1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Hard to think,these youngsters are in their late 50s/early 60s. now.

2. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Yep like You and Me Colin...:D

3. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Good points Lasttye,i never thought about it like that but you are right...I suppose its going to be difficult to add anything new...and I agree that sometimes it does seem well off subject,but I have found out lots of things that I never knew and its rarely boring.
    I am interested in items of clothing / shoes that would not have been worn back in the day but could be worn now with old favourites,for instance brogue boots ( not the ones with boot soles,worn by grouse shooters ) I think that they look smart with a pair of POW check trousers.
    In a way its how we interprate the look now and adapt it to the present day,and for blokes our age,i think it gives everyone a chance to wear what they like,or what suits them rather than wearing the items that were "in" at that time,whilst still keeping to the original theme.

4. elwood

elwood Senior member

Something else learned through this thread, thanks cerneabbas. I had a look at the references to her on the City forum you mentioned. That's a site I'm pretty familiar with (as you might guess) but I hadn't seen that thread before.

As for similar "bovver girls", there were plenty of girls on the Kippax back in the day (Ed's recent PNE photo was a good reminder of how they looked) but I couldn't really say if they got involved like she did.

On longwings, I have a pair of the oxblood Loakes Royals that I'm quite happy with. Got them from Discount Shoes near Victoria Station at a good price. (I think that was on your list for your next London visit?)

I think you put some Charles Tyrwhitt shoes on here a couple of weeks ago? They also do a longwing brogue - listed as Paddington full brogue Derby. Dainite rubber soles - like you I'm quite happy with these for wet weather. I've had a pair for about 18 months and they're a good comfortable everyday shoe, particularly in winter.

Still have an eye on Alden and Allen Edmonds - maybe next year.

5. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

"Is there one song that epitomizes the 60s or the 70s to you" - was your question and although I particularly like 69 - 71 reggae and Motown (and I am sure you thought my selection would come from there) the 2 singles I mention depict the 60s and 70s for me. Back then we had a diverse range of music choice and preferences.

I also liked (and still do) Elvis ballads of the late 60s / early 70s and back in the day if I put him on the jukebox in the boozer I would be bombarded with abuse but the reject button would not be hit. Carley Simon another great singer / songwriter from the early 70s and a pleasure to listen to now - doesn't date

6. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

I have been using this shop for a few years and the value for money is excellent. The father & son team who own the shop are very helpful. Great selection of classic good quality leather shoes.

Only problem is that they do not open Saturdays. Through the week there is a market down their road and is a magnet for local office workers - so I assume they have made their money during the week and no trade on Saturdays as the offices would be closed

7. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

Ed - thanks for this. I watched it and enjoyed it.

8. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Great stuff. :nodding:

We'll have to meet up and have a beer - or 12. :satisfied:

9. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I think that its interesting that its always been the cliché skinheads listened to ska/motown etc,whereas you have shown ( and Lasttye and Gsvs5 ) that you liked other types of music as well,i think that what music a person enjoys is a very personal thing,like a blokes choice in women,very much a case of one mans meat is another mans poison.
    Like I said the other day,i am sure that some people went along with ska and soul while they were skinheads but moved onto something else afterwards,roytonboys post about a popular soul club closing down in 72 proves that IMO.

10. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Senior member

Although I was/am a soul fan If we are talking specifically about 1969 the music that stands out for me is that of Desmond Dekkers' 'The Israelites' and 'It Mek'. His music could be heard in all the places we visited at that time. Many Skinheads turned against Reggae by 1972 but I still liked/like it in small doses.Today, I mainly listen to Classical music in my car, to help me avoid road rage incidents.

11. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Except for Wagner !
    I was remembering that in about 1971 we were all wearing Dr Martens to school ( I think that the previous strict uniform policy was being relaxed ) I was in a music lesson where Strauss Blue Danube was played and all the lads stamping in time with their boots,it was one of my happier school memories.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  12. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

That London list got a bit long,i think I will have to split it over a couple of visits.
    Funny that you should mention Dainite soles,i have been thinking of what I want to buy for winter,and I have decided on a pair of boots or shoes ( not black ) with Dainite soles.
    After looking about online I found the Herring Grassmere and the Herring Langdale ( both made by Cheaney ) they both look good in the pictures,nice colour,with that grain leather ...i just cant choose which one i prefer..sorry i still haven't mastered putting up pictures but they are on the Herring shoes website.

13. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

Borehamwood Skinheads outside The Red Lion Pub 1969

This photo happens to be one of my favorites from the time.i know it's semantics, but I would say they were Mods.To me this is where it crossed over This was the look carried by many throughout the next few years.Longer jeans,longer hair,no boots.
    This is also the best depiction of the girls hair styles of the time.Twiggy style,without the severity of the crop/feather.

Of course We only catch a glimpse in this image.it's a shame there are not more from the same scene/location.

it always reminds me of the vintage Italian classic of the guys on the street corner all ogling the beautifull girl.

14. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

Terry first went to the Arsenal to take photos of Skinheads and got chatting to some young skinheads from Borehamwood. so he came down on a Friday night to take photos of these young Skinheads and that was one of the photo's outside the Red Lion pub. after he had finished taking the photos he popped in the Red Lion for a pint and us older Skinheads was in the Pub drinking and playing darts. and that is how he got talking to us and that is how the photo of us walking passed the Hippies came about.

This confirms my idea that this was certainly at the defining period for many.The (older) lads from inside the Red Lion who were used in the Hippy photo shoot were all uniformily dressed and wore the traditionally accepted skinhead look.i am sure this was a conscious decision also on the part of the photographer to strengthen the image he was looking for.

15. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

Talking of discount shoes at Strutton Ground led me to this place in Wimpol St.
    I personally have never been there,but they carry Crocket & Jones amongst others at good discounted prices I believe.Might be worth a look cerneabas?

http://www.johnrushtonshoes.com/stocked-manufacturers

16. rettalking

rettalking New Member

The same as the rest of us, ska, reggae, original rock n roll and hard rock.
    [​IMG]

17. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

I hear you loud and clear, mate! :)

Incidentally I've just watched 'The Culture Show' on Northern Soul. I can say a couple of things. Firstly I recognise some dance moves from the Wheel in '68, so the dancing isn't all 'Bruce Lee' moves. Secondly, whoever picked the music for that programme seems to have picked the best - there wasn't a dud among them (and I've heard plenty!).

It was good to see people only about ten years younger than myself paying tribute to and still participating in something that had meant so much to them in their youth. I thought the couple, the bloke with the bonehead cut and sideboards and his wife with henna hair, were... well... charming.

18. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

I wouldn't have called this lad exactly 'posh', btw, any more than I'm 'posh'.

19. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Thanks for that,i had a look,a couple of nice pairs of longwings pictured and he made some interesting comments in the video,especially about the Italian bloke telling him to dress English.

20. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

Have to say though I was looking forward to the Culture Show,I really did not enjoy seeing how some of the participants still dress as they did 40 years ago.Still dancing and enjoying the music ,yes,but knowing when you look stupid is another thing entirely.The Bruce Lee influence? minimal and later,if any?
    Some of those young kids are great dancers and have a great attitude.All of the archive footage has been seen before,showing again,just how little there is.
    It would be great to see a definitive documentary that wasn't Wigan centric and tied in the early London Mods,Mojo,Wheel,Cats and Coffee Bar scene.