1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

I remember well these Tartan miniskirt. There was a big fad around here when i was a kid, let's say between 1971-1974.
    Some girls looked lovely in it. they used to put a big safety pin in the skirt, think that's the scottish way.

Speaking of the look (Lacoste, French air force flight jacket, paraboot or army boots) that some French skins developed in the 80s, i think it was mainly a Parisian thing, and not among all crew. As i already said most wore the classic MA-1, in different colors to show on what side they stand. I have to say most of them were nationalists.There is another variation, still in use among the right wing guys:
    Leather american flight jacket, BD, Lacoste, jeans, sta-prest or chinos, aviators, army boots or paraboots.

This is a picture shot in 2012. I am not associated at all with right wing activists. Just put this picture to show the look they adopted. Bandanas are not part of the look, but they are useful for other reasons.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  2. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

anyone spot a decent dressed 'skin' - dont even start me about the two n eight sorts.

3. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

I couldn't bear to watch it for more than a minute or so.

4. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

5. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Not my sort of thing at all... ugh. :slayer:

6. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

7. Inks

Inks Senior member

I'm glad you posted that photo. I'm staying in the 18eme in Paris with my wife for a week in March. I'm now going to leave my A-2 and sunglasses at home. Wearing that jacket and carrying a billard cue will probably result in me being arrested in Paris, or worse.

[​IMG]

8. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Clouseau.....When I said British style I don't mean in a Nationalist way,just as a clothing look,so where we see those Italian guys we would recognise them as an Italian from their clothing style so I would make an British look.
    BTW,I remember the big pins the girls wore in their skirts,I think that they are called Kilt pins.

9. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Cerneabbas. I know you didn't mean in a Nationalist way. It's because you talked about French skinhead style that i wanted to precise things a little. And that lots of you folks mentioned A-2, and i had to say that they are sometimes, at least here, wear by strange people... (In fact they are some kind of a uniform for the right wing in France since the early seventies).

So Inks, it's true that if you wear your A-2 flight jacket (we call them just "flight" here) in Paris, if your hair are short, and you have Aviators, there could be misunderstandings...

10. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

That's actually good to know! I'm in Paris probably once a year and I have an Eastman Leather A2 and tend to wear aviators...

11. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Well, i guess it depends too of your attitude. The problem in France is that in people's mind a skinhead is inevitably a bonehead. The "subculture" is not in the culture like in England. But about A2 , they still are great jackets...

12. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I agree that the A2 is a great looking jacket,but like the Alpha flying jackets people have their ideas about what meanings they might have.
    I find the flight jackets a bit short and I would like to find a jacket a bit longer than a Harrington for the winter months,maybe the length of a Barbour jacket ( but not a Barbour jacket ). I was wondering if anyone here wears a longer jacket as I am a bit stuck for an idea.

13. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

I love my leather flying jacket and my shades, and I'm not going to stop wearing it just because of some racist nutters in Paris. I have my own politics, they have theirs, and we're poles apart. But one of the main reasons I like this thread is that we have managed to reclaim the way we look(ed) from the politics. Sure, we needed to talk about how society was in the time the look evolved, but that was that. I would no more give up my A1 jacket than I would give up my MA2 jacket just because someone associates it with politics; I had that once at a West Indian carnival in Liverpool (early 1980s) when I was queueing for food, and some (white) bloke came up to me demanding to know what I was doing there in short hair and a skinhead jacket. I gave him short shrift, I can tell you! What made me laugh at the time was that none of the rastas and other black people there could have given a James Clark Ross what I was wearing!

I do wear my A1 during the winter, but I also have a tailored overcoat that looks a little like a Crombie, but clearly isn't, and a shorter wool coat that looks a bit like a donkey jacket but clearly isn't. If you see what I mean (I've had it for years - I got it from the Hawkshead catalogue). The weather here in Perth has just turned a little colder, so I have put my Levi jackets away. I might get a chance to wear my Harrington a few times before winter, but basically it's time for more serious coats now.

14. Man-of-Mystery

Everyone seems to be getting on fine without them. :D

15. Man-of-Mystery

This picture reminds me a lot of some pictures I once saw in a mail-order catalogue (Littlewoods?) my mum had in about 1970. Obviously the mail order company was trying to cash in on trends observed on the street, but got there late. Their 1970 catalogue, for example, had a couple of girl models wearing Trevira suits, which were by then a bit 'last year' (in London anyway). In the pic we have above, the girl on the right is wearing a mini skirt with a diagonal tartan, like girls were wearing in S E london in early 1970. The knee socks and clumpy shoes have a 'cosplay' look to them, like skinhead schoolgirls might have worn, but with the shoes black. This could be a photo from any time after 1969 up to today, but if it is a catalogue pic, I would say no earlier than 70/71. I would say that the models are in their 20s, by the way, and are rather gorgeous. (Don't tell Mrs Mystery I said that!)

16. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

MoM, nobody asks you to give up your A-2 or MA-1 ! In the streets of Perth you will probably meet more people in kilt (girls and boys i guess [​IMG], bonnie Scotland ) than "racist nutters".

17. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I am the same,I will wear what I want,but I am aware that people can or do make judgements on what people wear...I am guilty of doing it myself..I work in the centre of Bristol ( mostly) and if I see anyone wearing Dr Marten boots I think that they are probably going into one of the gay bars there ( unless they are female,in which case they are probably a first year student at the university,seen two girls like this since the students started back ) I wasn't sure what to make of the bloke I saw in Asda last week wearing one Dr Marten boot and one unknown boot,maybe he wasn't sure himself ?
    I am aware that people wont agree with me,and I am probably wrong for making judgements about what people wear..but I bet I am not the only one who does it.

18. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

Not that I am in any way a style icon........

I have 2 ''Barbour length' suede jackets (one tan, one deep rose brown) that I wear in the winter. I usually sport them over jeans and a Levi Jacket if cold, or occasionally minus the Levi Jacket if a bit milder. I wear rose brown brogues with the dark one and mid tan shoes with the light one. I wouldn't wear a blue Levi Jacket and blue jeans together on their own these days, but somehow feel quite good with a suede jacket over the top. One problem though, suede is no good in the wet!

19. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  20. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

roytonboy..The jackets that I have seen that I like best are leather ones ,probably similar to your suede jackets.....great on dry cold or windy days (as were sheepskins ) but as you say no good in the wet and I cant find a showerproof version.
    I am not keen on the Barbours they look like fox hunt followers coats but are usually seen on estate agents in the city,the quilted ones look like you should be going to a gymkhana,i don't feel ready for a car coat and I hope that I never do feel ready.
    As usual it seems like anything stylish isn't very practical,a winter jacket that you cant wear in the rain isn't great for Englands climate but I don't want a "military" looking job that makes it look like I am off too Afghanistan,or one of the padded ones that look like the Michelin man....