1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

There is brief reference in this text about the influence of continental style on the Mod movement. I am very interested on 60s Italian style, red a little on the subject, and this is just a little reflection about it. Hope i'm not too off topic, but i think that Italian style (in the wider meaning) really influenced mods...To suedeheads. (As usual, my English is not perfect, sorry for that.)

Is Italian style an art ?

The renowned Italian style for men seemed to appear just after the end of WW2. Then, Italian style, on the sides of the more conservative English style and of the more relaxed American style, became a new reference for elegance.
    In the early fifties appeared the main line of Italian style for men, very distinctive : bright and pastel colors, fitted suits, dark ties, black or white poplin shirts, knitted polos, silk striped jackets, black shades, etc... Then on, until the late sixties, the influence on European (and maybe even American) men's style is mainly italian.

There is an explanation on that: Italy at the time is at its heights. The Italian style can not be separate from the post-war economical success, the force of the textile industry and craftmanship, and from the explosion of italian design and Cinema. Movies are sartorial testimonies of the time: Marcello Mastroianni in Fellini's "Dolce vita", Alain Delon in Visconti's "Rocco e i suoi fratelli" and Antonioni's "L'eclisse", Alain Delon and Maurice Ronet in Clement's "Plein soleil" (Purple noon: a French movie, but shot in Italy).

In the sixties Italian style, everything has a meaning: clothes are fitted, but with a little room to be relaxed, the length of the trousers is short but still smart, the short jacket and short trousers are said to come from the scooter use: more practical...

In the time (and still now, i guess) four cities were influential:
    Rome, the capital city, leader of fashion in 1960; Milan, with all the small tailors that became fashion icons and industries; Napoli, city of the Camorra gangster's with their striped suits, Panama, and bicolore shoes; and Firenze knowned for quality footwear...

So yes, in my opinion, Italian style: design, cinema, and clothing, is an art, still influential to this day.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  2. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

I find with people especially on the Skinhead scene, Their is people who think they are smart, people who are smart, people who have not a clue..and people who don't care a fcuk. :D

3. bunty

bunty Senior member

[​IMG]

Portsmouth Mods @ the Mecca approx. 1968/9

I'm not sure of those dates though?

4. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

Black / dark shirt and white / lighter tie - oh dear!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  5. Inks

Inks Senior member

Alain Delon was also dressed well in Melville's films, as were the women (especially Cathy Rosier in Le Samourai) But Melville had a very American-influenced style. Jean Seberg in Godard's, A bout de soufflé is very Mod.
    As for the Italian style of 60s cinema, I think Marcello Mastroianni was one of the best dressed gents, especially in Otto e Mezzo. The square, Prada spr07f he wears, are the best sunglasses I've ever seen.

6. bunty

bunty Senior member

[​IMG]

Brian "Dobbie" Dolan 1971

7. ek77

ek77 Senior member

another well known pic:
    [​IMG]

and some new additions i´ve not seen on here before:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

plus a background story:

"As the (Anti- english occupation of Northern Ireland) march entered Renfield Street, James Cook (16, Glasgow), who was carrying one pole of a banner bearing IRA slogans, was slashed in the neck with an open razor by Brian Stewart (17, Glasgow), an apprentice electrician. Stewart was seen to draw the open razor from his pocket and severely injure Cook, causing a seven-inch wound which exposed the jugular vein.

Plain clothed Detective Inspector George Johnston (44), who was in the front of the Irish sympathisers’ march, saw what had happened and went after Brian Stewart, who had tried to run away. In the end, he caught Stewart but Johnston himself was slashed as well during a struggle in which the youth brought the razor down on the right side of D.I. Johnston’s face. The wound was four-and-a-half inches long and needed 2 stitches.”

8. Basset

Basset Senior member

Superb pic, various lengths of hair, some cracking suits, all displaying various style elements, jacket bottoms, square, and rounded, lapels in various widths and shapes

9. Basset

Basset Senior member

He looks like he did alright with it thou ;-)

10. Ivyskin89

Ivyskin89 Senior member

Do you think that's a dog ear collar shirt he's wearing?

11. bunty

bunty Senior member

12. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

The only person I recognise for certain is the lad front middle, Ray Wilkinson, funny enough he lived in West Kilburn 2 mins walk from where i did..we also went to school together..but he hung around with the Neasden mob..
    The school i went to Aylestone High, was in Brondesbury Park which bordered on Kilburn and Willesden, so you had lads from both mobs going to the same school.

13. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

I remember that a slight 'gangster' influence crept into mod clothes, very briefly, in 1967 up in Blackpool. This was due to the movie Bonnie and Clyde. Maybe the bloke with the white tie is showing left-overs from the same influence down his way? Just guessing.

14. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Pompey were always known to be behind it a bit......:)

15. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Can only repeat what Basset has written.An excellent example of the changing Styles.

16. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

A brave policeman. Seems the thug got eight years for the attack (and probably a kicking down the police station).
    http://theballroomblitz.wordpress.com/2013/08/25/story-photo-glasgow-skinhead-razor-attack-1971/

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  17. Mr Knightley

I must admit I had to Google those Prada shades. They are fantastic but I don't recall that style featuring in the skinhead wardrobe. Don't they look bang up to date today?

18. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I remember lads wearing the plain coloured Ben Shermans that we have already talked about here ( red,navy,black ) with a white tie in 71,I wasnt keen on the plain white tie idea ( and I am not now ) I prefer ( ed ) a striped tie..
    I have thought about a black button down recently,but finding one with long sleeves and slim fit has proved impossibe so far.

19. Mr Knightley

I recall a 70s variation on that theme - chocolate brown shirt and cream tie. Yuk! The view implicit in my sartorial upbringing was that the tie should always be darker than the shirt. I'm sure I have broken the rule on occasions.....

20. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member