1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Well-Known Member

Original Birmingham Mod, Gill Evans in the early 60s:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Well-Known Member

That's close to what I remember,but his was single breasted and almost looked like patent leather.I think Brian Jones ws a big influence.

3. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Well-Known Member

By 1967 me and my mates were exploring what was to become the skinhead look. This family group was taken in the spring of 1967 (I can date it pretty precisely because it was taken on the occasion of my parent's upcoming 20th Wedding Anniversary, which is mid June) and my hair at least was becoming much shorter. The clothes were evolving....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  4. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Well-Known Member

I am thoroughly convinced those guys at the beginning of the video are not speaking English, also interesting to see they are drinking Sol Mexican beer.

5. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

They aren't; they're speaking Geordie![​IMG]

6. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Well-Known Member

Haha the ironic thing is they seem more understandable in their old age so perhaps they were just drunk or high in the video making them less understandable.

7. flyfronted

flyfronted Well-Known Member

The further you leave the source the more exagerated things get .

8. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Well-Known Member

Mr Knightley..I think that evolving is a word that can be used in a lot of the situations that have been discussed here,skinheads and their look didn't just happen they evolved...organised hooliganism didn't just happen it evolved.
    I think that ( some ) people want simple answers ie Casuals came about because Scousers went thieving whilst following Liverpool FC in Europe....a nice simple explanation but I am sure that as in most situations many contributing factors came together and it evolved.
    Would I be correct in saying that the look reached its peak in 71 and then without being able to evolve any more that things had to change to an opposite image ? from the stylish cultured suedehead look to the comical crass smoothie .

9. Pressure_Drop

Pressure_Drop Well-Known Member

Just found this photo of my brother-in-law, Gareth, he grew up in Exeter - think this was his last civvy photo before he joined the Army in 1969ish as a boy soldier (he left a few years back - Brigadier or something, not bad for a council house kiddy). I think he's got a touch of the young David Bowie about him.

[​IMG]

10. browniecj

browniecj Well-Known Member

That photo has answered a question for me.In the 60s it was always said that the Lapels were slim.Up to `68 they were,then they got slightly wider- as your Brother-in-Law shows(`69),Pressure_Drop.I could remember this,but when?This was just before they got wider still-also about this time I started copying the American idea of pressing back the Lapel so the top button was folded back,giving a deeper look and wider Lapel.

11. browniecj

Good Photo.If I remember correctly they came in other colours.

12. browniecj

A Birmingham Mod in Trafalgar Square!!!

13. browniecj

"Butter would not melt in your Mouth",Mr.Knightley......:fonz:

14. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Well-Known Member

Just came across these Cheaney Boots.They are not on the Cheaney website,but are the same design as the Fiennes model,in a different leather.I'm thinking that they will look O.K. when broken in a bit.Has anyone had experience with them?
    [​IMG]

15. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Well-Known Member

Brilliant... you look like one of the families on Robert Robinson's 'Ask the Family'. :nodding: (No offence.) :satisfied:

16. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Well-Known Member

Great pic, pal. :nodding:

17. Basset

Basset Well-Known Member

Stopped evolving in 71?

18. Basset

Basset Well-Known Member

Mac's have popped up, what with the weather change an all that, in terms of practicality it's about the best i can think of when it comes to rain, as mentioned you can get them with a removable lining, i picked one up a few yrs back out of a catalogue, it's not the best in terms of quality, and creases quite easily, but for under 50 bar, i cant complain
    [​IMG]

Mother liked a mac in 69, r kid dont look to impressed with it
    [​IMG]

19. Basset

Basset Well-Known Member

Just had a look on there site, i see the've got the 'Velt' welt on them. They look a good quality boot, fit for the purpose of.... and will probably last you a lifetime

20. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Well-Known Member

That's bang on the money Basset.plain and simple but exactly as was worn in the day.It's bloody hard to find something like that in Stone these days.Most have superfluous detail ,wrong length,wrong fabric, etc etc.Having had one in navy as a school kid,i would never buy a dark raincoat again.