Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

There were a lot of Millwall supporters at the Savoy Rooms on Sunday evenings, and I can remember that would yell "MILLWALL!" at the appropriate place in the record.

2. Man-of-Mystery

Roy, I can't remember whether I asked you this before, but were you there in the Shed when Man Utd were visitors, on the occasion of Bobby Charlton's last away match? Well I was there too, in the Shed with the Chelsea fans - it was a game I just couldn't miss. I can remember that when the teams were warming up before the game began, the whole population of the Shed set up a long chant for Bobby Charlton. They were good sports!

3. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Not sure if i was Paul..Bobby Charlton being a England World Cup winner was revered by all. I do remember George Best one game in the mud....skipping through the Chelsea defence.....socks down his ankles no shin pads ...Legend.

4. elwood

elwood Senior member

Alva Lewis, who played guitar on The Liquidator, died in February. Obituary in Telegraph last week http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obi...ries/music-obituaries/9972648/Alva-Lewis.html.

5. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

10 min 41 sec .. this was my second ever game at the Bridge.

6. albion

albion Well-Known Member

@11:18 legendary comb over.

7. Man-of-Mystery

Absolutely! There's a clip of him on YouTube, playing for the San Jose Earthquakes, dribbling past five defenders to score.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  8. Man-of-Mystery

That was the game. There were about five of my mates (Crystal Palace fans, as far as I remember) with me in the Shed, in amongst the Chelsea lads. The Shed guys didn't mind, because we were there for a historic occasion.

9. Man-of-Mystery

4:00 I am sure I remember Osgood's kneeling gesture. Was that at the Shed end?

A poignant moment when Charlton walked off.

Apart from the adverts for Levis round the ground, I noticed that no one put his hand up to claim a throw-in that wasn't his, and no one greeted a referee's decision with "Aw fcuking hell, ref!"

Good grief, Micky Droy was a big bloke!

10. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Bygone days when one of our - United's - chants was the extremely profound classic: 'Osgood - no good.' Osgood - no good!'

:embar: :nodding:

11. Pressure_Drop

Pressure_Drop Senior member

Some of you might be interested in my mate Phil Peacock's recollection of getting his head shaved for the first time (taken from Booted & Suited http://www.amazon.co.uk/Booted-Suited-Chris-Brown/dp/1844547469)

Phil, if not remembering who or where he saw the first skinheads, recalled the momentous day when he decided to have all his hair shaved off, which wasn’t as common as you might think in the late Sixties...

‘As for the first [skinhead] in Bristol – I remember the mods with their stylish hair and the primping. I think the scooter riders were some of the first to start chopping the hair ever shorter as it wouldn’t get in their eyes while riding, since helmets were not required. They were carried more as a weapon than to protect your noggin. That would have to be in 1967, early ’68.
    ‘I got my head shaved for the first time in Lewis’s department store in 1968. I remember there was a young kid probably getting his first haircut and he was throwing a fit. The barber called me up to the chair, I sat down and he asked what I wanted. I said, “Shave it off.” He did a double-take and asked again. I replied, “Shave it off,” and he then took the clippers and went right down the middle saying, “You can’t change your mind now.” Meanwhile, the little kid’s eyes were as big as saucers and he stopped screaming. His dad took him by the hand and they left the shop. Mind you, when I got home my mum had a fit! I believe I was the first in Sea Mills to do that voluntarily, other than the kids who had their hair cut every Saturday morning by their fathers who only knew one way to cut hair!’

12. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Love this.Anyone else have a story about getting cropped?My first crop I walked into the barber with hair to my ass.He was very excited and happy(he was an old guy.Pre hippie barber.)It's still a great feeling shaving the head(I gots my own clippers No.0 no guard)

13. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Its gone quiet on here :)

14. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

Here's a little poser for everyone -

What did you spend your first weeks wages on?

In the summer of 1971 I started work in a Marine engineers. I was paid £10 per week. With National Insurance taken out I was left with about £9.50, which I was allowed to keep as it was my first wage packet.

That Saturday I went to Disclands in Oldham and bought Tamla Motown Chartbusters Volumes 1 and 3. (We already had Volumes 2 and 4) They cost £2.25 each so that was almost half my wages on two L.Ps!

15. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

My first week`s wages was £5, in the hand, in `65.I paid my Mum £2,went to the Record Shop and got the Junior Walker Single-"I`m A Roadrunner" for 6/8p,that left me just over £2 for Clothes and going out.Right from the start I had discount on Clothes,because of working in a Gentlemans`Outfitters.I have written previously about my time there.:)