Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Me too, but currently I only have enough raw material for a 'Patrick Stewart'.

2. buttons

buttons Senior member

On that subject, I get a different answer on this depending on where you were living and how old you were, but:

when do you remember the crop as being the cool haircut to have?
    Did you ever have a crop? If not, what?
    When did you grow it? what was the turning point?
    What did you ask for at the barbers?

3. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I remember going into the Barbers(`67) and asking for the no.4.At that time Mods were having it cropped-but spikey.To me ,this was the smart end.As time progressed no.2 became fashionable(mid `68),this was when I saw my first Skinhead-as we know it.In the Picture of me ,at my Sister`s Wedding,I am growing-so that a natural Parting could be used.Suedehead was beginning to come in bigtime.By the end of `70,my Hair was reaching the Collar.i had it cut(but not too short)to start in a Butchers Shop but after that it went Shoulder Length- the top was still shorter-with a Parting.

4. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Senior member

This almost mirrors my experience. I got my first No.4 haircut in early 1968 as a 14, nearly 15 year old.Within about 3 months everyone at school had the same.Some of my mates had a no.2 with a razor parting. We had short hair before that anyway, some with crew cuts and others with 'cheap and cheerful' haircuts.We all starting going to 'so called' unisex hairdressers, but we never saw any women in there.I had a no.4 for about a year and then started to grow it. By 1971 I had shoulder length hair (top shorter as per Browniecj) and so did all my mates. Kept that for 3/4 years and then back to a college length for my office job in 1975.

5. bunty

bunty Senior member

I've asked the same sort of questions Buttons -

Short, Mod 'urchin' hair cut ('66) gave way to college boy then short crop (3 or 4) for one summer (think it was '69) That was the last short hair cut for quite a few years. Most of the younger kids had the more severe barnets.

Dad liked it but mum, doormen and a lot of the girls didn't. That buggered that then!

What's strange is for some kids, hair was longer in the early 60's, then got shorter, whereas for 'normals' it was the other way round.

In '63 whilst at school, after showering following football, the lads combed their damp hair forwards like The Beatles for a laugh, they quickly got hauled in and were told to get hair cuts. The headmaster was having none of it on hearing their protests that all they had done was combed it differently. Next day back at school, brushed back with a little brycleem they were told 'That's better' :D Not long afterwards they saw their first Mod in Waltham Cross (he was probably lost) and RSG! was first aired.

6. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

Can't remember the time line?

Mod "Urchin" ....yeah that's it Bunty !Bit spiky.

College Boy

Shoulder length by '72

Never had a crop.Tried a cut in parting at one point and hated it.

7. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

[​IMG]
    Gibsons in Isleworth TK Max today £199 .

8. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

I had a number 4 originally, in October 1969 - I and 2 mates were the first skinheads in the school, aged 14. They both had number 3s. I later also had a number 3.

[​IMG]

This photo was taken 4 weeks after a crop. Pretty much this image all through 1970 until mid-late 1971. I still kept it short (this style but a little longer, cut with scissors) until summer 1972 (which was the end of suedehead to us) then grew it into something I can best describe as a short Noddy Holder! Must have looked a right state!!! Eventually had it cut shorter again at the end of summer 1973 to go away to college. I had the shortest hair there!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  9. Ivyskin89

Ivyskin89 Senior member

10. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

11. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

Summer 69 1/2 inch / number 4 crop - loved it. Not many had shorter as girls did not like it that short and you could get taken for a Borstal Boy

Around 74 started to grow longer but hated it and kept shortish and tidy then 30 odd years ago hair started to begin to get sparse and I purchased set Wahl clippers and gradually crop got shorter and shorter and been number 1 for some years with wide gutter parting !!

12. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Senior member

I had forgotten the influence of girls and wanting to avoid the borstal boy look. I now remember we called it 1/2 inch crop not a no.4. Psychos went for the 1/4 or 1/8 inch look! I also ended up with the Wahl clippers when hair started to disappear and now do my own hair without using any comb guide. Is that a no. 0 ?

13. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Bought these Allen Edmonds Gibsons from USA a couple of years ago..Full Calf leather .....still not broken em in. We have talked about the Apron on the front of the shoe that is a little different from the Royals ...but its as near as..I think.:) [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  14. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

Bexley do shoes like that for 129 euros. Looks like camel toe to me though.

http://www.bexley.com/Bexley/en/p/dress_shoes/paddingtonclassic/derby_shoes?coloris=noir

Squire shop Gibsons were closer to Tuf style shoes - a smaller split, not half way up the front of the shoe.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  15. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

The East End is certainly vibrating more to Reggae again.Last night ,"early doors" Session at the Horse and Groom,Curtain Road,EC2-Rocksteady,Reggae and a bit of Dj.All good stuff.Free to get in!!!! I didn`t think the No.4 was "Borstal"-mind you,my Parents had a Fit when I first walked in with it!!!:)