Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Just in keeping with the spirit of this thread - the 'social history' angle - it has been said before that Britain was generally more racist (in a casual way, if you know what I mean) than it is today. 'Original skinheads' were just ordinary kids, the vast majority were working class from the cities, would have had a fairly wide spread of views, but those views would have reflected society as a whole, and their upbringing and education and what was being said in the media. In the cities there was a lot of resentment and suspicion of South Asian immigrants - that's just a fact of life in the late 60s, that's how it was.

I always tried not to be racist, but looking back, I'm sometimes surprised by some of the crass things I used to say that I wouldn't say now. I remember thoroughly disliking the way that South Asian lads in their teens and twenties dressed, but on the other hand I had Caribbean and Asian friends at college. Outside of college, most of my mates were white. There were no South Asian mobs round our way, but if there had been and there had been any trouble, I would have pitched in for my mates and not given a thought to the colour of the opposing mob. That's just how it was.

Just saying.

2. Man-of-Mystery

Not really. Things just get slack on here from time to time, until someone comes up with something new. We've done pretty well keeping it going for nearly 775 pages! :)

3. Man-of-Mystery

Not by me, Col. I can remember a few blokes around S E London who let the side down a bit.

4. Man-of-Mystery

What's interesting about the inset shot is the way two of the lads are wearing their shirts outside their waistbands. This is a very 1969 thing. Many shirts back then were slim fit, cut straight and short at the bottom, and lads did wear that style of shirt like this from time to time. I occasionally did it myself, usually with my sta-prest, like the bloke on the right of the shot.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013

5. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Love these photos Past and Present.Would like to see more of them.Given the number of excellent photos posted here I reiterate M.O.M. maybe the Book should be a large coffee table style.

6. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

With Volumes 2 and 3....:D

7. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Especially Bank Holidays if my memory serves me.

8. harrysgame

harrysgame Senior member

Exactly. Id have thought everyone would know it was a tongue in cheek comment.

Anyone with any sense knows that in genral, society was racist in those days. No one thought anything of calling an Asian a P*** or a Caribian a N*****. Not something people do these days and it is frowned apon and quite rightly so. But i bet all of you originals and most people on here, Hand on heart have used those words in the past. Id call you a liar if you havn't as it was common language used in the 60s and 70. As was C**** for chinese people especially restaurants and takeaways. Why is that any different, but i knows loads of people who still use that word these days and think its ok.

Surely the P word is only a shortended word for Pakistani same as Aus for Australia, Jap for Japan, States for United States of America. Just my take on it, surely it should be the way and reasoning you say it for an offence to be taken.

9. harrysgame

harrysgame Senior member

It was a summer look. I have some pictures of my brother in similar style from about 1971.

10. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

There was paki-bashing it is true.

BUT there were not so many Asians around in the late 1960s. Expulsion of Ugandan Asians was in 1972 and that is when they colonised Wembley. Before that Indian kids you met would often have Christian names.

11. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

Early 70s calling a Black kid a Nigger would have got you a slap .. i had plenty of well dressed black pals and never used that word around em .

12. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

The word PAKI is not racist in itself but it was a term invented by racists so it became racist . If grown men think calling Chinese people Chinkys is ok then they are idiots .

13. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Brits is an abbreviation the same as Paki was and Chink is.So why is ok for People to call us that Name but it is offensive to call the other two?As with the word Nigger,Whites cannot call them that,but the,Black Youth can call themselves Niggaz,and it is looked upon as "Street Cred".I was told off for calling an American a Yank(on another Forum)but there have been Film Titles with that word in it.I think People have become oversensitive.We older one had Fathers who fought for this Country,for Democracy-now we have Fascists telling us what to think and do.

14. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

To me there is no difference between a Right Wing Nazi and a Left Wing Marxist-yet one is demonised and one is hero worshipped.Do not forget,the Communists killed more Jews over the years(but so-called intellectuals ignore that small fact).

15. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

I don't like the term Yank because quite frankly I'm not from the eastern seaboard aka New England and none of my ancestors have lived there since the 1700's.