Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Yes I used to go to The Norfolk(both Friday Nights and Saturday-when you had a "Special" on).I am actually named in the Article regarding the Norfolk.Terry is a good Friend of mine,and I still see a lot of the old crowd now.In fact there is another Night in the East End(Horse and Groom,Curtain Road,EC2).It is co-run by my old Partner-in Crime(running Soul Dos)Mark Houghton-Binsy Taylor who is mentioned in the Article,also co runs that night.The Area is buzzing with Soul again.:)

2. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

:brick:

3. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

God forbid they dress like normal blokes.

4. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Thanks Tom.Great read.

5. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Soul will never die browniecj.Every generation discovers it and it is re-born and kept alive.

6. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

I wore mine to the last home game!

7. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

'Built for comfort', eh? :D

8. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

On the other hand, I can remember that in 1970 onwards I felt that Tamla Motown had become too slick. True there were some great records like the Temptations' 'Papa Was A rolling Stone', but most Motown stuff seemed over-produced. Some early New Orleans funk (like The Meters' 'Cissy Strut') was good, but I can see how people missed the kind of soul and Tamla sounds from the 1960s.

My major quarrel with the 'Northern Soul' scene was always that it was too narrow-minded. It managed to dig out a lot of obscure records, but when you heard the majority of them you realised why they were obscure in the first place - they simply weren't that good!

9. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

No it will not,because People want to go out and play it.A Footnote on the Horse and Groom.Between 5;30 and 6;30 pm(on the same night)they have a Jamaican Dj spinning Rocksteady and Early Reggae.How good is that?I will mix with your "City Types" just to listen to most of my favourite Styles of Music. :)

And a lot of the ones that are big,big money,M-o-M.

10. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

Well recalled. Back in 1970 my girlfriend lugged one of those wicker baskets everywhere. They were a pain as they took up room when you sat down somewhere together and the basket would be jabbing you in the leg. With their open design people could see what was in them and her mates were always taking items out of it, Pretty useless fashion accessory of the era. I had forgotten all about them - they were not popular for long

11. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

What Soul and Ska did for me,was they opened up a whole wide World of Sounds.I do not think I can be "Pigeonholed" in my Tastes.I visit Clubs that play Northern,then I also visit Clubs(one of which I am going to over Easter)where Blues,Rythmn and Blues,Soul,Ska,Jazz,Boogaloo etc.will be spun.I can listen to Blues made in the 20s and 30s,Jump Blues,Mento,Calypso etc.That is what growng up in the 50s and going out to Clubs in the 60s has meant to me.:D

12. TomMc666

TomMc666 Senior member

Think it was similar to me in a way in terms of opening up different sounds. 'Inheriting' my uncles original record collection had a major influence on me. I'd been into punk early on and had got into garage etc. My uncle - and me aunts and cousins - told me they'd like reggae etc but were more into soul in 68-71 - probably also helped by the fact that my older uncles and aunts etc had been mods and similarly had been into soul, blues, R&B. His record collection had a really good selection of about 40 or 50 reggae, bluebeat and ska albums but its was the larger number of soul albums that got my attention - the first one I played was the This is Soul sampler on Atlantic, to my mind one of the best samplers, and that was it I was hooked. It was from there my collecting soul, blues, R&R and later early funk really started big time. A great period then getting hold of decent records mainly at a sensible price from shops in Caledonian Road to Berwick Street, Rock On at Camden to Soho and down the Lane. Also in odd places, I remember a discount store in Barking opening up in 79 around the corner from the Barge Aground pub and for some reason they'd go hold of original Motown, Stax, Trojan, Pama and many more labels - all in pristine condition- and were selling them for like 50p each.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013

13. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

Soul moves on anyway .. 60's Soul to 70s's funk to 80's House and onwards . British kids of all colours now have Soul inprinted in there DNA .

14. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Bloody hell,wish I had visited that Shop.By then I was going to Spooky Lady,Room At The Top,Lacy Lady etc.,well into Jazz and Jazz Funk.

My biggest Influence was my Mum.She had Albums of the Platters,Ink Spots etc.,so I got into the Harmonising Groups very early.My Eldest Sister was into R&R.Her favourite Singer(behind Elvis)was Little Richard-now he opened up the "Devil`s Music" :)

15. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

What do you think Skinhead was in 1969 ? it was THE fashion unlike in 79 when it was a youth cult .Youth cults as opposed to 'fashions' always take things to the extreme and lose the initial sharpness and actual fashion side of the original scene they ape . The late 70s Soul scene in London was all about labels and getting it right - aspirational dressing , looking better than the beer boys - that one upman ship that the original Mods and Skins and later Casuals all had at the core of there dressing.Much better music as well ... no one would swap a Roy ayers import LP for a Bad manners one would they .

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013