1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. harrysgame

harrysgame Senior member

double post

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  2. harrysgame

harrysgame Senior member

Not doubting that he thought the name up. But that genre of music has been played in clubs long before he coined that frase.
    In 1963 there was a Soul do on at Wilby in Northants, The Shades Club in Northampton also played the same style of music that was later named Northern Soul. Northamptonshire had a very big Soul Scene in those days and still does.

3. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

I think we have all agreed on that? It was played from Torquay to Dundee.
    BTW anyone got any info on the Cali' in Dunstable?
    I believe there were a regular crew who travelled far and wide back then.

4. elwood

elwood Senior member

That's right - as the stands got built up higher and higher there was less and less sunlight on the pitch so less grass would grow.

Derby was even worse. I remember seeing City there in about 76 and it was like Blackpool beach they'd put so much sand on to soak up the mud.

5. harrysgame

harrysgame Senior member

Sid Vicious.

6. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I went to see Swindon v Leeds in 1970 its on youtube,so muddy and that wasnt unusual,the funny thing is I preferred the football then,i also enjoyed the terraces,you could wander around and talk to different people,its a bit like the cinema now ( not that I go anymore).
    A lad I was talking to told me that he had lost his shoe in the mud at Derby,when they invaded the pitch after a game.

7. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

The pictures of those girls are on this thread,wearing suits and gingham shirts,the problem is with the Mod comment being made on tv is that thousands of people will swear that they are Mods and not Skinhead girls and so things get a bit more blurred.

8. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

He came across a bit more like Alfie. :D

9. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Saw a bloke ( in his early 60s I think ) wearing a suede Harrington today,i cant remember seeing one before,it was a golden brown colour,just had a plain back ( no "scallops" or whatever you want to call those bits ),I thought that it looked ok although I don't think that I would wear one.

10. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Something like that ?
    [​IMG]
    Looks quite good, but i wouln't wear one too.
    I had plain blue, red, and black in the time. Cheap versions.
    i've got a black Baracuta now. (Bought before the price became insane.)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  11. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

A slightly different colour,the one I saw was like cigarette tobacco colour, I have been trying to remember if I have seen one before but I don't think that I have not even in a shop.

12. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

Saw a bloke ( in his early 60s I think ) wearing a suede Harrington today,i cant remember seeing one before,it was a golden brown colour,just had a plain back ( no "scallops" or whatever you want to call those bits ),I thought that it looked ok although I don't think that I would wear one.
    [/quote)

Brooks Bros have done them for many years,though the older ones used better quality lamb skin IMO.Ralph Lauren also,again with the quality varying depending on the division(polo,RL,purple Label etc)
    Golden Bear also is a good brand.They supplied John Simons with his leather ones.
    All of these have the "batwing" back.BTW.

13. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

(Maybe) not seen that one yet ?

[​IMG]
    Cheers !

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  14. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Thanks Clouseau, I will have a nightmare tonight now.
    I was thinking about those round collar shirts,i remember some where the top of the chest,shoulders ,and the top of the back was a different colour to the rest of the shirt,i think it was called a yoke shirt ?,I remember navy blue and white and they might have been Brutus.
    I am still looking online at jeans,still thinking Lee 100z but it really is a minefield.

15. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Cerneabbas, i was thinking about the recent talk of the beginning and the end. This must be the end... And when you mentioned the "rubbish" clothing...

Well let's go back to the early beginnings. And no nigthmares!
    Mods in Soho. Already close to a suedehead look.
    [​IMG]

16. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Clouseau..Now that's better,interesting to see all those white socks...umbrellas too they were down here much later ( unless I was to young to remember them being here earlier ).
    Raincoats,umbrellas and a couple of silk scarves...I am guessing June or July in England !
    I agree with the theory that Skinheads returned to Mod influences ( in Suedehead ) because the Skinhead look attracted too much attention from the Police and stopped them from going into certain pubs,dance halls etc......much the same as later Skins turned to the Casual look IMO.
    Just noticed that 50p on the sign the picture has to be later than 60s......70s or 80s

17. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Actually, i don't really know when this picture was shot. It's on a site with the title "Suedeheads, 1972".
    but the photo was legended "Mods in the west end, 1965"... Sounds a bit weird on both cases.

18. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

We changed to the "new" money in 1971...so it could be 72 but the white socks and loafers look could be late 70s or 80s IMO.

19. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Went back on the site. It exactly says "Suedehead meet in Soho 1972".
    Maybe some Londoners could give their opinion on the "50p Lovely girls live on stage". [​IMG] Sounds cheap for the 80s?
    The Picture looks/feels quite old, but that may be the Black and white effect...

20. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I wondered about the 50p price,but I don't know,
    I think that the girls skirts might be a clue but I am not sure about that,i do remember girls wearing tweed skirts early 70s.
    I think all those white socks and Weejun type loafers make it look later to me...but I think it could be 72.