Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

Beautifully put,Buttons.....oh so true.

2. elwood

elwood Senior member

Quote:
    I remember that very clearly too, roytonboy. This photo of City fans in Vienna for the Cup Winners’ Cup final in April 1970 illustrates the denim & denim combination. Not great quality reproduction but 2nd and 3rd right show what you mention.

[​IMG]

It’s also an interesting “compare and contrast” with some of the photos earlier in the thread showing Chelsea fans in Manchester on the very same day for the FA Cup Final replay. (I realise I’m setting this up for comments about Northerners’ sartorial standards [​IMG]).

3. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Denim Jackets and Jeans Combination was widespread all over the North 60s70s....That why us Chelsea did not wear Denim Jackets...yes i know this is all been said by me before.. and yes someone will have a pic of a Londoner with a denim jacket on....but it was 99.9% Northern kit.:D

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013

4. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

:brick: :)Happy Easter!

5. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

Its in greater manchester isnt it ? i went there with Chelsea in the 70s n 80s .

6. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

Stamford Bridge was infested with early - mid teen Boneheads waving there copies of Bulldog around 1980 .

7. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

I would have missed that Flyfronted...I stopped going down Chelsea in 73...Started going back in 95 with my two Sons.:)

8. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

When the talk is football I don't have much to say.But as we are talking Soul music here is my story.I was born in 66.My moms record collection was Stax/Volt,Motown/Tamla.She died when I was 7 and her records were my prized possessions.At the time I was learning classical piano but wanted to be a soul singer.I thought that wasn't possible as I was White.I bought the first Who record when I was 9 (1975) That was when I learned about Mods and Mod groups like the Who doin American Soul(James Brown etc.) I started learnin Soul songs by ear off records.When Punk came there was a band called the Jam doin the Mod thing and doin Soul songs(with a Punk edge ) It wasn't tuff to put 2 and 2 together and so Mod was a natural way for me to go.Then 2 tone made me aware of the original ska and rocksteady.Thanks to M.O.M. for backin me up on the Northern Soul records.Glad I'm not the only one who feels that way about it.In defense of NS I will say there are some unique elements to NS.The rhythm is a little different leading to a specific type of dancing(which I admire).Some of those songs were proto disco which I don't mind(later disco was so obvious) I find the NS scene interesting as a subculture and as an extension of Mod.Happy Holidays(passover and easter)

9. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Just got this pic off FB permission from Bob,
    I was told by my mate Noreen she had to go to the Barbers to get a crop as the hairdressers would not cut her long hair off.she was 14 in 69.

[​IMG]

10. McDermott

McDermott Well-Known Member

Isnt that just it..
    Put a gun to my head i would say i was a skinhead/suede, but you could maybe take me and drop me in mutiple 'time periods' and im sure I would, at a push and few adaptions, fit in.
    I wear boots less and the obvious stuff, never owned a MA-1, wanted to distance myself from the oi!/punk side of it for sure (not that I dislike it or am a snob too much about it, just not for me - skinhead has to start and end somewhere else we end up with beards band t shirts trainers and hoodies..'Yeah im a skinhead') and the politics of course. Ive said before the key to looking sharp now is not for people to say 'theres a skinhead' (as the publics perception is so warped) but for people to say 'Bloody hell..smart lad that'. Moved more into Tailoring and smarter one off items. I suppose i could be a Mod with short hair, A skinhead with long hair, a Soulie with short hair, a Ivy League inspired 'stylist'...To me there all the same thing. Weve said before they were people at the time who ignored or where most likely 'unaware' of the labels. I believe it is a attittude and presence to dressing. Talking Northern soul, look at The twisted wheel photos. Change the Hair on some, how wide the bottoms are on the trews, obscure details like collar height etc and them boys are either 'Soulies' 'Mods' 'Skinheads' 'Suedeheads' , 'ivy leagures'...(we know which ones because of the time period..but you see the point!)
    .[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Re : Northern Soul. Now this is a tricky one. My Dad was i suppose the 'Generic' Soulboy back in the 70's, having done soul nights elsewhere, The first allnighter attend at the Central @ Leeds, then he was hooked. This is the 'baggies and badges' era, but before that as has been mentioned 'Northern soul' was played alongside motown and stax etc, and reggae etc at clubs all round the Uk. So i was introduced to it at a young age ( one earliest memory actually is my dad playing 'temptations -Cant get next to you' in the car, each time the piano 'hold it now..hold it..' bit would start he'd rewind to beginning, act like he was going to play it again...then do it again. about 6 times, before letting the track run !!! Used to piss me off as id be laughing...)
    Northern soul is most likely, one of the BROADEST terms to give to a musically genre. Youve got Classic Gritty 60's soul, through to what would be considered Funk or early disco by some. I pretty much (selectively) like it all. The trouble is is that the obvious, SHITE stuff has become cliched and attached to the genre (Wank wilson, Do i hate you, Indeed i Do). And without lying, the stuff youll hear at most comerical 'come relive your youth!!' all-nighters now. This is why people are put off....for the record whoever said it was obscure stuff and most of it was 'newly discovered' because it was shit before..sorry blatantly not true. There are some cracking records that were discovered and never played. Yes, there was a one up man ship and still is, like with most scene. When 'Sweet Soul music' Arthur conley was first introduced, it was played 17 times in one night at the wheel. When it was readily available to buy at woolworths or wherever shortly after it was never played again there.

Groovin to this as i speak..Gritty !

11. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

+

12. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

That is a good Tune,McDermott.I will always say that I am a 60s Soul Boy,but that does not mean I only listen to that Decade`s Output.I actually like Frank Wilson-but I would not pay the money for it :).

13. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Did not see any Girls in the Barbers,when I went in the 60s.Must have gone to the wrong ones :)

14. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

That was me, and I'm sticking to my opinion, having deliberately listened to as many 'Northern Soul' records as I could find. Yes there were some good ones that had been overlooked (like Willie Mitchell's 'That Driving Beat' - see below), but the majority of them were eminently forgettable.

15. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

I'm not saying that account was wrong, or that pic was a set-up, but the regular girls' crop was a specific feminine style, and all the girls I knew went to ladies' hairstylists to get it done. Later, in 1972, my girlfriend's glam bubble-perm went wrong, and she went to a hairstylist to get a Mia Farrow pixie cut.