight on how young French Girls behaved,We were able to do this,as there were many Restaurants where we could have Coffee etc-without any Mates coming around and taking the piss. Good times....:)

9. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Extract from La bande du drugstore. I have to say, bloody killer dialogue! "Des amateurs!" :nodding: Pretty good soundtrack too if it features Cream and Wilson Pickett.

10. Man-of-Mystery

I think I've said this before, but you could also feel the tension in the air, certainly at the Savoy Rooms, which is where I called a French lad out. Totally confusing situation - my bird was flirting with him - and the poor lad didn't know what was going on, so it all fizzled out.

On other occasions, because I could make myself understood in French I was often called on to defuse situations. On one occasion a French lad wanted me to translate a mouthful of cheek to a local skinhead. I offered him the opportunity to change his mind, and he did, which was a smart move.

11. Man-of-Mystery

They seemed to have a policy of only sending a sizeable crew of away supporters to places where they weren't going to run across hard nuts in the home supporters! :D

Thus, few came to Bristol, more came to Oxford. Once when I went to see Blackpool away at Millwall (I wanted to see Steve Harrison play), I think I was the only person at the Den who was even remotely connected with Blackpool!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  12. Man-of-Mystery

Similar objections raised by my parents, particularly my mother.

BTW, theme music of the clip: Jungle Fever by the Tornados. The incidental music was Grown Up Wrong by the Rolling Stones.

13. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

No French Students came to the Plaza.If they had tried,I think the Doormen would have adyised them otherwise.

14. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Haircut everything...:)

15. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Browniecj, MoM, happy if it brought back good memories. This is an extract of Jean Rouch's "Les veuves de quinze ans", a short film. Shot between 1962 and 1963, released in 1964, and there is a lot of originals from the Drugstore in it...
    In the beginning there is a French band not very good, but it' s interesting after a while...
    At 0:50 the location is the Drugstore. The discussion is about sports cars and Italian style jacket. The next and last location is "Le relais de Chaillot", the Minets favorite dance club.

I like the dialogue in the beginning, just before the band plays at the Golf Drouot :

(Boy) Les Yé-Yés, c'est tous des cons. (Yé-Yés are all assh...)
    (Girl) Pourquoi tu viens alors ? (So why are you coming ?)
    (Boy) Parce qu'on a rien d'autre à foutre ! (because there is no fuc..in else to do !)

(Yé-Yés were the french musicians and rockers of the sixties)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  16. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

M-o-M..Perhaps a bit harsh on the Blackpool supporters,I expect that they did take better numbers to games up north.
    As I said it was a nasty trip Bristol/Blackpool then,I think that the M6 was only 2 lanes for a good distance,we had more incentive to visit Blackpool than they did to come here...I remember one time we went in a transit van to Blackburn,all sat on bits of cardboard in the back..after the game we went to Blackpool for the night and then drove home,about 26 hours ( we must have been mad)...my longest jouney ( again in the back of a van ) was Carlisle.
    When you say that you were the only Blackpool bloke at Millwall,I bet there were many clubs who took 1 less fan there !

17. ian-b

ian-b Member

You-tube video of Skinhead girls dancing at a Desmond Decker gig.

Was this typical of the look girls had at the time?

18. Ubuntu

Ubuntu Member

I got a pair of black Sta-Prest trousers last week and I'm in the process of breaking in some black 8i 1460 Docs. Incidentally, I wore my Sta-Prest with my Docs for work today and felt like I owned the place (I work in retail and have a uniform policy of white shirt, black tie, black trousers, black shoes so I'm doing my best to incorporate some style into my uniform).

But now, I'm looking to expand and I was wondering what colour trousers you guys on here wear before I buy more pairs. I was thinking about a grey pair and a navy pair. I am also intrigued by a dogtooth pair. Thoughts on these colours/patterns for Sta-Prests and which colours are the best?

19. Man-of-Mystery

'cons' = 'a55h0les'? You just failed an anatomy exam! :D